Newby with excursion question

Envelope21

Pricing for Overland trips of a few days can be shocking which is why some people look to do it on their own.   I am planning on doing one from either Sri Lanka or a port in India to the Taj Mahal on our ( hopefully)  World Cruise in 2022.  They don’t have prices out yet but I seem to remember @Heidi13 mentioning it someplace and it was high too.  Makes the shore excursions look cheap 😉

3 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Pricing for Overland trips of a few days can be shocking which is why some people look to do it on their own.   I am planning on doing one from either Sri Lanka or a port in India to the Taj Mahal on our ( hopefully)  World Cruise in 2022.  They don’t have prices out yet but I seem to remember @Heidi13 mentioning it someplace and it was high too.  Makes the shore excursions look cheap 😉

The Taj Mahal is one of the most striking sights I've ever seen.  We visited the Taj during our land trip to India and Nepal in 1987.  We enjoyed it so much that we went there a second time later in our trip.

3 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The Taj Mahal is one of the most striking sights I've ever seen.  We visited the Taj during our land trip to India and Nepal in 1987.  We enjoyed it so much that we went there a second time later in our trip.

You are so fortunate to have seen it!   The Taj is on our bucket list for sure.  Might be awhile though.  We are hoping to cross off another bucket list item next March by going to the Alhambra when the Jupiter docks at Malaga. 

24 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You are so fortunate to have seen it!   The Taj is on our bucket list for sure.  Might be awhile though.  We are hoping to cross off another bucket list item next March by going to the Alhambra when the Jupiter docks at Malaga. 

My only beef regarding Viking itineraries is the lack of presence in the Indian Ocean and East Africa. As far as I know, the company sails in that region only in connection with WCs -- and I don't expect to be on a WC anytime in the near or far future.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You will love the Alhambra, in spite of the crowds. I’d love to go back and stay at the hotel there, see the place once everyone else has left …

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vslparis said:

The Taj Mahal was one we did consider during the 2020 WC, but yes, the prices were on the high side

• Colombo - 7-day overland CAN $6,889
  • Cochin - 4-day overland CAN $4,029

Air quality at the Taj Mahal isn't great and the tours only have a 1-day visit. We just thought it was an expensive risk to visit on a day when visibility was poor. Using air miles, we could fly from home, stay a week and see it multiple times when we would hopefully have a better chance of seeing it on a clearer day - all for about the same cost.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Taj Mahal was one we did consider during the 2020 WC, but yes, the prices were on the high side

• Colombo - 7-day overland CAN $6,889
  • Cochin - 4-day overland CAN $4,029

Air quality at the Taj Mahal isn't great and the tours only have a 1-day visit. We just thought it was an expensive risk to visit on a day when visibility was poor. Using air miles, we could fly from home, stay a week and see it multiple times when we would hopefully have a better chance of seeing it on a clearer day - all for about the same cost.

I knew that you had put these prices out someplace.  I am trying to convince my husband that doing Agra, Jaipur and New Delhi would be a good thing and can be done from Sri Lanka . If not, we can do New Delhi, Agra with the Taj mahal and do a day visit along with sunrise which hopefully will give us a clear view. I would want to be in Mumbai the day before the ship leaves for it’s next port though.  Not that I don’t  trust Air India.....😉

• Like 1