Hawaii cruise; must I get off to visit Mexico?

jebbs

After five days at sea, why not get off, get some good Mexican food, buy some souvenirs and stretch your legs? Never understand why packing is a big deal. Not worried about wrinkles, so I guess pack everything tight' takes about one hour.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Glad you enjoyed the show!  I think it  provides a glimpse of what is a very unique and special place.  I simply shake my head at those that are dismissive of Baja as not being worthy to visit or of being some kind of crime-ridden shooting gallery.  San Diego without Tijuana and Baja to the south wouldn't be nearly as nice a place to live.

Because I enjoy the outdoors, particularly when water is involved, I would enjoy going there. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

After five days at sea, why not get off, get some good Mexican food, buy some souvenirs and stretch your legs? Never understand why packing is a big deal. Not worried about wrinkles, so I guess pack everything tight' takes about one hour.

While there are good reasons to stay on the boat, many people don't have one as good as they think. I agree completely that after 5 days with the exact same environment, I'm getting off, if even for a little. If even just to walk around without spending money. I would most likely grab some Birria tacos though. What's the alternative? A 6th day on the boat before you go home to normal life? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

Montezuma's revenge?

Seriously, this is much more of a myth than reality.  I personally wouldn't eat fruit off of a cart in the street, but inside any restaurant in Ensenada will be fine.  You can even ask for a glass of water and you'll be OK.  Remember, these restaurants have businesses they want to protect and grow.  Cruising in Ensenada is just a small fraction of the city's overall business - even tourism.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

On my last cruise I did get off in Ensenada just to wander around town.  As a single guy I was offered "services" as I passed a brothel and also encouraged to enter pharmacies to purchase items that I would need a prescription from in the United States.  Not partaking of either I returned to the ship in short order.   

However, it sounds like there might be some other options if you take an organized tour either from the ship or a private provider.

Years back there was a tour to a film studio where Titanic was filmed.  That was a lot of fun, but it has now closed.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2021 at 4:17 PM, Smokeyham said:

However, it sounds like there might be some other options if you take an organized tour either from the ship or a private provider.

Years back there was a tour to a film studio where Titanic was filmed.  That was a lot of fun, but it has now closed.

You don't really need to take a tour.  All you need to do is a bit of research.

While a bit far for independent travel from the cruise, their is a small fishing "village" and area of restaurant just north of the studio called Popotla.  You can buy a fish and then have one of the restaurants prepare it for you.  It's more rustic than the more popular Puerto Nuevo, but more authentic in terms of a beach restaurant experience.

On 3/13/2021 at 8:06 AM, SelectSys said:

Seriously, this is much more of a myth than reality.  I personally wouldn't eat fruit off of a cart in the street, but inside any restaurant in Ensenada will be fine.  You can even ask for a glass of water and you'll be OK.  Remember, these restaurants have businesses they want to protect and grow.  Cruising in Ensenada is just a small fraction of the city's overall business - even tourism.

I drink tap water almost all over the world. But yeah fully cooked food there is like fully cooked food everywhere.

On 3/15/2021 at 4:17 PM, Smokeyham said:

pharmacies to purchase items that I would need a prescription from in the United States. 

But not illicit drugs. Just things that are looser than the US. Having spent months and months and months in Rio I've had the occasion to see a pharmacist. They were terrific.

21 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

You don't really need to take a tour.  All you need to do is a bit of research.

While a bit far for independent travel from the cruise, their is a small fishing "village" and area of restaurant just north of the studio called Popotla.  You can buy a fish and then have one of the restaurants prepare it for you.  It's more rustic than the more popular Puerto Nuevo, but more authentic in terms of a beach restaurant experience.

That sounds just terrific.

21 hours ago, clo said:

I drink tap water almost all over the world. But yeah fully cooked food there is like fully cooked food everywhere.

In Mexico you will be drinking bottled water.  The difference is that it will likely be poured from large jug into pitchers for use at the table.  Maybe some restaurants might have a local purification system.  The difference is that someone else opened the bottle. 

21 hours ago, clo said:

Just things that are looser than the US. Having spent months and months and months in Rio I've had the occasion to see a pharmacist.

You are right to have a pharmacist or store you trust.  I would not necessarily buy from a tourist pharmacy unless I could spot a fake.  If you go somewhere like Costco, Walmart or larger local  hypermarkets or larger chain pharmacies you'll be fine. 

10 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

In Mexico you will be drinking bottled water. 

Nope. Tap water. The only place I didn't was in Cusco, Peru, where there was particulate floating in it. I have a tough gut.

11 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

If you go somewhere like Costco, Walmart or larger local  hypermarkets or larger chain pharmacies you'll be fine. 

Nope again. I go to little standalone pharmacies, deal with the pharmacist themselves who frequently speak English and I can always look up a few symptoms in Spanish or Portuguese. In Rio some years ago I got sick from salmonella tainted peanut made...made in the US. The pharmacist gave me Cipro.

It's funny re Walmart. When we were furnishing our Rio apt. We bought a couple of appliances there although I've boycotted them for ages. But they delivered as most places did because certainly not everyone had cars and full-sized trucks were rare.

Just a little light humor but when I saw the topic I thought, "must I get off in Hawaii."  We have been to both Hawaii and Mexico (many times) and have chosen to live in Mexico during the winter months.  When we made that decision we debated between Maui and Puerto Vallarta and, for us, it was a no brainer and we have lived in Puerto Vallarta for the past 15 winters.  I should add that we eat out over 70 times a year in Mexico and have only been sick once in 15 years (over 900 restaurant visits).  

I have nothing against Hawaii (we do enjoy visiting the islands) but prefer to live in Mexico.

Now that I have had some fun with this topic I would not be quick to get off a ship in Ensenada.  Just like in the USA, there are places to go and places best left to others.

Hank

32 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I should add that we eat out over 70 times a year in Mexico and have only been sick once in 15 years (over 900 restaurant visits).  

I have no idea what that means. ???

We've been to Mexico and Hawaii and, while we wouldn't want to live either place even part time, we'd far prefer Hawaii to Mexico. There's a breeze 🙂

On 3/17/2021 at 5:41 PM, clo said:

Nope. Tap water. The only place I didn't was in Cusco, Peru, where there was particulate floating in it. I have a tough gut.

Yeah, I make them dump the water pitcher and take me out it the alley so I can watch them fill it up from the tap.   🙄