LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

5 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

What are fleece pants?  I grew up in PA but have lived in FL since 1961 and I don't recall wearing anything heavier than jeans even when weather was below 0.  We hunted deer in PA, GA, and FL and at times it was close to 0 so on those days we wore silk long underwear and silk sock liners under our camo or jeans.  I was planning to take my silks and jeans.  Also was planning to take a vest I wore when in Alaska.  I gave away my rain clothes but still have golf rain pants.  Do I really need to buy warmer clothes?

I have fleece Lined leggings that I run in during the winter. Not super thick and leg pocket to stash stuff.  I wore them a lot on the cruise.  They fit well under rain pants if needed or just alone to hike in. I even ran in them one day. I didn’t find them hot at all.  We had one warmer day and I was fine in them and a long sleeve tee when it warmed up.  The weather is variable we had 46 - 50 degrees with over 25 mph winds on hike yesterday and another day sunny and upper 60s. Another day around 50 and rain.  If you’re gonna hike near the falls (like goldfoss) the mist was strong for us - I don’t know if this is normal…

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

What are fleece pants?  I grew up in PA but have lived in FL since 1961 and I don't recall wearing anything heavier than jeans even when weather was below 0.  We hunted deer in PA, GA, and FL and at times it was close to 0 so on those days we wore silk long underwear and silk sock liners under our camo or jeans.  I was planning to take my silks and jeans.  Also was planning to take a vest I wore when in Alaska.  I gave away my rain clothes but still have golf rain pants.  Do I really need to buy warmer clothes?

The issue with jeans is they get easily soaked in the rain-and are maybe bulkier under rain pants.  
But, take it with a grain of salt as I haven’t been there.

1 hour ago, patchicago said:

I was looking at the CVS website about their COVID-19 testing and just discovered that the test is self administered. I don’t know if I can successfully test myself! I’m afraid that once the swab makes me feel uncomfortable I won’t go as far up as necessary or keep it in my nasal passage as long as necessary. Rats! I think I need to find an alternate testing option.

I had a Covid test done last year when I had some symptoms.  (Luckily I tested negative.) The nasal PCR test really wasn't bad.  There seemed to be some hysteria about it back then, but I didn't find it anything other than a new sensation that didn't last long.  Several friends said the same thing.

I think Walgreens does self-administered tests, too, unless what's on their website only applies to drive up testing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiClaire said:

Honestly, its not that bad. As long as the swab makes your nose tickle and your eyes water a bit, you're good!  I have to do them for work and I've got really used to it. 

Remember to clear your nasal passages first by blowing your nose. Then have the test.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, id4elizabeth said:

It was 79 F degrees in Akureyri today.  No AC in our bus.  Bring shorts and T-shirts.

let us know when you post on your blog....what excursion are you on now

4 minutes ago, id4elizabeth said:

It was 79 F degrees in Akureyri today.  No AC in our bus.  Bring shorts and T-shirts.

what excursion are you taking and can you review

also let us know when you start you riceland blog 

On Jupiter, we carried the trackers in pur pockets or bags the entire time. Not visible; not a problem.

I thought that I was bringing too mny warm clothes... ah nope. I ended up buying a souvenier Icewear jacket and extra fleece. I had shorts and short sleeves that did not get worn. The pessimistic forecast turned out to be spot on.

For dinner every night I wore black leggings and a black (nice) heavy jersey jacket, with black low sandals. Just switched out the tops every night. I was comfortable, not cold or too warm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After a long day driving the Golden Circle, just got to our room at the Hilton Nordica... I  can see the beautiful Jupiter from our window full of new passengers ready for adventure! 🤗

Have a fun cruise!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

It depends on how you use your phone. If you make a few calls and photograph the sites, the charge on your phone should be good enough.

I use my camera and then WiFi certain photos to my phone to upload to FB. Today camera wad down to 37% when we returned from a seven hour excursion. My phone is still at 54% writing this.

I do start the day with everything at 100% and carry an extra camera battery.

Thank you! That helps 😁

2 hours ago, id4elizabeth said:

We’re you on bus 18? No AC on our bus. Fortunately I had on a t shirt and lighter weight long pants. It was pretty warm but beautiful and I really enjoyed the tour. The spray from the waterfall felt terrific.  

5 hours ago, patchicago said:

I was looking at the CVS website about their COVID-19 testing and just discovered that the test is self administered. I don’t know if I can successfully test myself! I’m afraid that once the swab makes me feel uncomfortable I won’t go as far up as necessary or keep it in my nasal passage as long as necessary. Rats! I think I need to find an alternate testing option.

The self administered CVS test I took used a swab like qtip that you didn’t need to insert as far- both nostrils.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

The self administered CVS test I took used a swab like qtip that you didn’t need to insert as far- both nostrils.

Thanks. I’m hoping that it’s not as bad as a fear but with the encouragement that I have received I know I can do this. If I screw the test up I’ll just have to pay for the fast test at the airport.If I screw the test up I’ll just have to pay for the fast test at the airport.

• Like 1

We we sat out on the balcony with drinks tonight to watch the sun set at 11:30 pm. It was beautiful. Our weather has been stupendous. Yesterday we loved our  Vigur Island tour. Felicity Aston who leads the tour is marvelous. We saw hundreds of puffins, nesting eider ducks and arctic terns. One of the best cruise tours I’ve ever taken. 

The only time we’ve used our rain pants was at the Heart of the Glacier tour because there is lots of melting dripping ice inside the glacier. Outside the glacier interior the weather was great. 

This afternoon we were talking to an Indonesian bar staff member telling him how much we enjoyed Indonesian food when we visited there several years ago. We said we thought there should be some Indonesian dishes on the menu since there were so many Indonesian staff members - they’d know how to make the authentic dishes. He pulled the head chef over and said that we should tell him. We thought he meant we should just make sure it would be good to add to the menu. The chef immediately asked if we would be in the Restaurant tonight. We said yes and he said to tell the wait staff that we wanted Nasi Goreng and the  Satheesh (the head chef) would take care of it. So we had Nasi Goring and Satay tonight for dinner, excellently seasoned. I felt like I was back in Jogjakarta. What personalized service. Why is this only a one week cruise????

• Like 14

7 hours ago, patchicago said:

Does anybody know if Covid home test kits are acceptable (i.e. rapid antigen home test?)  Has anybody at all tried to use them for entry to Iceland? I was researching on the CDC website and this is what it says:

Does a self-test meet the conditions of the Order?

International air passengers traveling to the United States can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details. The passenger must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.

Is this mainly just for travel back to the US? I saw that Delta had an affiliation with Ellume/Azova to do home testing + video verification for $50/kit. United and American also had a kit approved for EUA. The Iceland Ministry of Health only said PCR/rapid antigen test so I'm assuming this qualifies? I am just scared to try it and find out later (at the airport) that it is not accepted for travel to Iceland. Thoughts, anyone?

https://news.delta.com/new-rapid-covid-testing-options-coming-delta-purchase-and-pack-smooth-us-re-entry

Our 8/3 cruise is fast approaching and I am trying to finalize our touring plans. Could anyone provide feedback on the following tours

Isafjordur & Bolungavik Village Tour

Seydisfjordur on Foot Tour

Beluga Whale Center & Bay by Boat Tour

Heimaey on Foot Tour

Wildlife of Heimaey by Boat

Am considering replacing Beluga Whale Center with Wildlife of Heimaey by boat and cancelling the ships tours  If I do, we will tour Seydisfjordur and Heimaey on our own and enjoy ship in place of Isafjordur tour. Will I miss much if I do?

Edited by bardstowntraveller
  • Like 1

Isafjordur & Bolungavik Village Tour was delightful.  Started with drive to the Village and a stop at a historical fishing exhibit. The period clad fisherman described his way of life. Then a visit to the local waterfall on the other side of town in their “forest”, and a small taste of the water straight from the falls!  Our guide was delightful -  Robin who hails from Alaska!

Godafoss was amazing but the heat just drained everyone. Our bus had at least a modicum of cooling but we WAAAY overdressed. Get a midge hat as they are starting to make their presence known. 

Peace as we leave for a walk about Seydisfjordur!

Edited by VolTravler
Spelling
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Our 8/3 cruise is fast approaching and I am trying to finalize our touring plans. Could anyone provide feedback on the following tours

Heimaey on Foot Tour

Am considering replacing Beluga Whale Center with Wildlife of Heimaey by boat and cancelling the ships tours  If I do, we will tour Seydisfjordur and Heimaey on our own and enjoy ship in place of Isafjordur tour. Will I miss much if I do?

We are doing exactly that - we cancelled the whale centre because its right in the middle of town and you can walk and do it on your own.  We are going the included bus tour and the Heimay by boat in the afternoon, leaving the morning free to see the town and visit the whale centre. We will probably take a packed lunch from the ship with us. 

2 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Heimaey on Foot Tour

Before you cancel the Belugas, make sure there's room on Wildlife of Heimaey By Boat. I'm on Jupiter 8/3 and it has been full now for a long time. You may need to ask about that excursion when you get onboard. But people seem to love it, although I haven't seen anyone report great puffin sightings.  

I have some questions if anyone is able/willing to comment: 

What's the phone number on JUPITER?  It will be on the back of your room key & on Viking Daily.  I'm trying to finish my notes.

Who is the Cruise Director on Jupiter?

Did anyone take the Through the Lens excursion from Reykjavik?  Did you have a photographer/guide named "Sig" for it?  If so, do you know who leads the other time slot for this excursion?  

Would love feedback for these excursions:

--Panoramic Scenic  & Wartime Museum in Seydisfjordur (no info so far)

--Nature of Djupivogur & Berufjordur Fjord in Djupivogur (one person reported not great)

If anyone not on an excursion in Heimaey tendered in, were you able to get on a tender relatively early, or was there no room on the tenders in the morning because of the large number of people on excursions who needed to go early?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

10 hours ago, IheartNYC said:

Does anybody know if Covid home test kits are acceptable (i.e. rapid antigen home test?)  Has anybody at all tried to use them for entry to Iceland? I was researching on the CDC website and this is what it says:

Does a self-test meet the conditions of the Order?

International air passengers traveling to the United States can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details. The passenger must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.

Is this mainly just for travel back to the US? I saw that Delta had an affiliation with Ellume/Azova to do home testing + video verification for $50/kit. United and American also had a kit approved for EUA. The Iceland Ministry of Health only said PCR/rapid antigen test so I'm assuming this qualifies? I am just scared to try it and find out later (at the airport) that it is not accepted for travel to Iceland. Thoughts, anyone?

https://news.delta.com/new-rapid-covid-testing-options-coming-delta-purchase-and-pack-smooth-us-re-entry

This was shared by a member of an Iceland Facebook group. Hope this helps a little. Maybe a live-chat would provide an answer for you as well? We are traveling two hours to get our rapid test done. The Azova test would be easier by far! 

Here is the answer from live-chat of covid.is:

## Mál þitt hefur verið leyst! ##

new border rule  

Lilja

Tue, 07/20/21 11:26 pm 

Changes to border control measures that take effect at 00:00 on Tuesday 27 July, ie. on the eve of Tuesday;

All vaccinated persons and those that can present a certificate of a prior COVID-19 infection must present a negative PCR or antigen (rapid) test that is no more than 72 hours old before departure to Iceland.

-According to the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), antigen tests should have a sensitivity of ≥80% and a specificity of ≥97%.

-Furthermore, residents of Iceland and others that have widespread social ties in the country are encouraged to get tested as soon as possible after arriving in Iceland, even though they are asymptomatic. If you can´t get tested at KEF airport after landing, then you can order a test trough the live chat on heilsuvera.is or call 1700.

COVID-19 infections have risen considerably in Iceland recently. Most infections are of the Delta variant. According to research, fully vaccinated individuals can get infected by COVID-19 and can infect others. The Chief Epidemiologist believes that unchanged measures will increase the risk of the virus spreading and therefore action must be taken to halt the spread and avoid domestic restrictions on gatherings.

*Non vaccinated individuals (or 1/2 vaccine) will continue to be required to present negative PCR test results no more than 72 hours old and undergo double PCR screening with a five-day quarantine in between.

**Children born in 2005 or later will continue to be exempted from all border measures.

31 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Before you cancel the Belugas, make sure there's room on Wildlife of Heimaey By Boat. I'm on Jupiter 8/3 and it has been full now for a long time. You may need to ask about that excursion when you get onboard. But people seem to love it, although I haven't seen anyone report great puffin sightings.  

We are on same cruise. The Wildlife of Heimaey tour now has openings for almost all time slots. I cancelled the Beluga Whales tour and switched

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Heimaey on Foot Tour

Check the hours at the whale center. They list quite a few times as closed for private tours and list closed Mondays, except for private tours. 

9 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

We are on same cruise. The Wildlife of Heimaey tour now has openings for almost all time slots. I cancelled the Beluga Whales tour and switched

I was on the 7/13 Jupiter. The wildlife boat was available when we boarded, however it was cancelled the night before the tour because of “mechanical reasons”. We tried to go to the Beluga whale center on our own but it was as closed that day. I don’t know if it was open to those that booked the tour. During the shore excursion talk the day before they said the Beluga whale boat would also not be running.  If you’re trying to find puffins, besides Vigur Island, we saw them on the Skalanes bus tour. They were nestled in the cliffs at the end of the walk. Our guide said she never tells people they will see them because they aren’t always there. It was VERY windy both at Vigur island and on this tour. Puffin sighting is better on those days because they don’t like to fly in the wind. Uncomfortable for tourists, but great for puffin viewing!

• Like 2