Vaccine not required to cruise - will MSC change policy?

Alsmez

I booked an MSC Cruise for this January before I realized that MSC is not requiring all passengers to be vaccinated. Obviously a lot can happen between now and January, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable cruising with unvaccinated passengers. Most of the other major lines have announced it will be required - any chance MSC will fall in line?

Are you sailing from the US?  Europe?

I'm guessing that since the US sailings will be a fresh start, perhaps that will be a time to begin requiring them.  Of course, when they started sailing in Europe many months ago, there were no vaccines.

I'm with you; agree that I would definitely prefer that all passengers be vaccinated.  MSC has said that crew will be, so that's a good sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We'll be sailing from the US. However, if the state of Florida is in charge of requirements, who knows what they'll do. They have been way more lax than most other states on everything from mask mandates to reopening schedules up to this point.

1 hour ago, neptuno said:

We are pre-booked for a December'21 cruise out of Miami.  Hopefully the vaccine will be mandated for all passengers.  We will cancel our booking if not.

Why? You are vaccinated so you are safe...it's the people who aren't vaccinated that will be in quarantine. Not you

• Like 7

3 hours ago, korpo024 said:

Why? You are vaccinated so you are safe...it's the people who aren't vaccinated that will be in quarantine. Not you

Korpo ... like you I cannot understand the thinking behind this, although even those who had the jab can still catch and pass on the virus! There are many reports and cases of it happening around the World with Eight members of a US Baseball team having caught it after having both jabs.

40 minutes ago, sidari said:

Korpo ... like you I cannot understand the thinking behind this, although even those who had the jab can still catch and pass on the virus! There are many reports and cases of it happening around the World with Eight members of a US Baseball team having caught it after having both jabs.

But are they sick? No..only very mild symptoms. Let's move on and let cruising be normal again. By the way...in three weeks I am fully vaccinated. But children won't be vaccinated in Europe for a long time and MSC is a family cruise line, so they will not have the policy that only fully vaccinated people can board.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, korpo024 said:

But are they sick? No..only very mild symptoms. Let's move on and let cruising be normal again. By the way...in three weeks I am fully vaccinated. But children won't be vaccinated in Europe for a long time and MSC is a family cruise line, so they will not have the policy that only fully vaccinated people can board.

I would be surprised if they did change it for Europe though they might be forced to in the USA unless they sail from a different embarkation port.

2 hours ago, korpo024 said:

But children won't be vaccinated in Europe for a long time and MSC is a family cruise line, so they will not have the policy that only fully vaccinated people can board.

The American lines that are requiring vaccinations for adults also make exceptions for children since the vaccine is not yet approved for people under 12. We try to sail when there won't be many kids on board anyway, so this isn't a major concern for us. 

7 hours ago, korpo024 said:

4 hours ago, sidari said:

For me it's simple, why would I cruise with unvaccinated if I have the choice, sure I might not get seriously sick because I'm vaccinated, I don't want corvid while on holiday (vacation), end of story.

I also don't want to be on a ship if there was an outbreak and people end up in quarantine, it may not be and issue on a single country cruise but a "sick" ship will likely not be able to port in some countries. I might be protected but that does not change the worlds view of a "sick" ship.

Simple in my eyes, if I have the choice to cruise with 100% vaccinated crew and passengers (even no children) which is NCLs offering, why would I not choose that. Additionally, when people break the rules, as they inevitably do, I would rather those rule breakers are vaccinated rule breakers.

My cruise, my choice. 

And yes, I know there are lots of things I can catch while on a cruise, I do what I can to avoid them too.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, korpo024 said:

But if the ship has to return to home port/skip ports, all of us are affected.

• Like 2

I will also add that while NCL, P&O, Cunard, Virgin etc etc have said "vaccinated only" that leaves MSC for the unvaccinated, meaning an un-proportionally higher number of unvacated and probably the cruise line of choice for the antivax brigade..

As I said my cruise, my choice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, neptuno said:

We are pre-booked for a December'21 cruise out of Miami.  Hopefully the vaccine will be mandated for all passengers.  We will cancel our booking if not.

Well, you will probably cancel. Florida does not allow any company doing business in Florida to ask if you ahve been vaccinated or not. A $5000.00 fine if they do. The only thing they allow is that they can request you to wear a mask in their business. So far Publix Super Market and Walmart do not require masks any longer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

I will also add that while NCL, P&O, Cunard, Virgin etc etc have said "vaccinated only" that leaves MSC for the unvaccinated, meaning an un-proportionally higher number of unvacated and probably the cruise line of choice for the antivax brigade..

As I said my cruise, my choice.

Does that mean you stay in the house at home because there is every chance you at some point will come into contact with those who won't or can't have the jab in the outside world including the workplace? 

I see that you have been brainwashed by the media using the "antivax" brigade Derogatory term, what next "Refuseniks" "None Coercionist's"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, sidari said:

Does that mean you stay in the house at home because there is every chance you at some point will come into contact with those who won't or can't have the jab in the outside world including the workplace? 

I see that you have been brainwashed by the media using the "antivax" brigade Derogatory term, what next "Refuseniks" "None Coercionist's"

Obviously not which is why I'm booked on Virtuosos. Strange conclusion to draw from my comment.

I take the safest choice at all times, I choose not to use public transport if I can take my own car, or bike.

I wonder why you question my choice, I would rather sail on a vaccinated ship, it's a thought out decision I have made and that's why I booked another NCL on Friday.

My choice and I have explained the reasons, strange you feel the need to question my choice.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lienf said:

If I read that article correctly it is dated October 29th last year. Are there any further updates, and how many of their cruise were cut short?

Here's an article from February of this year, with some information as to how things were handled in this specific case:

Cruise Passenger Tests Positive for COVID-19 on MSC Grandiosa | Cruise Law News