Norwegian Fjords

On 29.1.2023 at 12.34, hallasm said:

Olden sisältyy matkasuunnitelman viestiin #256. Bergen on erinomainen korvike Stavangerille. 
Et maininnut päivämäärää. Jos valitsisin kesä/heinäkuussa RC:n risteilylinjan perusteella - reitit ovat hyvin samankaltaisia Bergenin ja Stavangerin välillä, sillä ei ole suurta eroa - kuitenkin pidät Bergenistä Stavangerin sijaan 

Monilla voi olla erilaisia mieltymyksiä.

Minulla ei ole kommentteja matkasuunnitelmaan viestissä #258 - hyvin erilainen reitti - vain Geiranger ja Bergen Norjassa.
Teen Islantia mieluummin maamatkana kuin risteilynä.

This summer, I'm taking Norway & Iceland cruise. Both destinations are notoriously expensive, more expensive than, for example, Finland, which is also an expensive country to live 😉

The good thing about a cruise is that accommodation and full board are included in the price; they are also the biggest travel cost items in Norway and Iceland.

In Iceland, we have a car with my friends, and this way we have our own freedom to explore the destinations that we want to see.

A record 260 cruise ships are expected in Iceland this year, because after St. Petersburg was left out of Baltic Sea cruises already last year, the cruise lines have had to look for new destinations for this year as well.

A cruise is a good option to get to know a destination in advance, and if you fall in love with a destination on the way, you can always return there again (for a longer time).

On cruises, I have previously organized private shore excursions in Vietnam, Myanmar, India...to visit places that cruise lines do not take passengers, because as we know, it does not matter whether it is a 10-bus excursion or a 10-person excursion.

The most important thing is that everyone enjoys their own trip, no matter what their interest is. 🙂

For the experts, Decisions, Decisions. We've put deposits on both, as who knows what the situation with Russia will be in 2024. Since we're coming from Hawaii, we'd only do this once. The shorter cruise looks good, are we doing to much of the Fjords on the second? Mahalo for all advice!

26Day Caribbean Princess

05/19-06/14/2024

Southampton

Brussels(Belgium)

Rotterdam(Netherlands)

Sea

Oslo(Norway)

Gothenburg(Sweden)

Copenhagen(Denmark)

Aarhus

Sea

Hamburg( Berlin/Germany)

Sea

Le Harve(Paris/France)

Southampton

Sea

Haugesund

Skolden(Norway)

Olden

Shetland Islands(Scotland)

Sea

Reykjavik(Iceland)

Grundarfjordur

Isafjordur

Akureyrl

Sea x3

Southampton

35days, Sky Princess

06/29-08/02/2024

Southampton

Sea

Haugesund,Norway

Flaam

Hellesylt

Geiranger

Alesund

Sea

Akureyl, Iceland

Isafjordur

Grundarfjordur

Reykjavik

Sea x3

Southampton

Sea

Bergin(Norway)

Skjolden

Olden

Stavager

Sea

Southampton

Sea

Skagen(Denmark)

Copenhagen

Berlin(Warenemunde)

Sea

Stockholm(overnight)

Helsinki(Finland)

Talinn(Estonia)

Visby(Sweden)

Sea

Kristiansand

Sea

Southampton

Edited by Yehootu

16 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

For the experts, Decisions, Decisions. We've put deposits on both, as who knows what the situation with Russia will be in 2024. Since we're coming from Hawaii, we'd only do this once. The shorter cruise looks good, are we doing to much of the Fjords on the second? Mahalo for all advice!

I think either itinerary would offer a lot to see in Northern Europe, so it is bit of toss whether you want to A) ports on North Sea coast and Shetland Islands or B) few more fjords on Norwegian coast and full tour around Baltic Sea. I wouldn't be too concerned that the situation with Russia would significally affect either cruise.

4 hours ago, Yehootu said:

26Day Caribbean Princess

05/19-06/14/2024

Southampton

Brussels(Belgium)

Rotterdam(Netherlands)

Sea

Oslo(Norway)

Gothenburg(Sweden)

Copenhagen(Denmark)

Aarhus

Sea

Hamburg( Berlin/Germany)

Sea

Le Harve(Paris/France)

Southampton

Sea

Haugesund

Skolden(Norway)

Olden

Shetland Islands(Scotland)

Sea

Reykjavik(Iceland)

Grundarfjordur

Isafjordur

Akureyrl

Sea x3

Southampton

35days, Sky Princess

06/29-08/02/2024

Southampton

Sea

Haugesund,Norway

Flaam

Hellesylt

Geiranger

Alesund

Sea

Akureyl, Iceland

Isafjordur

Grundarfjordur

Reykjavik

Sea x3

Southampton

Sea

Bergin(Norway)

Skjolden

Olden

Stavager

Sea

Southampton

Sea

Skagen(Denmark)

Copenhagen

Berlin(Warenemunde)

Sea

Stockholm(overnight)

Helsinki(Finland)

Talinn(Estonia)

Visby(Sweden)

Sea

Kristiansand

Sea

Southampton

I consider Tallinn, Estonia a gem. Only the second itinerary has it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yehootu said:

The shorter cruise looks good, are we doing to much of the Fjords on the second?

Since you have posted in the Norwegian Fjords topic, I assume that you would like an assessment in relation to the deep Norwegian fjords

Both itineraries include Skolden and Olden -  but itinerary 2 has many more Norwegian ports of call.

Itinerary 1 also only has Haugesund, which is less interesting

Itinerary 2 has also more interesting deep fjords: Flåm, HellesyltGeiranger and Skjolden.

Also included are interesting coastal towns such as Ålesund, Bergen and Stavanger.

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I consider Tallinn, Estonia a gem. Only the second itinerary has it.

A friend has told me this as well.

17 hours ago, hallasm said:

Since you have posted in the Norwegian Fjords topic, I assume that you would like an assessment in relation to the deep Norwegian fjords

Both itineraries include Skolden and Olden -  but itinerary 2 has many more Norwegian ports of call.

Itinerary 1 also only has Haugesund, which is less interesting

Itinerary 2 has also more interesting deep fjords: Flåm, HellesyltGeiranger and Skjolden.

Also included are interesting coastal towns such as Ålesund, Bergen and Stavanger.

Mahalo, after reading a lot of your other answers to postings, I'm more leaning towards the longer one. The other factor I was considering was the crowds. The shorter one is late May into June and the longer is late June to first of August, is there a significant difference in crowds? Is the weather considerably the same? Thank-you again for all the info you've already posted.

4 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Mahalo

??

Yes - much more Norway and deep fjords in itineary 2.

Personally I prefer beginning of June - snow in the mountains and water in rivers/waterfalls. Will be warmer in July/August - and less water in rivers.

Summer holiday primarily in July - but not necessarily more crowded. Maybe in bigger cities. 
Ask your Norwegian fjord questions in this topic - you might want to create specific topics for other ports - or search for more relevant topics for ‘non fjords’ related ports.

• Like 1

Yehootu,

If you are worried about cruise ship crowds in each port you can check cruisemapper or similar site to see what ships will be in port that day. 

The second itinerary has Tallin Estonia, an overnight in Stockholm and Coppenhagan, plus you get multiple deep fjord vists (Flam, Geiranger, skolden, olgan) and port towns of Bergen and Alesund. I vote for the second itinerary.

Paris, Belgium and the Netherlands can be another trip done by train.  If this is a once in a lifetime trip then do a land trip before you get on the ship. Decide what you want to see: London and Scotland vs Paris etc. Once you fly from Hawaii to London, you can get cheaper flights to other areas or go by train.

Don't discount London though, it is a beautiful city with great theatre and restaurants hiding in the rear of the pubs (we had the best Thai food in Hammersmith in the rear of a pub that opened at 830pm- recommended by a local). We had the privelege of seeing Phantom of the Opera and Wicked in London on two different trips.

Happy Planning!

On 2/24/2023 at 7:40 AM, Celialeah98 said:

Yehootu,

If you are worried about cruise ship crowds in each port you can check cruisemapper or similar site to see what ships will be in port that day. 

The second itinerary has Tallin Estonia, an overnight in Stockholm and Coppenhagan, plus you get multiple deep fjord vists (Flam, Geiranger, skolden, olgan) and port towns of Bergen and Alesund. I vote for the second itinerary.

Paris, Belgium and the Netherlands can be another trip done by train.  If this is a once in a lifetime trip then do a land trip before you get on the ship. Decide what you want to see: London and Scotland vs Paris etc. Once you fly from Hawaii to London, you can get cheaper flights to other areas or go by train.

Don't discount London though, it is a beautiful city with great theatre and restaurants hiding in the rear of the pubs (we had the best Thai food in Hammersmith in the rear of a pub that opened at 830pm- recommended by a local). We had the privelege of seeing Phantom of the Opera and Wicked in London on two different trips.

Happy Planning!

We've pretty much decided on the second one. I just retired after 40yrs as an airline pilot. Flown into Paris and London alot and did 6 weeks of school at Folker in Amsterdam. We used to always go to Churchills in London for beers and Thai food. Thank-you for the feedback.

I'm back to consultant the expert because I did not end up going last year but we are determined on going in July of 2024. I'm once again interested in your thoughts @hallasm on a few cruise options.

All options are 7 day's leaving out of Southampton in July 2024;

Option 1, RCL Ports: Bergen (1159AM-7PM), Olden (8AM-5PM), Flam (8AM-5PM), and Brussels (11AM - 6PM)

Option 2, RCL Ports: Stavanger (7AM - 5PM), Flam (8AM - 5PM), Alesund (8AM - 6PM), Bergen 7AM - 2PM)

Option 3, Celebrity Ports: Brussels (7AM - 3PM), Flam (7AM - 4PM), Geiranger (8AM - 5PM), Bergen (7AM - 2PM)

Option 4, Princess Cruises: Bergen (12PM-8PM), Skjolden/Sognefjord (8:AM - 4PM), Olden (8AM - 5PM) Stavanger (10AM - 5PM).

I'm guess I'm looking for the "best" 7 day cruise in Norway. I know some of your favorite deep fjord ports are Olden, Flam, and Geiranger. I also read that Bergen, Stravenger, Alesund are great costal ports. So these options include all of those but what one is the best if you had to pick for a first visit? I don't think I've seen one of the Princess ports mentioned here: Skjolden/Sogneford is that a good one?

Thanks for all your help and knowledge! This form has been great! 

58 minutes ago, ajf830 said:

Thanks for all your help and knowledge! This form has been great! 

your analysis is excellent - I’m not a favorite of Skjolden

Option 1: two deep fjords and one nice coastal  city: Bergen  - second

Option 2: One deep fjord - 3 coastal cities -

Option 3: two deep fjords and one nice coastal  city: Bergen  -the best deep fjords

Option 4: One deep fjord and two coastal cities -

I will choose option 3 and option 1 as second despite Brussels is not in Norway.

Beginning of July is better than end of July.

We actually booked option 3 yesterday! We have a few trips to focus on this year before really diving deep into planning this one but we are already very excited for Norway!

I have this form booked marked to keep checking as a resource and to ask questions on what to do! 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ericosmith said:

When looking at the Bergen Line schedule on Vy there are blue trains and red trains.

I do not see any ‘Red trains’ - only the F4 route trains (in blue) - no other trains.
The time table might also show busses in green.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:14 AM, ericosmith said:

When looking at the Bergen Line schedule on Vy there are blue trains and red trains.

Different Train lines.  Depends on where you are going from Bergen.

F4 Train Line is Bergen to Oslo - R40 is train line from Bergen-Voss-Myrdal-Ål.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:57 PM, hallasm said:

your analysis is excellent - I’m not a favorite of Skjolden

Option 1: two deep fjords and one nice coastal  city: Bergen  - second

Option 2: One deep fjord - 3 coastal cities -

Option 3: two deep fjords and one nice coastal  city: Bergen  -the best deep fjords

Option 4: One deep fjord and two coastal cities -

I will choose option 3 and option 1 as second despite Brussels is not in Norway.

Beginning of July is better than end of July.

So option 1 and option 3 go to Brussels which seems like a total waste for a Norwegian Fjords cruise. I mean it isn't even that close to Norway and certainly not a Norwegian Fjord.

I would like your opinion as well.

Awhile back I did some Google research for the top Norwegian Fjords. Obviously people have different opinions so I picked 20 sites and put their rankings in a spreadsheet. I then analyzed it and came up with the "consensus" picks on the top 5. For example, if 17 out of the 20 had Geirangerfjord as their number 1 or 2 spot it is safe to say that it is at the top of the consensus list. My consensus list was as follows based on the information I found:

Top Norwegian Fjords:

1. Geirangerford

2. Sognefjord

3. Lysefjord

4. Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord

5. Hardangerfjord

6. Nordfjord

I also learned that you have to traverse Sognefjord to get to Naeroyfjord and Aurlandsfjord which are separate branches at the end of that fjord.

Next I looked to see which ports provide access to or sail through these fjords. 

I found that these are the ports:

1. Geirangerford (Port: Geiranger or Alesund via excursion)

2. Sognefjord (Port: Skjolden or Flåm)

3. Lysefjord (Port: Stavanger via excursion)

4. Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord (Port: Flåm via excursion)

5. Hardangerfjord (Port: Eidfjord or Bergen via excursion)

6. Nordfjord (Port: Olden or Nordfjordeid)

Finally, I fired up Cruise Plum and looked for cruises that went to all of these (or the most possible). I wanted to go at a great time of year so I picked July ... of 2024.

The cruise I ended up booking was the July 12th, 2024 Anthem of the Seas which has the following itinerary:

Day 1: Southampton (London)

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 3: Stavanger (7-5)

Day 4: Flåm (8-5)

Day 5: Alesund (8-6)

Day 6: Bergen (7-2)

Day 7: Sea Day

So this would provide opportunities to see Geirangerford, Sognefjord, Lysefjord, Nærøyfjord, Aurlandsfjord, and Hardangerfjord. (or the top 5 on the list - only Nordfjord missing)

Do you see any errors, issues, or problems with my research? Other thoughts? Am I missing something?

Thanks

1 hour ago, NightOne said:

Do you see any errors, issues, or problems with my research? Other thoughts? Am I missing something?

Excellent analysis.  

Personally, however, I believe that there is a difference between sailing with a cruise ship through the deep fjords in the early morning or late evening rather than a day trip to, for example, Nærøyfjord or Lysefjord.  

You’re missing Lustrafjorden into Skjolden 

A few comments:

I would prioritize Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord higher than Lysefjord.  While Nærøyfjord is an excursion, the cruise ship is actually cruising through Aurlandsfjord to enter Flåm.  

I would also prioritize sightseeing in Bergen more than an excursion to Hardangerfjord.

I can see your point in that your itinerary gives you the opportunity to visit several Norwegian fjords, but I would argue that the itinerary only includes one deep fjord into Flåm  - the other fjords require a longer excursion.  

I can  recommend a Geirangerfjord excursion from Ålesund while I would spend the day in Bergen. Then your itinerary include three fjords.

But since from 2026 there will be restrictions on cruise ships sailing in Geirangerfjord, Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord, it will be relevant with excursions  if you want to visit these fjords from 2026.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DW is now debating between 3 different Norwegian cruises.,

1) In Search of the Northern Lights   (no dates yet for 2025 but she was looking at the itinerary for the 2/17/2024 sailing as an example.)(my personal LAST choice)

Sat. Feb. 17 - Bergen

Sun. Feb. 18 - Bergen

Mon Feb. 19 - Scenic Sailing: Norwegian Inside Passage

Tue Feb. 20 - Scenic Sailing:Norwegian Inside Passge

Wed Feb. 21 - Alta

Thu Feb 22 - Alta

Fri Feb. 23 - Tromso

Sat. Feb. 24 - Tromso

Sun Feb. 25 - Narvik

Mon Feb 26 - Scenic Sailing : Norweigian Inside Passage

Tue Feb 27 - Sail the North Sea

Wed Feb 28 - Amsterdam

Thu Feb 29 - London (Tilbury)

OK judging by the days, it seems that Alta and Tromso must be in the Artic Circle and staying 2 days to allow for night watching of the Lights?

Not sure how good any of those ports are.

Is the Norweigian Inside Passage just like the Intercoastal Waterway on the US East Coast?

I'd personally prefer to cruise a deep Fjord (which I know this cruise has none) even if you could 100% guarantee me seeing the Northern Lights.

2) Viking Shores and Fjords - June 22- 2025

Sun June 22 Amsterdam

Mon June 23 - Sail the North Sea

Tue June 24 - Skagen Denmark

Wed June 25 - Oslo

Thu June 26 Krisitiansand

Fri June 27 Stavanger   (my birthday)

Sat June 28 Flam          (wish this was my birthday)

Sun June 29 - Bergen

I know Flam is in a deep fjord. Are any oither fjords accesible from any of the other ports via excursion? Any other must do's in any of these ports?

3) Into the Midnight Sun - June 23, 2025

Mon June 23 Bergen

Tue June 24 - Bergen

Wed June 25 - Geiranger

Thu June 26 - Sail the Norwewegioan Sea

Fri June 27 Lofoten (leknes)   (Again my birthday)

Sat June 28 - Tromso

Sun June 29 - Honningsvag (Nordkapp)

Then the Norwegian Sea to Scotland and eventually London

I know Geiranger is a deep water fjord.

I'm assuming Lofoten, Tromso and Honningsvag are all in the artic circle to see the midnight sun?

Reading through this thread I've seen alot of other cruises that seem to have more fjord stops.

I just need to see if there are any around my birthday on June 27th. (DW is determined to try and have it over that week)

What would the weather be in southern and northern Norway in the last two weeks of June ?

Would a few weeks earlier or later improve the experience much over thye end of June?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could give.

Edited by bguppies

Hi All -- We are looking at a Norwegian Fjords cruise in summer of 2024.  I've read through all of this thread and the information has been very helpful in narrowing down our choices.  I think we've settled between two itineraries and would love opinions to help make a final decision:

• Celebrity Apex out of Southhampton, visting Bruges, Flam, Geiranger, Bergen (July 20.)  We'd been in a standard balcony cabin (or perhaps an aft balcony.)

• MSC Virtuosa out of Southhamption, visiting Haugesund, Alesund, Flaam, Stavanger (August 31.)  We'd be in a balcony cabin in the Yacht Club.

We've never sailed MSC, but the Yacht Club looks appealing. (We have sailed in the NCL Haven and enjoyed it very much.)  However, that itinerary doesn't include Geiranger, which I understand to be one of the more scenic fjords.  The Celebrity sailing includes Bruges, which is obviously not Norway.  Looks charming, but not something that is a must do.

Overall we're looking for a blend of scenic cruising and towns, particularly with a good hike or two.  

Appreciate any and all thoughts!  TIA!