OLife Air

dszrew

58 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I know a lot of people won't agree but we're not  fans of Delta. The last time we flew on them, the flight was change 3 time (time and routing) and the gate was change several times while we were at the airport. Interestingly enough, our flight from Barcelona to Seattle is on Delta. 

Did you not ask for the airline  you wanted or was Delta the only option?

7 hours ago, patty1955 said:

I'm tracking them on google flights. Currently Seattle to Venice is $1037 and Barcelona to Seattle is $786. 

Good. Have you gone to the specific airline site?

1 hour ago, dszrew said:

Ithink you are splitting hairs that few care about. saying "olife air" is certainly faster, although it may be ambiguous if you mean airfare only or airfare with the amenity. 

What about calling it what it is - Oceania included air as there truly is no such thing as O Life air.

O life and air are entirely different options and independent of each other. O Life air to many - especially new to O - seems to imply that you have to get O Life to get the included air fare which is incorrect.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Did you not ask for the airline  you wanted or was Delta the only option?

The only request we made besides the dates was to not travel via Canada. We can't even transit Canada due to past legal issues.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What was the $800 PP extra for?

My read is that is the air credit amount. Just a different way of stating the price. 

18 hours ago, mauibabes said:

I will let Oceania Air Dept come up with their option, then I will make a decision. 

Never used Oceania for air, but looks like assignments are made 75 days out. do they just tell you the flight you are booked on, or is there any kind of "choice" between possible flights? (I know you can pay to make special requests, but wasn't sure how the normal process works.)

sounds like you make final payment including the air charge, then find out later what flight they give you, then you can cancel the air and get a refund for that portion?

3 hours ago, ORV said:

My read is that is the air credit amount. Just a different way of stating the price. 

I guess it was the wording  that she PAID  $800 pp

I just never think of it that way  LOL

I pay the going rate/w air  or cruise only

56 minutes ago, dszrew said:

Never used Oceania for air, but looks like assignments are made 75 days out. do they just tell you the flight you are booked on, or is there any kind of "choice" between possible flights? (I know you can pay to make special requests, but wasn't sure how the normal process works.)

sounds like you make final payment including the air charge, then find out later what flight they give you, then you can cancel the air and get a refund for that portion?

You pay your money & take your chances  on the flights you get

If you are picky or want to do pre or post days either pay the deviation fee & pick the flights you want  then see if Oceania can get them  or take the air credit & book your own

JMO

As for cancelling after the fact  you may get less  credit that close to sailing as you may have gotten if you declined the air when you booked

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

As for cancelling after the fact  you may get less  credit that close to sailing as you may have gotten if you declined the air when you booked

If I were to add air closer to sailing, I might expect the amount I'd pay might be more than if I had booked it originally. but it seems that when you book you know exactly how much the air is (compare the with air price to the without air price) and I wouldn't expect that to go down.

if that's the case, and if they just give me what flight they want to give me, I'd likely be unhappy with it at any cost savings or rather I'd pay whatever extra is required to control my own flights and reserve them when I'm ready. (I also have a problem that often these type of tickets won't allow seat assignments until ticketed, which is 60 days before sailing, which also means on some flights only middle seats left!)

33 minutes ago, dszrew said:

If I were to add air closer to sailing, I might expect the amount I'd pay might be more than if I had booked it originally.

That is correct

If you wait to book Oceania air until final payment or later  then price  may be higher

They may not have any low end bulk tickets left on that route   so they will have to charge more  for the next level of bulk tickets they can get

For what it's worth, I made a dummy booking on the website and was unable to opt out of O Life. Am I missing something on the website? Or do you have to actually call Oceania to get just cruise plus air? Or am I totally misunderstanding what you folks are saying here? (always a possibility...)  Any insights are appreciated.

I appreciate @Paulchili's attempt to clarify the terminology, but I think the real source of the confusion is Oceania's website and as they say 'you can't fight City Hall.'  I have read every post in this thread, and I feel like I understand less about how this works than before I started reading!  But luckily I didn't need to figure it out, because I have a good TA and she understands it. 😀

Thanks in advance for the advice. We are booked on the Marina in November from Rome to Venice. We are experienced cruisers but first time on Oceania.

The additional airfare seemed like a good deal when I booked (I usually book my own). It looks like it was $850 per person and we paid $398 for the premium economy upgrade. But I was unaware that there were additional charges to arrive early, stay after and try to go a certain route. We want to arrive early/stay late.

I checked today and can get an Alitalia premium economy non-stop from MIA to FCO for $1300 or $1600 if we decide to fly from Venice to Rome instead of take the train. I really like the convenience of non-stop as opposed to flying through a major European city.

By the time I pay change fees to Oceania air, am I better off just booking these flights myself?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Thanks in advance for the advice. We are booked on the Marina in November from Rome to Venice. We are experienced cruisers but first time on Oceania.

The additional airfare seemed like a good deal when I booked (I usually book my own). It looks like it was $850 per person and we paid $398 for the premium economy upgrade. But I was unaware that there were additional charges to arrive early, stay after and try to go a certain route. We want to arrive early/stay late.

I checked today and can get an Alitalia premium economy non-stop from MIA to FCO for $1300 or $1600 if we decide to fly from Venice to Rome instead of take the train. I really like the convenience of non-stop as opposed to flying through a major European city.

By the time I pay change fees to Oceania air, am I better off just booking these flights myself?

The arrive early/stay late is called a deviation in Oceania language.  It will be $175 per person for the entire request.  You can request specific airlines on an individual request and make additional requests if you don't like the results from Oceania air on the first.  You don't pay the $175 PP until you accept a flight schedule.  Seating is still an issue as the earliest you can get Oceania to issue the tickets is after the final payment.  Once the tickets are issued, the booking is your responsibility. 

10 minutes ago, arima22 said:

The arrive early/stay late is called a deviation in Oceania language.  It will be $175 per person for the entire request.  You can request specific airlines on an individual request and make additional requests if you don't like the results from Oceania air on the first.  You don't pay the $175 PP until you accept a flight schedule.  Seating is still an issue as the earliest you can get Oceania to issue the tickets is after the final payment.  Once the tickets are issued, the booking is your responsibility. 

I've already picked my tickets and I haven't made my final payment. Lufthansa and Delta and the cruise is 160 days out. 

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I appreciate @Paulchili's attempt to clarify the terminology, but I think the real source of the confusion is Oceania's website and as they say 'you can't fight City Hall.' 

I agree and that is one reason I am trying to clarify this issue - especially to newbies to O.

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

I've already picked my tickets and I haven't made my final payment. Lufthansa and Delta and the cruise is 160 days out. 

Do you have your airline locator number (PNR) ?

Can you log into the airline site  & choose  or change seats ?

2 hours ago, lorimay said:

Did you ask to fly in earlier than the sail date?

28 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Did you ask to fly in earlier than the sail date?

I was told by the Oceania representative they would be in touch with me about the flights after July 4. Final payment is August 4. Maybe I should give them a call and see what I can find out. It would be great if I could arrange it now. 

8 hours ago, lorimay said:

I was told by the Oceania representative they would be in touch with me about the flights after July 4. Final payment is August 4. Maybe I should give them a call and see what I can find out. It would be great if I could arrange it now. 

If you want to fly in early or stay longer than cruise dates  USUALLY   you can request the flights 270 days out

Once you both agree (you & Oceania ) you pay the non refundable deviation fee

If you just go with the included air you usually will find out about 75 days  prior  but it will be for embarkation day & disembarkation day

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Very interesting

So you have been ticketed??

Or just the flights are confirmed?

What do you consider "ticketed"? I have a confirmation number, I have picked my seats and I've added my FF to the Delta flight.