Education on the NCL Joy, Haven (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony Cabin #18700

Sthrngary

6 hours ago, poly3503 said:

Gary,

I will be in 18700 on the September 25 sailing.This is our first time on one of the larger ships. We love the  Jewel class , especially the Jade.

I booked the Prima last week.

That is super.  You will be in the same suite as we will.  Please touch base when you cruise.  Anything or information I can help you with prior to your cruise, let me know.  

Side note question.  What suite did you book on the Prima?  Cruise well. 

We were in the H2 on Bliss (sister ship) for 21 days, Nov ‘19.  I think the thing my adult daughter liked the best was the size of the 2nd bedroom.  It is soo much larger than the 2 bedroom suite.  She decided to leave the Murphy bed left down all the time and there was plenty of room to move around in the room. She said the bed was definitely more comfortable than the little bed in the 2 bedroom suite.  

Our butler was fantastic.  We had friends (non-haven) to our suite most days.  He always made sure we had plenty of snacks and brought different things for lunch.

I know this is a 1st world problem, but we always argued who was going to go answer the door...That’s a looong hallway!🤣

B9189CA9-0909-4246-B194-FA5E6AE9B5E1.jpeg

742AB878-6FD5-405D-9D5F-F9BDE0C70A3D.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ImADaneFan said:

We were in the H2 on Bliss (sister ship) for 21 days, Nov ‘19.  I think the thing my adult daughter liked the best was the size of the 2nd bedroom.  It is soo much larger than the 2 bedroom suite.  She decided to leave the Murphy bed left down all the time and there was plenty of room to move around in the room. She said the bed was definitely more comfortable than the little bed in the 2 bedroom suite.  

Our butler was fantastic.  We had friends (non-haven) to our suite most days.  He always made sure we had plenty of snacks and brought different things for lunch.

I know this is a 1st world problem, but we always argued who was going to go answer the door...That’s a looong hallway!🤣

B9189CA9-0909-4246-B194-FA5E6AE9B5E1.jpeg

742AB878-6FD5-405D-9D5F-F9BDE0C70A3D.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time to answer.  Very Helpful.

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tippingon our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests.
NCL tipping policy 2020

26 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tippingon our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests.
NCL tipping policy 2020

Tipping is at the digression of the client.  Agreed. 

Just now, Sthrngary said:

Yes, stroke moment in my spelling. 

Happens to me all the time, even in spoken discourse. I always say "refrigerator" when I mean "dishwasher," I swear.

BTW I love the guidance and advice you give people on here. You are so helpful and polite.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 8:16 AM, Sthrngary said:

So lets share what we know.  1) They will give us three bottles of spirits or wine on day one.  They have a list and we can choose. 2) The mixers and waters in this suite are refreshed daily.  Unlike any other suite, they are complementary.  After all my work, study and research; everything else about this suite is the same as any other Haven Suite.  The biggest differentiate is the size, location, and large wrap around balcony. 

So if we have ever traveled in the Haven, it should be similar.  My hopes are that some folks can tell us both if their is anything else that is a benefit, or amenity that we don't know about. I promise when I cruise, I will do a detailed review if for no other reason that I won't ever be able to afford this suite again.  Something to look back on. Cruise well everyone.

Just booked our first H2 cabin on NCL Breakaway leaving NOLA in March 22.  Departure day is our 30th wedding anniversary.

Two questions:

I like martinis. Can you get a small amount of vermouth in your room?

My booking says 2 x 2 Meal Speciality Dining Package.  Is that two dinners for two people?

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Just booked our first H2 cabin on NCL Breakaway leaving NOLA in March 22.  Departure day is our 30th wedding anniversary.

Two questions:

My booking says 2 x 2 Meal Speciality Dining Package.  Is that two dinners for two people?

The speciality dining package would be for 2 dinners each, for 2 people.  You can select any of the speciality restaurants to use them in.

With the H2 you will get 3 liter bottles of alcohol included, plus mixers, like sodas or juices.  The butler will provide a list of items for you to choose from. I’ll look and see if I can find the alcohol list from our Bliss cruise. I found an older list, but this will give you an idea of what’s offered

Linda

D7A40657-AE68-4512-AC46-7222379290DF.jpeg

Edited by ImADaneFan

1 hour ago, ImADaneFan said:

The speciality dining package would be for 2 dinners each, for 2 people.  You can select any of the speciality restaurants to use them in.

With the H2 you will get 3 liter bottles of alcohol included, plus mixers, like sodas or juices.  The butler will provide a list of items for you to choose from. I’ll look and see if I can find the alcohol list from our Bliss cruise. I found an older list, but this will give you an idea of what’s offered

Linda

D7A40657-AE68-4512-AC46-7222379290DF.jpeg

This was extremely helpful, thank you.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Two questions:

My booking says 2 x 2 Meal Specialty Dining Package.  Is that two dinners for two people?

I did the Getaway from Nola.  I am doing the same itinerary with the Joy out of Miami in November.  On to your questions.  The above poster is correct.  Two Specialty Restaurants for two people.  On the vermouth.  Since you are in the Haven Area.  Here is what you can do.  

Go to the Haven Bartender.  Ask for some vermouth.  Bring a plastic bottle with your.  Problem solved.  Ask your butler to bring a Martini Shaker to your suite, have them replace your ice about the time you like making Martini's.  Ask if he can put two martini glasses in your freezer  in the suite. And ask for some Blue Cheese Stuffed olives.  All of this is a plan and should be no issues for your butler. 

If you book with an American Express Platinum.  You will get a perk of onboard credit of $300.00 and dinner for two at the French restaurant.  Just a FYI

Edited by Sthrngary

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I did the Getaway from Nola.  I am doing the same itinerary with the Joy out of Miami in November.  On to your questions.  The above poster is correct.  Two Specialty Restaurants for two people.  On the vermouth.  Since you are in the Haven Area.  Here is what you can do.  

Go to the Haven Bartender.  Ask for some vermouth.  Bring a plastic bottle with your.  Problem solved.  Ask your butler to bring a Martini Shaker to your suite, have them replace your ice about the time you like making Martini's.  Ask if he can put two martini glasses in your freezer  in the suite. And ask for some Blue Cheese Stuffed olives.  All of this is a plan and should be no issues for your butler. 

If you book with an American Express Platinum.  You will get a perk of onboard credit of $300.00 and dinner for two at the French restaurant.  Just a FYI

Thanks.  I figured I would have to get a small supply of vermouth from the bar.  I would hate to use one of the three bottles for some vermouth.  Nice advice about the shaker, ice, glasses, etc.  I keep two martini glasses in my freezer and a bottle of gin too.  I'll have to try the blue cheese stuffed olives.

The wife wants to do La Bistro and probably Ocean Blue for our two specialty dinners.

This is our first Norwegian cruise.

Another question:  a bit of luck, our anniversary actually falls on embarkation day.  You think the butler could provide some appetizers on our balcony?   Or, is there a small buffet in the Haven?   I had a gastric sleeve about 14 months ago and I simply can't eat a lot.  Wouldn't need a large amount.  I find that a typical dessert plate is about all I can handle.  BTW, I've lost 80 pounds.  Pants from a 48 to a 34, shirts from XXXL to L.

I went with the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead of the American Express Platinum.  Fairly similar in perks.

Edited by RocketMan275

2 hours ago, ImADaneFan said:

Linda

Thanks.  Looking forward to the List from Bliss.  

49 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thanks.  I figured I would have to get a small supply of vermouth from the bar.  I would hate to use one of the three bottles for some vermouth.  Nice advice about the shaker, ice, glasses, etc.  I keep two martini glasses in my freezer and a bottle of gin too.  I'll have to try the blue cheese stuffed olives.

The wife wants to do La Bistro and probably Ocean Blue for our two specialty dinners.

This is our first Norwegian cruise.

Another question:  a bit of luck, our anniversary actually falls on embarkation day.  You think the butler could provide some appetizers on our balcony?   Or, is there a small buffet in the Haven?   I had a gastric sleeve about 14 months ago and I simply can't eat a lot.  Wouldn't need a large amount.  I find that a typical dessert plate is about all I can handle.  BTW, I've lost 80 pounds.  Pants from a 48 to a 34, shirts from XXXL to L.

I went with the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead of the American Express Platinum.  Fairly similar in perks.

My wife had Lapband, by daughter had the sleeve.  I had to pay for both so I lost my appetite and went on Keto. 

You are asking the right questions.  Allow me to help.  If you don't see your butler right as you get into your suite, call him/her on the mobile phone on your suite desk.  Tell him/her what you want, your limitations, and be specific.  When ever possible, insist that all room service comes from only the Haven Dinning Room.  Regular room service is not that great.  They usually deliver afternoon snacks every day so getting to your butler quick is the key since everyone usually gets the same snacks otherwise.  

We asked for cheese, nuts and raw veges and we had to tell the Butler to stop because he brought so much.  I also hate waste.  Nice to go on a cruise when you lose weight for sure.  Congrats. 

59 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My wife had Lapband, by daughter had the sleeve.  I had to pay for both so I lost my appetite and went on Keto. 

You are asking the right questions.  Allow me to help.  If you don't see your butler right as you get into your suite, call him/her on the mobile phone on your suite desk.  Tell him/her what you want, your limitations, and be specific.  When ever possible, insist that all room service comes from only the Haven Dinning Room.  Regular room service is not that great.  They usually deliver afternoon snacks every day so getting to your butler quick is the key since everyone usually gets the same snacks otherwise.  

We asked for cheese, nuts and raw veges and we had to tell the Butler to stop because he brought so much.  I also hate waste.  Nice to go on a cruise when you lose weight for sure.  Congrats. 

I was fortunate in that between Medicare and Tricare, all my expenses were covered.

I've seen a couple of comments about the Concierge contacting you prior to the sailing? Is that true?

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

I was fortunate in that between Medicare and Tricare, all my expenses were covered.

I've seen a couple of comments about the Concierge contacting you prior to the sailing? Is that true?

60 days out, you get a letter with a phone number or email.  I email them.  It is the haven concierge desk. Not the one on the boat. They have been off for the last few months. They come back online next week. I have the email address. I’ll try to find itIt is the haven concierge desk. Not the one on the boat. They have been off for the last few months. They come back online next week. I have the email address. I’ll try to find it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

60 days out, you get a letter with a phone number or email.  I email them.  It is the haven concierge desk. Not the one on the boat. They have been off for the last few months. They come back online next week. I have the email address. I’ll try to find itIt is the haven concierge desk. Not the one on the boat. They have been off for the last few months. They come back online next week. I have the email address. I’ll try to find it

That would be great.  We're not cruising until March so there's no rush.

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That would be great.  We're not cruising until March so there's no rush.

Her name is Maria and email is    mebenite(at)ncl(dot)com .  

I have asked for all kinds of things.  Like Cpap water, extension cords.  Change in reservations pre-cruise for Specialty Restaurants. Some things I have to wait until I get onboard.  They get back with you pretty quickly.

This is only for Haven and they usually only respond when 90 days or less to cruise.  Provide your reservation or booking number so they can verify you are in the Haven.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

the pre cruise concierge is available, but please do not count on your requests being passed on to your Ship.  Expect to have to ask your Butler for any request you made, but hope that your requests will be there for you upon arrival!  Just from several past experiences.  

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, cpj74 said:

I will be in 18100 on the Joy in January 2022.  I've been reading all these comments and am still on the fence about tipping the butler.  I was thinking maybe I give some money every day?  Thoughts?

Some of what I am about to say may be the same as you read, bare with me.

I am in 18700, on the Joy at the end of November 2021.  The butler is not under the pre-paid gratuities program that your waiter and cabin staff are under.  It is appropriate to provide them with a gratuity.  

The real question is when?  I say day one because of some of the experiences I have had with Butlers in the past.  As soon as I tipped them up front, every single butler was over the top great.  I get a lot of heat on this because that is NOT customary.  Customary is to tip on the last day.  I know that, I have been cruising for 42 years.

My issue was simply wanting to improve my overall cruise experience.  If you have a butler and know how to enjoy their services, your cruise experience can be enhanced. So I ask several butlers about how they felt about it.  I was told that they depend on the gratuities.  That many cruisers don't know they are not part of the pre-paid gratuities program.  That they can not really bring it up or they can loose their jobs.  Finally, many guest just don't provide a gratuity for what ever reason.  They are NOT insulted by getting it upfront.  They are hurt when they bust their bottoms to do a great job and get stiffed.  

Weather you give them a bit every day, all upfront or all at the end.  It does not matter.  No one is right and not one is wrong.  Not giving (I know you NEVER said that) is not fair knowing what we all know now.  

It is very important for me to make one more point.  We are so fortunate in our country to live so well.  These folks have taken on harsh financial hit not working for so long.  My position is give them a bit more, not crazy just a bit.  

I hope my perspective helped and all I am trying to do is for every single person whom cruises have the best cruise possible.

Cruise well and enjoy every minute.

• Like 3

sthrngary: once again, well said, absolutely correct  and as usual spot on!

cpj74: if you have a butler, leave a tip. i usually give him $100 at the end of our cruise. 

your butler (if he's any good) will be performing many services for you throughout the day. remember it's 24hr on call service. i think giving him/her a tip goes without saying

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cpj74 said:

I will be in 18100 on the Joy in January 2022.  I've been reading all these comments and am still on the fence about tipping the butler.  I was thinking maybe I give some money every day?  Thoughts?

I’ll be in the Haven Jan 15. I was also thinking maybe I tip day 1 and day 6? 

what kind of things can you ask your butler to do?

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The real question is when?  I say day one because of some of the experiences I have had with Butlers in the past.  As soon as I tipped them up front, every single butler was over the top great.  I get a lot of heat on this because that is NOT customary.  Customary is to tip on the last day.  I know that, I have been cruising for 42 years.

DOS on Breakaway.  Two persons. Seven days.

I've heard 

Butler $10-$15 per person in room per day (~$150-$200)
Concierge $5-$10 per person in room per day (~$70-$140)

Steward extra $5-$10 per person per day  (~$70-$140)

Our personal POV is that we like to tip early, tip a lot, and tip often.

Do you find those tips appropriate?  Yes, I know it depends but are they in the ballpark?

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Thanks 1