June 2021 Update: HAL Dry Docks, Charters & Groups Onboard

VMax1700

Three weeks of the Nieuw Amsterdam's schedule have vanished, but charters are listed at other sources. In all cases (or certainly at least in the November 6 one), many, many people have called various departments of HAL-the charter department, their PCCs, and other HAL agents. My TA called today and was told the cruise is going forward. Someone else called the charter department, who told her they did not know if it was a full or partial charter (it's a full) and the paperwork was not complete. Me, I don't think they will let us know until final payment. HAL is doing a very poor job of communication. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

On the roll call for the Koningsdam February 2  Hawaii cruise, someone has mentioned there will be a large group of seeing-eye dogs  (and their owners...).

A large group?  One poster says over 100 vision impaired or blind cruisers.  That does seem like a very large group for one cruise. 

Thanks for the 'heads up' @Vict0riann

26 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

A large group?  One poster says over 100 vision impaired or blind cruisers.  That does seem like a very large group for one cruise. 

Thanks for the 'heads up' @Vict0riann

Not trying to be funny, but what in the world do they do with 100 guide dogs on board a cruise ship? Obviously, the dogs have special "needs" how do they deal with that? I flew a 3 hour flight with a puppy once and got stuck in an airport due to a delayed flight: it was quite a challenge. Again, not trying to be a smart alec, I am just very curious about how the ship deals with that...

Edited by mtnlvr53

6 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Not trying to be funny, but what in the world do they do with 100 guide dogs on board a cruise ship? Obviously, the dogs have special "needs" how do they deal with that? I flew a 3 hour flight with a puppy once and got stuck in an airport due to a delayed flight: it was quite a challenge. Again, not trying to be a smart alec, I am just very curious about how the ship deals with that...

18 days cruise with 10 sea days.  Two ports are tender ports.  Doesn't seem an entirely appropriate selection for a group this size.  Would drive me barking mad if I was on it.

Note - the poster stated a group of 100 vision impaired/blind cruisers and  did not specifically say 100 seeing dogs.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

18 days cruise with 10 sea days.  Two ports are tender ports.  Doesn't seem an entirely appropriate selection for a group this size.  Would drive me barking mad if I was on it.

Note - the poster stated a group of 100 vision impaired/blind cruisers and  did not specifically say 100 seeing dogs.

LOL on the barking mad.

I doubt there would be that many seeing eye dogs unless HAL is putting up more “grass” units for them.  Have you seen the size of the little grass area for the dogs to relieve themselves.

It’s a good thing that guide dogs are well trained as a lot of dogs that size would say forget this and “go” somewhere else 😉 

However many guide dogs there are on the cruise, they will NOT be disruptive nor bother anyone.  These are true service dogs that cost thousands of dollars to fully train and train with the owner.  They are models of the sacrifices dogs do for humanity.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I doubt there would be that many seeing eye dogs unless HAL is putting up more “grass” units for them.  Have you seen the size of the little grass area for the dogs to relieve themselves.

The size of what my mother would have called 'a half tin of biscuits' 😁

Would they be better off on Celebrity and use the Lawn Club for relief? 🙄

We often 'meet' the trainees in our local supermarket as it welcomes the dogs being trained.

27 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The size of what my mother would have called 'a half tin of biscuits' 😁

Would they be better off on Celebrity and use the Lawn Club for relief? 🙄

We often 'meet' the trainees in our local supermarket as it welcomes the dogs being trained.

1/2 tin of biscuits is a PERFECT description.  Fine for tiny weeny dogs, but labs , shepherds or poodles (standard service dogs).  I don’t know if I would want to subject mine to that.

I’m guessing HAL will doing something special hopefully for these sized dogs.

YAY on your local supermarket letting them train there.  It’s SO important that they are exposed to everything.

Guide dogs are amazing.  I’m a big fan and support.  My uncle would be lost without his. ♥️ 

Edited to say- apologies as I didn’t mean to divert from your thread but for anyone on this cruise - no worries - these are true service dogs and you will be enchanted.  They will not disrupt a thing.

10 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I’m looking forward to the many service dogs.  Just hope I can keep my hands off them!   Evidently HAL told one questioner the the grassy plots will be in “discrete “ areas.  

They are beautiful Ann and well behaved.  Always ask first before touching.  If they are working, they won’t be allowed to react.  

The owner will release them if it’s appropriate and you can pet to your heart’s desire.  If they have their vest on, just ask first.

The grassy plots are in discreet areas - on the Sky deck and another one if I recall correctly.  

I checked them out for a friend with a service dog who was contemplating sailing.

I'm on this cruise as well.  Add me to the list of dog loving people who are glad there will be lots of service pups on board!  I will be respectful but would love to hug and pet them all!  I've seen the grassy plots on the promenade decks on the Amsterdam and Veendam and they are about 3 feet by 3 feet.

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2021 at 6:31 PM, VMax1700 said:

GROUPS ONBOARD

Eurodam:

15 August 2021 – 22 August 2021 : Idyllic Greek Isles : Continuing Education Group

03 November 2021 – 14 November 2021 : Panama Canal : Quilting Group

Hi @VMax1700,

Thanks for maintaining this info. I believe the Eurodam 30 October 2021 - 14 November 2021 is showing as the Spanish Farewell trans-Atlantic.  Not sure about the Quilting...

Thank you!

At the time I posted the Charters Listing, the Quilting Group was still showing the Eurodam 03 November - 14 November cruise as available to book on its own website.  HAL did not announce the additional Europe cruises until May 25th, when Eurodam officially replaced Westerdam for the Trans Atlantic trip.

If I find a major anomaly between a Group's published schedule or itinerary, I will still post it on the Listing, as who knows, they may have more up to date information than HAL does 🤣

This time however, I will plead that it was a timing situation as although I posted the June update on May 31st, I had prepared it a few days earlier.  

I will try harder! 😉

• Like 2