Fly into Miama day of cruise or day before

On 6/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, Ashland said:

Some people just don't realize options are sometimes limited...and yes..agree..we do what will work the best for us too for each particular situation.

When we've flown into FLL day of cruise..several of the people on our flight were doing the same thing...so a bit more popular than some think on these boards.

When we first started cruising in 1993, we never gave it a thought to fly in the day of boarding or to buy the insurance.  As we aged, we became more aware of potential problems.  It certainly worked for us on the cruise where we forgot our passports.  As for insurance, we didn't lose a dime when hubby ended up in the ER in 2020 and we had to cancel at the last minute.

I fly from Wisconsin and here is my thought process when considering a flight on the day of...

Drive to Chicago (2.5 hours) and fly out of O'hare.

Only fly direct.  No connecting flights.

What time of year is it?  Jan-Mar could mean snow delay at the airport.  Don't chance it.

Book through Air2Sea to take advantage of their flight delay coverage.

Normally we will fly in the day before, but lately I have chanced it.

One huge advantage to flying in the day before is you get to decompress.  Travel days are stressful.  It's worth having extra time to get your mind and body in vacation mode.

I just watched a youtube video of two travelers flying from US to Bahamas and they said that while they were in line there were 15 groups of travelers.    Out of the 15 they were the only ones who made it on the flight!   Flight oversold, passengers didn't have required documentation, etc.   Crazy!

Cracked airplane windshield taught me many years ago to always book non-stops and always fly in day before.  Relieves stress and cost of hotel is cheap travel insurance.

Sometimes it isn't the plane or the weather that gets you.  Couple of years ago we had a 10am flight EWR - FLL on Saturday of presidents day weekend.  Verified flight was on time before leaving house.  Got to airport and discovered FAA had halted all flights south of Jacksonville due to an anticipated Space X launch which had been scrubbed prior day.  Sat in airport full of unhappy spring breakers 4 hours before learning this launch too had been scrubbed.  Thank you Elon Musk.  Finally reached FLL at 4pm.  Our ship didn't leave until next day so we were ok but saw lots of folks with Carnival and Royal luggage tags running frantically through airport.