Internet packages - a good deal??

I'm booked on a 50 day with Hal and am currently signed up for the 'extra' package deal they are offering.  It includes internet but I'm thinking of dropping the whopping extra $2, 000 and just buying stuff I figure I'll need.  Anyone bought a package ( $400 for 40--51 day ) and how did it work our?

Thanks  Shar

Edited by Ontariotrekker
flying wizard

It depends on how fast the on board internet is and where you will be cruising.    If it is a half or a third of what you might be used to then factor that into the price accordingly.  We refuse to pay top dollar for sub standard service-whatever the reason.

We do not bother any more unless we get free minutes...which we do on one or two cruise lines.   No urgent need for it any more.  We wait until we are in port.

We typically return to the ship an hour or two prior to departure. We grab our ipads, go back to shore two or three streets in and try to find a quiet bar that has internet (vs a popular crowded place where there are too many people clogging the net), get a drink and check our mail or make forward travel arrangements.

Edited by iancal

As noted above, the internet quality depends on the cruise location and time of day where you compete with your fellow passengers for bandwidth. Internet speed in Alaska is atrocious and often loses signal.  The Caribbean cruises are directly under the satellites and the signals are decent and reliable.

In both locations, breakfast time and the rest of the day until 10:00 PM, the passengers swamp the internet.  Many of the staterooms have repeaters to extend the signal but many do not. Sitting in your open stateroom doorway, going to the Explorations Cafe and/or library, or finding ceiling pods around the indoor pool seating area may get you a stronger signal.

As long as you don't have high expectations of video streaming, HAL internet will let you keep in touch with relatives/friends/work emails

If you want to find the best internet cafes in ports, as your Room Steward since that is how they keep in touch with home..  

Since HAL upgraded their internet a few years ago, I have never had to work on my IPAD with the door open (I remember those days) or go to the Crow’s Nest, Explorations Cafe, etc for a better signal.

I’ve crossed the Atlantic and other than a couple of spots for a very short period of time, we had a non issue.

On the other hand, on our Hawaii, Marquesas, Tahiti cruise, the internet was abysmal.  I honestly think that the person in charge of the satellite didn’t have 2 sweet clues.  How can you not have internet when you are docked in Hawaii?  On that particular cruise, HAL refunded a portion of the internet cost but other than those 2 days and one other spot, the internet was fine.

Bear in mind it’s not high speed internet but it works quite well.  How well it will work for streaming is another story which I can’t attest to.

I find early morning and later evening and potentially dinner times the fastest times but have not had issues during the day that much.

Is it worth it?  It depends upon what you want to use it for and if you want to spend port time to try to use wifi.

On the longer cruises, the per diem rate is a lot less so it becomes more and more affordable IMO when you work it out.

I like to have it as I tend to do LIVE threads, want to be in easy contact with my dogs’ care giver, watch accounts, emails, etc. But if all you want to do is check emails and accounts every few days, then probably not.  Just be cautious where you choose to check them in ports.

Glad I found this thread.  I’m scheduled for a TA in October AMS to FLL but it will coincide with the last couple weeks of a Zoom class I will be taking that starts in September.

With the time difference I wouldn’t be logging on until probably around 1130pm.  Do y’all think I’d be able to use the video feature then? Or maybe just stick with audio?  I’ll be on the new Rotterdam so I’m hoping the internet on it will be the most efficient.

Lastly, would it be worth it to buy the Premium package before sailing or just wait until I get onboard and see what they may be offering then?

If you have the Surf Internet package included in your booking, you can upgrade to Premium once onboard. If not, the Premium Internet package is offered at a discount if you book pre-cruise. The Social and Surf Internet packages are not available for pre-booking.

• Like 1

You will not know what the quality of the on board internet service is  or the speed vis a vis your expectations until you have logged on and given it a road test a few times.

I would think that it depends on what you are accustomed  to and what your service expectations are.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks everyone.  I do like to post and stay in touch with family since I'm a solo traveller.  I'm not a big fan of trying to find wifi in port since again solo + I have heard folks complain about security. 

The big issue is still the overall package thing that HAL is promoting - not a drinker, solo so am difficult to accommodate in the paid venue dining rooms.  I have a long time to worry about it so will decide later.  I'm spoiled because my last 5 cruises onboard the Aegean Odyssey came with free wifi.

Calm seas - Shar

1 hour ago, Ontariotrekker said:

Wow, thanks everyone.  I do like to post and stay in touch with family since I'm a solo traveller.  I'm not a big fan of trying to find wifi in port since again solo + I have heard folks complain about security. 

The big issue is still the overall package thing that HAL is promoting - not a drinker, solo so am difficult to accommodate in the paid venue dining rooms.  I have a long time to worry about it so will decide later.  I'm spoiled because my last 5 cruises onboard the Aegean Odyssey came with free wifi.

Calm seas - Shar

Shar, you don’t have to take the whole package if it doesn’t make sense.  Go for the best price if you are saving a ton of money and just buy the internet separately if you want it.

Log in to the HAL site and check the pricing for your cruise (I’m guessing you have done that already) and it will help you make your decision as to the value of the package.  

The drink package does include your coffees (fancy or Explorations), sodas, water, non alcoholic drinks, etc but if the math doesn’t work, drop the package and just buy internet if you want it.  JMO.

• Like 1

We've never purchased their internet. We both have iPhones with T-Mobile and once in port we can check email, surf the net, text, phone whatever. Our package w/T-Mobile supports us nicely in Europe (haven't checked elsewhere).

7 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

We've never purchased their internet. We both have iPhones with T-Mobile and once in port we can check email, surf the net, text, phone whatever. Our package w/T-Mobile supports us nicely in Europe (haven't checked elsewhere).

We get lots of free Internet on other cruise lines, but HAL does not offer any decent deals even for 5 Star Mariners.  So just like grsnovi, we have T-Mobile (which includes coverage in over 200 countries) and simply use our iPhone when we are in or near a port.  If we want to use our iPad or PC we simply set up our iPhone as a WiFi Hotspot (utilizing the phone connection).  Paying big bucks for the slow HAL Internet service just does not make a lot of sense for us.

Hank

We have used internet in bars, restaurants, street cafes hotel, B&B's, you name it, etc all over the world.  Europe, Asia, South and Central America, Australia.  In some very back of beyond places.  

We have yet to experience a security issue. 

We have had several  issues with our credit cards being hacked-always at home over the past 10 years, O for security hacks while travelling.  Ever.  We are, however, very careful about how we set up our banking accounts while on extended travels.

I have no idea what the internet will be like on your ship.  Our experience across several lines is that it is highly variable but never stellar.   But who knows, perhaps the technology will have been updated or perhaps the cruise line will have increased its service level agreement with their provider by the time you sail.

Either way, we absolutely agree.  We would never consider paying big dollars for slow internet service on any cruise line.  Nor would we ever buy a package in advance or buy an expensive package on board without first testing the performance with a very low cost package once on board.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I have AT&T and they have a good package for travelling overseas.  I have also used my phone as a hotspot here in the States.  Not sure about using it as a hotspot for an hour long Zoom, even with just audio, at sea.  I may have to resort to the ship’s service.  

• Thanks 1