Norwegian Fjords

I'm considering this cruise (Celebrity 2024) and would appreciate thoughts on the itinerary plus any shore excursions (on our own, private, or ship booked) ideas at these locations.

For Flam, I'm considering the railway and for Bergen, perhaps a walking tour of the historic port area and then taking the funicular up the mountain, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.  (And sorry for the all caps - it's a cut/paste from X's website.)

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND
BRUGES,(ZEEBRUGGE),BELGIUM
AT SEA
FLAM, NORWAY
GEIRANGER, NORWAY
BERGEN, NORWAY
AT SEA
SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND

8 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

I'm considering this cruise (Celebrity 2024) and would appreciate thoughts on the itinerary plus any shore excursions (on our own, private, or ship booked) ideas at these locations.

Does include three of the top ten ports in Norway - cannot comment on Bruges.

Good choices for Flåm and Bergen - book Flåm railway in advance at Norways Bests. Only Geiranger left - either the panorama bus or HoHo to the viewpoints.

For fjord sailings into Flåm and Geiranger you must be at the upper decks early to enjoy the scenery- be at deck at sunrise 4:30 am.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, hallasm said:

Does include three of the top ten ports in Norway - cannot comment on Bruges.

Good choices for Flåm and Bergen - book Flåm railway in advance at Norways Bests. Only Geiranger left - either the panorama bus or HoHo to the viewpoints.

For fjord sailings into Flåm and Geiranger you must be at the upper decks early to enjoy the scenery- be at deck at sunrise 4:30 am.

Thanks so much.  I will plan to be up front early, early morning.  We did that on a sail into Alesund a few years ago and the views of the islands and the sky (sun rays) were breathtaking.  I chose this itinerary because I haven't been to any of these ports (been to Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger, and Alesund). 

13 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

We did that on a sail into Alesund a few years ago and the views of the islands and the sky (sun rays) were breathtaking

the sailing to Flåm and Geiranger is completely different - 3 to 4 hours sailing through deep fjords. Same fjords in and out, but I think they look best from the upper decks in the morning sun. In the evening there is dinner and often many activities. But also beautiful at sunset.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm debating between 2 Celebrity itineraries in 2024 and would love some input. 

The first is the one listed above: Bruges, Belgium, Sea, Flam, Geiranger, Bergen, Sea.

The second is: Sea, Stavanger, Geiranger, Flam, Haugesund, Sea.

Thoughts?

Bruges and Bergen beat Stavanger and Haugesund in my view.

• Thanks 1

@hallasmDue to weather conditions we are now heading to Seyðisfjörður.  No time for research so relying on your kindness to advise if this is an early morning on deck sail in as it was in Skjolden and Olden.  Also, any suggestions for a DYI day?  Thanks so much.  Your information so far has been invaluable.  Although the sail in to Skjolden and Olden was in drizzle, fog it was still dramatic.

40 minutes ago, Senga said:

Due to weather conditions we are now heading to Seyðisfjörður.

Seyðisfjörður is in Iceland - unfortunately I’m not familiar with that port but the town (very small) is located in a 17 km long fjord.

Edited by hallasm

59 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Seyðisfjörður is in Iceland - unfortunately I’m not familiar with that port but the town (very small) is located in a 17 km long fjord.

Sorry, I thought you were a master of ALL knowledge!  😂😂😂😂Thanks for responding.

• Thanks 1

I’m booked on Anthem of the Seas to the fiords in early Sept and have some questions.  We have nothing booked in Stavanger and Haugesund.  Are there locals at the pier that will arrange a private tour when you get off the ship? I use a cane so my walking is limited.  If we take a cab at any port, will they all take credit cards?  Since we already have to bring Pounds and Euro, I’d like to avoid bringing another currency,

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Are there locals at the pier that will arrange a private tour when you get off the ship?

No , you need to book tours in advance.

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

If we take a cab at any port, will they all take credit cards?

Yes, you can use credit cards everywhere. Norway is cashless, no need for cash. If you want to use credit card in vending machines or with small business a ‘chip and pin’ card might be required.

While Stavanger is a bigger city there might be taxi available at the pier, Haugesund is a small town taxi should be pre-booked. Just note the taxi in Norway can be expensive.If a longer trip ask for price in advance.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 8:20 PM, FlaggMary said:

We are on an Oceania cruise in Norway, late July. Are the shore excursions really worth it or it’s just cruising through the fjords the real highlight? 

I'll cruise the fjords for my fourth time in late July.  I've only ever been the ship once, in Bergen. The scenery is the highlight for me and why I stick to Norwegian itineraries.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:58 PM, ExpatBride said:

I'll cruise the fjords for my fourth time in late July.  I've only ever been the ship once, in Bergen. The scenery is the highlight for me and why I stick to Norwegian itineraries.

I would highly recommend making a trip up into the hills overlooking the fjords, especially in a place like Geiranger. It's the same scenery, but the change in perspective can make it look dramatically different! When I visit Geiranger, I like to do the morning on deck looking out, the day visiting an overlook and looking down, and the sail-out relaxing in a hot tub looking up.

I will be traveling to Norway in August of 2023 and wanted feedback on our ports.

Stavanger- could do a cruise to lysejforden and pulpit tour.  There is also a hop on hop off bus . Am wondering if decision can be made on arrival as weather can be a factor?

Haugesund there is a train or viking tour. Also noticed they have a museum and herring factory.  Has anyone visited these places?

Olden-loolking at loen skylift and briksdal glacier. Can both be done in 12 hour port stop.  I have some mobility issues with walking and steps.

Alesund - land of trolls tour? Go to Geirangefgord?

Loften Islancds- RIB trip

North Cape Crossing- has anyone taken the local bus and can you use a credit card?  How long would trip take from Honningsvag?

Alta- I understand there is a tourist office in town. Can you book tours through them? Any suggestions as to best use 8 hours?

Harstad- also saw opportunity for viking tour..  Have 10 hours in port

Bodo-Understand there is an aviation musuem and an art street walking tour from the tourist office.  Has anyone done either event?  Have 9 hours in port

Tronheim- I understand Roros is nearby.  Have 10 hours in port and am open to suggestion

Tromso- This port is after Loften Islands.  There is supposed to be a public bus that takes you to a cable car, a polar museum, and arctic cathedral.  How does this cable car compare to Olden skylift?

What would you recommend.

We will be on a 16 night cruise starting in early August and I want to be prepared to make the most of our trip.  I read that credit cards are widely accepted but wonder about use on public transportation.  Please let me know if this is an option.   Also I have read that often ports can be skipped due to ocean and weather conditions.  I guess this is making me wonder if we should stick to DIY in these ports and would like to know from those who have been to the ports listed above if this is possible.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

_

A general comments about your cruise. August is too late for the midnight sun north of the Arctic Circle.

I’ll answer some of your question - I do not have all the answers.

22 minutes ago, chatuga said:

Stavanger- could do a cruise to lysejforden and pulpit tour.

I’ll suggest Lysefjord cruise.

25 minutes ago, chatuga said:

Olden-loolking at loen skylift and briksdal glacier. Can both be done in 12 hour port stop. 

Yes, you can do both - transfer buses available. Suggest you book in advance.

Olden is the only port in the deep fjords on your itinerary - you should be early on the upper decks to enjoy the sailing - be ready just before sunrise.

26 minutes ago, chatuga said:

Alesund - land of trolls tour? Go to Geirangefgord?

Both impressive - very long tours. Sailing to Geiranger might be less strenuous.

27 minutes ago, chatuga said:

Loften Islancds- RIB trip

Is it to Trollfjord? Check if you ship is cruising Trollfjord.

29 minutes ago, chatuga said:

North Cape Crossing- has anyone taken the local bus and can you use a credit card?  How long would trip take from Honningsvag?

Assume Arctic Circle crossing and tour to North Cape from Honningsvåg - No experience with local bus in Honningsvåg. In general you can purchase tickets using credit card - if you have a smartphone and data roaming I’ll suggest using the App.

31 minutes ago, chatuga said:

How does this cable car compare to Olden skylift?

I can never tire of the view of the fjord - suggest visiting both.

33 minutes ago, chatuga said:

I read that credit cards are widely accepted but wonder about use on public transportation.  Please let me know if this is an option

Credit cards widely accepted - also In busses. As said previously I’ll suggest the App if possible.

35 minutes ago, chatuga said:

Also I have read that often ports can be skipped due to ocean and weather conditions.

All ports on your route are sheltered by islands and fjords. Cancellations are not that common for Norwegian ports, but can still happen. More likely in the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland 

37 minutes ago, chatuga said:

I guess this is making me wonder if we should stick to DIY in these ports and would like to know from those who have been to the ports listed above if this is possible.

All your berths are suitable for DIY but it is advisable to order in advance. Supply is limited and there are no tours available on the day. Of course, this does not apply to public buses.

32 minutes ago, chatuga said:

Thanks so much for your help. Am continuing to do research on tour companies for my trip.

If you search this forum for the individual ports you get a lot of inspiration- most ports have a web with link to tourist office or vendors. Just note that many of the ports at small and the supply is limited - often the cruises have taken up everything.

Hello! I will be cruising solo on NCL from Reykjavik to Tromso then back Reykjavik. 23 days in this gorgeous part of the world in July/August 2023.

The ports we visit in Norway are:

Longyearbyen (Spitzbergen)

Alta

Honningsvag

Hammerfest

Tromso

Harstad

Olden

The shore excursions offered through NCL are very expensive.  Are there any “must see” sights in these ports?  I love small towns, walking, photography, being by the ocean, walking by the ocean and art.  I am looking at a few local walking tours and would be grateful for any and all suggestions.

I have been to Bergen and Alesund before and am beyond excited to see more of Norway.