Unlimited Dining Package and Gratuties

Booked my first Royal cruise to Alaska on Ovation OTS for September.(not new to cruising, btw).  I have purchased the unlimited dining package and the deluxe beverage package.  The beverage pkg “included” the 18% gratuity at checkout...the dining package did not. 

So, my question is...how much do I tip at each restaurant?  Obviously. The package is a better deal than paying for all these meals al a carte....for those of you who have done this before, how did you handle tipping?  I assume my standard ship wide gratuity that would normally go to the MDR dining staff isn’t transferred to the individual specialty restaurants?  Just a little confused...help a Royal Virgin out will ya? 😁

4 hours ago, chefchick said:

Booked my first Royal cruise to Alaska on Ovation OTS for September.(not new to cruising, btw).  I have purchased the unlimited dining package and the deluxe beverage package.  The beverage pkg “included” the 18% gratuity at checkout...the dining package did not. 

So, my question is...how much do I tip at each restaurant?  Obviously. The package is a better deal than paying for all these meals al a carte....for those of you who have done this before, how did you handle tipping?  I assume my standard ship wide gratuity that would normally go to the MDR dining staff isn’t transferred to the individual specialty restaurants?  Just a little confused...help a Royal Virgin out will ya? 😁

Depends? 18% is already included. But, if the service was really good, we leave $10/person. If service is meh -- it happens -- $5/person.

• Like 1

The “old” UDP includes the 18% gratuity so it is not necessary to tip in addition unless you want to.  We always do, but that’s a personal decision.

The “new” UDP breaks the 18% gratuity out so that you can see it but the cost of the 2 plans are generally the same AT THIS TIME.  Personally, I expect the cost of the UDP to increase so that the gratuity will become an “extra” cost but that is strictly a projection.  It is not currently accurate.

5 hours ago, chefchick said:

Even though they do not show separately Gratuities are included in the dining package and nothing more needs to be added.  that being said many do leave an additional amount.   We leave $5pp

• Like 2

Thanks all.  After searching here and not finding what I was looking for I did a google search and found it in the small print on RC website 🙄. Anyway, I appreciate the assistance.  Really looking forward to my first Royal cruise!

• Like 2