Uk cruise

Caon74

Within the new booklet today there is a bit that says -

Shore Excursions - Guests wishing to go ashore can only do so by participating in one of our MSC Shore Excursions to ensure the same high standards of health and safety ashore as on board. Excursions will be included in the cruise fare according to the experience booked (except for “cruise only” fare). Guests will be able to book additional MSC Cruises excursions.

My bookings say All Inclusive UK Sailings so I assume that qualifies.

I know they do the same on Grandiosa on the Med cruises but I wasn't expecting we would have it, anyone been told yes our UK sailings/bookings will qualify ? 

6 minutes ago, Caon74 said:

Shore Excursions - Guests wishing to go ashore can only do so by participating in one of our MSC Shore Excursions to ensure the same high standards of health and safety ashore as on board. Excursions will be included in the cruise fare according to the experience booked (except for “cruise only” fare). Guests will be able to book additional MSC Cruises excursions.

I know they do the same on Grandiosa on the Med cruises but I wasn't expecting we would have it, anyone been told yes our UK sailings/bookings will qualify ? 

Some people on board will have no vaccinations at all and will have to have a PCR test before boarding, these people especially need to remain in a protective bubble, we all do actually but the unvaccinated more so.
It is necessary in the UK and these are the very measures that will hopefully stop an outbreak onboard.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Some people on board will have no vaccinations at all and will have to have a PCR test before boarding, these people especially need to remain in a protective bubble, we all do actually but the unvaccinated more so.
It is necessary in the UK and these are the very measures that will hopefully stop an outbreak onboard.

I don't think the poster is talking about bubble excursions. they are asking about the fact that it says you get some free depending on experience took. for example bella fantastica and so on. Oh and unvacccinated guest don't have to provide a PCR test as per MSC website a latteral flow one is also excepted. 

36 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

That could change after June, seems ridiculous to tell people they cannot leave the ship when you can get in your car and drive to anywhere in the UK. Just because someone had the jab does not mean they cannot get the virus or spread it.

3 minutes ago, Cruisecrazymum said:

I don't think the poster is talking about bubble excursions. they are asking about the fact that it says you get some free depending on experience took. for example bella fantastica and so on. Oh and unvacccinated guest don't have to provide a PCR test as per MSC website a latteral flow one is also excepted. 

Regardless of which test you still have to provide two copies of the result.

11 minutes ago, sidari said:

Just because someone had the jab does not mean they cannot get the virus or spread it.

In fairness that is what I said, "we all do actually but the unvaccinated more so"

20 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

In fairness that is what I said, "we all do actually but the unvaccinated more so"

Maybe my mathematics (or maths as you say in the UK 😊) aren't up to par, but here's how I see it:

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are reportedly 90-95% effective against Covid, which leaves 5-10% of people who could get reinfected. But of those who HAVE had Covid, 95-99% of those people survived. So surely we're talking about 5-10% of people who then have a 95-99% chance of survival. That strikes me as an exceedingly small percentage of people who are seriously at risk. It will be interesting to follow the numbers in the future and see how it all plays out.

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Maybe my mathematics (or maths as you say in the UK 😊) aren't up to par, but here's how I see it:

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are reportedly 90-95% effective against Covid, which leaves 5-10% of people who could get reinfected. But of those who HAVE had Covid, 95-99% of those people survived. So surely we're talking about 5-10% of people who then have a 95-99% chance of survival. That strikes me as an exceedingly small percentage of people who are seriously at risk. It will be interesting to follow the numbers in the future and see how it all plays out.

While it is a small risk, when you are sailing with unvaccinated people that small risk is very significate, at least it is to them.

You are OK with mathematics, same here, just the Math/Maths difference 😊

Just don't tell any Brit they are OK wearing smart pants in the MDR 😂

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Caon74 said:

YC definitely had excursions included on Grandiosa, 3 IIRC, I think I recall Aurea possibly had 1.

I am 100% sure that the MSC Virtuosa will be considered a 'bubble' for all passengers this summer, with the only way to leave the ship during the cruise to book an excursion.  Many onboard will not be vaccinated (including most of the crew) so MSC will test all passengers on boarding and not let them outside of the tested bubble.  I don't see any other sensible option.

For Mediterranean cruises, the same applies - passengers could take a train from Genoa to Rome and see everything, but if the take a cruise they can only disembark on an excursion.  Passengers can book excursions individually, or they can book a fare that is £90 more and comes with 3 excursions.  I can see these on sale on MSC's UK website for Med cruises this summer (the fare is 'Best promo cruise & excursions'), but not yet for MSC Virtuosa.  I would assume that if excursions were included in the current 'all inclusive' fares it would say so.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

While it is a small risk, when you are sailing with unvaccinated people that small risk is very significate, at least it is to them.

Ziggy ... You are assuming that those sailing who have not had the jab will have the virus, the testing by MSC will prove at that point they do not have it if they give a Negative result, the same cannot be said for those who have had both jabs because they will not be tested. Those who have had only one jab will also be tested.

DC ... The immune system of a healthy person gives them over 99% chance of survival.

25 minutes ago, sidari said:

Ziggy ... You are assuming that those sailing who have not had the jab will have the virus, the testing by MSC will prove at that point they do not have it if they give a Negative result, the same cannot be said for those who have had both jabs because they will not be tested. Those who have had only one jab will also be tested.

DC ... The immune system of a healthy person gives them over 99% chance of survival.

No, I am absolutely not, the conversation is 100% about the added risk of allowing people to mix off the ship (outside an excursion bubble) and putting everyone else onboard at risk (those unvaccinated at more risk).
I'm trying to be polite here but you need to read the thread and put the comment in context with the conversation.

I even clearly spoke about the risk to the unvaccinated as their protection is pre-boarding testing. At no point did I say the unvaccinated were a risk to the vaccinated, quite the opposite.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

No, I am absolutely not, the conversation is 100% about the added risk of allowing people to mix off the ship (outside an excursion bubble) and putting everyone else onboard at risk (those unvaccinated at more risk).
I'm trying to be polite here but you need to read the thread and put the comment in context with the conversation.

I even clearly spoke about the risk to the unvaccinated as their protection is pre-boarding testing. At no point did I say the unvaccinated were a risk to the vaccinated, quite the opposite.

As I posted previously that could change after June depending on what Doris has to say in his briefing at that time. Whether MSC remain with their current decision after that point we will have to wait and see.

15 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Remind me to tell you about the time I was late meeting some British friends and said it was due to my khaki pants. And in America we pronounce it like "cacky." Boy, did I get a laugh out of them. 🤣🤣

28 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Remind me to tell you about the time I was late meeting some British friends and said it was due to my khaki pants. And in America we pronounce it like "cacky." Boy, did I get a laugh out of them. 🤣🤣

😂🤣 I bet you did.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, sidari said:

I am under the impression that for those without 2 jabs they will  need to pay for  a 72hrs PCR  negative test prior to sailing date with result in duplicate and  all passengers will be subject to a Rapid lateral flow test at the cruise terminal courtesy of MSC.

Edited by LifeonMars

L.O.M ... Yes that is correct, although this coming Sunday MSC will be changing their system for Grandiosa from Genoa by using a new system of taking saliva samples instead of doing PCR tests. Hopefully if this system works it may well be used for UK sailings.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, LifeonMars said:

I am under the impression that for those without 2 jabs they will  need to pay for  a 72hrs PCR  negative test prior to sailing date with result in duplicate and  all passengers will be subject to a Rapid lateral flow test at the cruise terminal courtesy of MSC.

UK Virtuosa cruises will accept a lateral flow test instead of a PCR test, although it's not yet clear if that includes the home testing lateral flow kits. It's on the website specifically under the UK cruises bit.

They may also have dropped the print out requirement of the results too, although different bits of the website now say different things. 

I sent MSC a screenshot of an SMS from NHS with my lateral flow home test results, to ask if that would be acceptable for those who haven't had both vaccines before sailing. They replied to say that as long as I can show it as an SMS and not a screenshot, it would be fine.

So that will save a lot of money on paying for fit to fly test! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, reef112 said:

I sent MSC a screenshot of an SMS from NHS with my lateral flow home test results, to ask if that would be acceptable for those who haven't had both vaccines before sailing. They replied to say that as long as I can show it as an SMS and not a screenshot, it would be fine.

Oh my word really??  I've just messaged MSC too and I'll see if I get the same reply 😳

It won't affect us as we'll have had both vaccines but it will save our friends almost £200.

Thanks for posting, I wouldn't even have considered that they would accept the NHS home test results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reef112 said:

Was this using one of the at home tests you can order online/pick up from a pharmacy? I’ve never done one before so don’t know the process. 

Many thanks for the info. 

4 hours ago, reef112 said:

Thank you. That is incredibly helpful to know!

16 hours ago, MISSGJ said:

Was this using one of the at home tests you can order online/pick up from a pharmacy? I’ve never done one before so don’t know the process. 

Many thanks for the info. 

Yes - the ones anyone can get hold of for free to do 2 a week.
When you put the results in online, you then get an SMS and email from NHS stating your details along with the test result. It was a screenshot of that that I sent to MSC, along with telling them it was an NHS lateral flow test. 

At first they replied to say that it has been passed on for that to be looked into and they'd get back to me when they have an answer. About a week or so later they sent me another reply to say they now accept showing an SMS or email. So I asked them to confirm that what I had sent them would be usable as the 72 hour pre-arrival test, and they confirmed as long as it was the original and not a screenshot, that was fine.

People could obviously report an incorrect result, or even not take the test, but report a negative result - But all that would do is get them to the terminal, to be tested there and turned away - So in my mind there isn't any benefit to anyone lying when it comes to these pre-arrival tests.

Edited by reef112
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, reef112 said:

Yes - the ones anyone can get hold of for free to do 2 a week.
When you put the results in online, you then get an SMS and email from NHS stating your details along with the test result. It was a screenshot of that that I sent to MSC, along with telling them it was an NHS lateral flow test. 

At first they replied to say that it has been passed on for that to be looked into and they'd get back to me when they have an answer. About a week or so later they sent me another reply to say they now accept showing an SMS or email. So I asked them to confirm that what I had sent them would be usable as the 72 hour pre-arrival test, and they confirmed as long as it was the original and not a screenshot, that was fine.

People could obviously report an incorrect result, or even not take the test, but report a negative result - But all that would do is get them to the terminal, to be tested there and turned away - So in my mind there isn't any benefit to anyone lying when it comes to these pre-arrival tests.

This is so so helpful. Thank you so much for sharing. 

• Like 1