OLife Air

dszrew

One thing to remember is that airline fares go up the closer.you are to the flight. In other words late deals are very rare - mostly because they don’t have to have late sales unlike in some other industries. This is true in general - not that it never happens.

Airlines start with lowest bucket fares and then move up to the next higher one when that bucket is full

2 hours ago, Twiga said:

PhD-iva, you may already know this, but you can include O air when you make your deposit, then cancel it later (before final payment) if you decide to book air on your own.  You don't need to make the decision whether to use O air or not by tomorrow when you make your deposit.

Thx Twiga!

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Texas is BIG!

Looong drive to DFW or IAH. I fly out of AUS or SAT.

Tell me about it

one year we drove from Houston to Odessa

If I had know how desolate it was I would have packed food  LOL

I am seeing  flights  on Delta out of both your airports  with connections in ATL or JFK  for BUS for one way  for about $3000.

You may want to check on Delta site for the multi city pricing  so you can compare what O offers

once you add in all the extra charges ..deviation/non gateway airports

Good luck

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am seeing  flights  on Delta out of both your airports  with connections in ATL or JFK  for BUS for one way  for about $3000.

You may want to check on Delta site for the multi city pricing  so you can compare what O offers

once you add in all the extra charges ..deviation/non gateway airports

Good luck

Thx again! I appreciate the support and good advice I always find on the Oceania and Regent boards!

5 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Yes, thanks again to all for good tips and suggestions. I will probably deviate to arrive early in Rome, but I’ll use my Marriott reward points to book the hotel. Also, will pay the non-gateway upcharge to avoid 3-hour drives to DFW/IAH. 

These are all good points for me to keep in mind when talking w TA tomorrow. I’m very excited to be back on an Oceania cruise!

Do you realize that, if you upgrade to bizclass on O, that bizclass quote you’ll get may seem like a good deal until you realize that you won’t get credit for the economy air fare built into in your cruise fare. In essence your buying two tix per person.

So figure out what the cost of the original air is/was (difference of O Life with and without air is the cost of the original tix. Add to that the quote for bizclass tix. Total of the two is actual cost of that bizclass ticket. (Seldom a good deal). 

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Do you realize that, if you upgrade to bizclass on O, that bizclass quote you’ll get may seem like a good deal until you realize that you won’t get credit for the economy air fare built into in your cruise fare. In essence your buying two tix per person.

So figure out what the cost of the original air is/was (difference of O Life with and without air is the cost of the original tix. Add to that the quote for bizclass tix. Total of the two is actual cost of that bizclass ticket. (Seldom a good deal). 

Will do. Host Jazzbeau suggests the one way ticket for the TA still might be better than self booking. Also, this is not a normal year.  If the difference is only a few hundred, I still might book through O in case of schedule disruptions.

Next I have to think about excursions. I/we would normally do some OLife, some privates organized within the rollcall, and some just walking around on my/our own. My rollcall is active, but most were saying they might stick with OLife this time....

THX!

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Will do. Host Jazzbeau suggests the one way ticket for the TA still might be better than self booking. Also, this is not a normal year.  If the difference is only a few hundred, I still might book through O in case of schedule disruptions.

Next I have to think about excursions. I/we would normally do some OLife, some privates organized within the rollcall, and some just walking around on my/our own. My rollcall is active, but most were saying they might stick with OLife this time....

THX!

For folks who do some or all touring with ship, the tour option is the clear winner for O Life perk choice. Base value of perk is 1 tour = $100 SBC equivalent. Allowable O Life tours are any <$200 w/o OE/OS/etc designation. Ergo, with the right tour choices, you can effectively double your perk. In addition, the O Life tours count toward the minimum number of tour required for the 25% YWYW discount on additional paid tours. 

• Thanks 1

The biggest thing to remember, when using Oceania Air is to book your flights as early as possible, 270 days out.

In a simplified manner think of bulk discounted rate tickets, used by cruise and tour companies like Frequent Flyer seats. There are only so many such tickets allocated by the airlines for such tickets. A plane showing availability of seats, in no way is indicative of any of those seats being available at discount bulk rates. Acting early allows one to choose from a larger supply of routes and planes. Acting later means one is working from a diminished supply. Another important point. Oceania and NCL are not the only dogs in that hunt. Passengers using Princess Air, Viking Air, etc are all vying for those same allocated seats.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:57 AM, pinotlover said:

The biggest thing to remember, when using Oceania Air is to book your flights as early as possible, 270 days out.

In a simplified manner think of bulk discounted rate tickets, used by cruise and tour companies like Frequent Flyer seats. There are only so many such tickets allocated by the airlines for such tickets. A plane showing availability of seats, in no way is indicative of any of those seats being available at discount bulk rates. Acting early allows one to choose from a larger supply of routes and planes. Acting later means one is working from a diminished supply. Another important point. Oceania and NCL are not the only dogs in that hunt. Passengers using Princess Air, Viking Air, etc are all vying for those same allocated seats.

As an "O" newbie with an awful lot of cruise and travel experience I will toss out a contrarian opinion.  When we booked with O we did take the air option which gives us included economy air (to MIA and return from Lima, Peru).  Since we did not pay the deviation fee (an additional $175 per person) O does not assign or ticket any flights and will not do so until sometime after final payment.   Our intent is to eventually book Business Class back from Lima and we will likely cancel our O air (before final payment) and simply book on our own since we can save money when compared to using O to handle Business Class.  

If you act early, pay the deviation fee, and lock in your flights (some now say that O will not do this at the moment) you are at the mercy of the all too common airline route/schedule changes.  These days folks should consider long range airline booking as "advisory" rather then anything close to a fact.  Schedules, prices and aircraft types are changing so often as to make any schedule more then a few weeks in advance almost laughable.   To give you a great example we recently (about 3 weeks ago) booked round trip bus class air on Turkish Air from the USA to Athens for this July.  That is only 2 months away.  Already we have had 3 schedule changes!

Hank

• Like 3