Princess or Celebrity

seaworthy1

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would be sitting in a shipboard bar, not watching on a phone screen.  [And as a Stanford grad, I usually don't root for UCLA – but the PAC-12 is always underestimated by the national press, so I have to root for our only remaining contender.  And what a Cinderella story! – if Cinderella was actually the heiress to the Wooden fortune...]

If you are lucky. I haven’t been on any cruises that carry a Cbs feed.  Some have ESPN /ABC in the right spots. Maybe there are some special broadcasting rights with the final four. 

Edited by XuGator

I generally book my cruises to avoid conflicts with football and basketball schedules if possible...BUT, if I had scheduled a cruise for THIS week, I likely would have checked carefully ahead of time to see if it was broadcast onboard...

But if it wasn't...and I had to stream it, it would NOT be while wandering around the ship on my cell phone...I'd stay in my cabin and stream it on my laptop.

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Count me in with those who generally DON'T carry around their phone...or wallet...or anything else clunky...with them around the ship.  I like to be as lightweight and unencumbered as possible.  I don't have to take pictures everywhere around the ship.  I have a quality Nikon camera--that I carry into port for "real" photos...and I MAY, if inclined to do so, bring it out for a short time onboard to take ship photos.  I don't have to...or want to...spend much time checking emails, social media or sports scores...I can do that during short episodes back in my cabin...When I'm at dinner, at a show, at a shipboard activity, drinking in a bar or whatever, I want to do THAT...not constantly look at a computer screen--especially not a tiny one on a cell phone.  I may have bookings, now, with free unlimited wifi...but that doesn't mean I MUST be connected to that wifi 24/7...I can do THAT back at home...I cruise to do something else...

And that medallion is NOT "clunky"...it is 1.1 ounces (30 grams) INCLUDING the medallion, the plastic case AND the lanyard...It goes virtually unnoticed around one's neck...

I couldn't have said it any better, including the comment about cameras. My Nikon DSLR and selection of lenses produce far better photos than my iPhone could ever hope to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would be sitting in a shipboard bar, not watching on a phone screen.  [And as a Stanford grad, I usually don't root for UCLA – but the PAC-12 is always underestimated by the national press, so I have to root for our only remaining contender.  And what a Cinderella story! – if Cinderella was actually the heiress to the Wooden fortune...]

My husband and I rooted for the Stanford women's BB game Friday night since our Baylor Bears were eliminated.  It was a great game!  Also, we have been on Celebrity during important sports events.  We have never used our iphones to steam any game on board.  For example, we were on the Edge on Super Bowl Sunday.  Ship guests were treated to a Super Bowl party and were able to watch the game on a huge screen in the Theater.  

• Like 1

We've sailed three times on Princess (relative newbie) and only once on X (definitely a newbie).  The Princess mini-suite is basically the same as a regular cabin on X or Royal (most of our cruises have been Royal).  A "regular" balcony cabin on Princess just have a chair and no love seat or sofa.  I believe the newer ships have larger balcony cabins, but we haven't cruised on Princess since 2010 (on Ruby Princess).  Plus...(and this was my deal breaker) their buffet is tiny!  One little area, so standing in line to get breakfast and/or lunch was the norm.  I much prefer the buffet set ups on X and Royal.  

However, we saw a lot of great shows on our Princess cruises -- lots of magicians and hypnotists; not as many production shows.  And they had really good pizza and my favorite drink, Beverly Hills Ice Tea.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would rather wear a medallion and have my toenails pulled out one at a time while at the dentist than root for Stanford!  Go Cal Bears!

45 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

I would rather wear a medallion and have my toenails pulled out one at a time while at the dentist than root for Stanford!  Go Cal Bears!

I said I would root for UCLA, not Cal :classic_ohmy:  "Beat Cal" forever !!!

8 hours ago, XuGator said:

We have been on two cruises with medallions and found them really gimmicky. They didn’t do much other than open our cabins doors which I guess saved us 2 seconds that it would take to grab my card out of my pocket and scan it.

Ah, but that’s the twist. IOcean Medallion is we’ve more beneficial to the cruise lines than the passenger. 

One of the most valuable things to any company is data. Medallions and similar tech allow a line unfettered access to unimaginable amounts of data: how many people are trying to see a show each night (and how many people walk out). Not just when and where people dine, but where they are before walking to dinner: a cabin, a bar, the pool? What parts of the ship are underutilized. How many times it takes you walking by the spa to actually peek in. Etc. Etc. 

In short time, they can figure out correct staffing levels, new revenue streams, enhance programming, etc. 

I see this thread has been hijacked into something other than Process or Celebrity.

You cannot compare Princess Grand class ships to Celebrity Solstice class.  

We found that comparing Celebrity Solstice and Princess Royal classes is best.  We do not like anything Princess prior to Royal - crowded, venues are too small, etc.  Royal and newer compares favorable with Solstice class for venues, shops, theaters, cabins, food, etc.  It then becomes an issue of itineraries and cabin availability along with transportation to/fm the ship.  Princess Royal class has the best mass market buffets at sea, lots of selection and easy to find seating.  

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1