LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

4 hours ago, patchicago said:

I fly out of O’Hare on a Monday night so need a pcr test late Friday at the earliest. No testing facilities are open that late so scheduled test for 10 am Saturday at CVS. Their website says results back in 1-2 days. If I don’t get results back by Monday afternoon I can get an antigen test at the airport (results in 20 minutes) for $120. Let’s hope that Iceland doesn’t change their requirements to exclude the rapid test.

This is our plan also. Rapid test backup plan!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Let me know if you need more!  I was telling hubby this morning that I didn’t need a few things I brought.  I brought a pair of heels, stylish boots and nicer slacks.  Didn’t need.  Remember laundromat is free and very easy to use. Detergent included.  Bring dryer sheets for static. 

You didn’t need dress slacks? What did you wear to dinner? I’m a newbie. Don’t want to over or under dress!

See this was answered. Thanks!

Edited by Jaea
  • Like 1

Quick update for Viking Sky in Akureyi today. We just returned from the Northern Iceland's Natural Treasures excursion and I noticed conversation on clothing. It is 80 degrees F. here today. This part of Iceland is known for being warmer. I actually shed my long sleeve shirt at Godafoss about 9:15 this morning. Never had a jacket on today. It was even warmer at Dimmuborgir.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Quick update for Viking Sky in Akureyi today. We just returned from the Northern Iceland's Natural Treasures excursion and I noticed conversation on clothing. It is 80 degrees F. here today. This part of Iceland is known for being warmer. I actually shed my long sleeve shirt at Godafoss about 9:15 this morning. Never had a jacket on today. It was even warmer at Dimmuborgir.

Was Godafoss as awesome as advertised? Any negatives?

Quick question - Have any of you on the cruise found that an external charger is adequate to keep a cell phone charged on one of the full day excursions? (Not sure this would impact battery use but I will have a T-Mobile international pass.) Thanks!

2 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

At home I use a dye free no scent detergent for sensitive skin. Can the washing machines be run without adding the detergent if we just want to rinse things out. And for those that have used the detergent does it leave your clothes with a strong floral smell?  Thanks

Yes - as I found out the first time I did laundry and didn't realise you had press a button for detergent!

29 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Please share impressions of both the trip and the sightd.

10 minutes ago, Jaea said:

Current travelers: Are you finding the weather reports for a few days out fairly inaccurate? For example, was Sunday’s forecast for Tuesday way off?

We found the forecasts generally to be more pessimistic than what actually happened. This included the ones shown on the daily each evening. Layers and be prepared for the weather to change are the important things to keep in mind. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jaea said:

Was Godafoss as awesome as advertised? Any negatives?

Both Guilfoss and Godafoss beat what I have in town on the South River.  😊   I was more impressed with Guilfoss. But Godafoss has the legend. 

Guilfoss

1134519683_DSC076232.thumb.JPG.bde030b748b9db7cdcd930dec93988c9.JPG

Godafoss

1288025433_DSC079112.thumb.JPG.dcd6528fa4a0e5f140260cd1b9c22fa2.JPG

• Like 4

On 7/17/2021 at 7:54 PM, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Question on the contract tracing devices.  Are we required to wear them around our neck on the lanyard, or can they be clipped to a belt or jacket zipper instead?

As long as they're visible you can wear them how you like. 

4 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Let me know if you need more!  I was telling hubby this morning that I didn’t need a few things I brought.  I brought a pair of heels, stylish boots and nicer slacks.  Didn’t need.  Remember laundromat is free and very easy to use. Detergent included.  Bring dryer sheets for static. 

They ask you not to use dryer sheets. They can clog up the lint screens plus some of us have allergies 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, patchicago said:

I fly out of O’Hare on a Monday night so need a pcr test late Friday at the earliest. No testing facilities are open that late so scheduled test for 10 am Saturday at CVS. Their website says results back in 1-2 days. If I don’t get results back by Monday afternoon I can get an antigen test at the airport (results in 20 minutes) for $120. Let’s hope that Iceland doesn’t change their requirements to exclude the rapid test.

I was looking at the CVS website about their COVID-19 testing and just discovered that the test is self administered. I don’t know if I can successfully test myself! I’m afraid that once the swab makes me feel uncomfortable I won’t go as far up as necessary or keep it in my nasal passage as long as necessary. Rats! I think I need to find an alternate testing option.

3 hours ago, Snit13 said:

What would you recommend for evening shipboard wear? 

Always a tough question. My answers is:  your vacation, your suitcase, your choice. Every sailing has a different vibe. Within the guidelines set by Viking (spelled out in the Viking FAQ), you can dress any way you want. If you like to dress up for dinner, do it. If you prefer to be more casual, do it.  The only thing you need to think about is the inside temperature: are you always too cold, too warm or just right in air conditioning?

1 hour ago, CatefromNH said:

Quick question - Have any of you on the cruise found that an external charger is adequate to keep a cell phone charged on one of the full day excursions? (Not sure this would impact battery use but I will have a T-Mobile international pass.) Thanks!

It depends on how you use your phone. If you make a few calls and photograph the sites, the charge on your phone should be good enough.

I use my camera and then WiFi certain photos to my phone to upload to FB. Today camera wad down to 37% when we returned from a seven hour excursion. My phone is still at 54% writing this.

I do start the day with everything at 100% and carry an extra camera battery.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, patchicago said:

I don’t know if I can successfully test myself!

I am a wimp. If I can do it, so can you -- and it really is much better than letting someone else do it.

We tested when we came home, just to make our children feel better. They do it at the drive thru. The pharmacy tech manning the window patiently walked us through step by step.

I tested on Friday lunch and had results by Saturday dinner. The results came to my cell phone, with the ability to download a pdf to my cell.

CVS offered two types of tests with the reminded to make sure that the test you choose will be accepted at your destination.

34 minutes ago, patchicago said:

I was looking at the CVS website about their COVID-19 testing and just discovered that the test is self administered. I don’t know if I can successfully test myself! I’m afraid that once the swab makes me feel uncomfortable I won’t go as far up as necessary or keep it in my nasal passage as long as necessary. Rats! I think I need to find an alternate testing option.

Honestly, its not that bad. As long as the swab makes your nose tickle and your eyes water a bit, you're good!  I have to do them for work and I've got really used to it. 

Edited by KiwiClaire

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I am a wimp. If I can do it, so can you -- and it really is much better than letting someone else do it.

3 minutes ago, KiwiClaire said:

Honestly, its not that bad. As long as the swab makes your nose tickle you're good!  I have to do them for work and I've got really used to it. 

Thank you both very much for the encouragement. I really want to go to Iceland so I can do this. I can do this!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, KiwiClaire said:

As long as they're visible you can wear them how you like. 

Curious...is that what you were told?   I just ask because our experience very recently on our Bermuda cruise was different.  Yes, we had wear our contact tracing devices all the time but we never wore them in plain sight.  Usually in a pocket or bag.  Never had an issue - no one ever said anything to us.     🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Triptkr said:

Curious...is that what you were told?   I just ask because our experience very recently on our Bermuda cruise was different.  Yes, we had wear our contact tracing devices all the time but we never wore them in plain sight.  Usually in a pocket or bag.  Never had an issue - no one ever said anything to us.     🙂

Interesting. Well I'm only referring to our UK cruises, but if the staff can't see them, how do they know you're wearing them is the idea.....  we were definitely told they had to be visible on the ship, outside your room. Obv not on tours, or in the pool!! 

Just now, KiwiClaire said:

Interesting. Well I'm only referring to our UK cruises, but if the staff can't see them, how do they know you're wearing them is the idea.....  we were definitely told they had to be visible on the ship, outside your room. Obv not on tours, or in the pool!! 

Well, maybe it was mentioned and I didn't listen very well.🤪     

We usually unclipped them and put them in a pocket, didn't like wearing them around our necks.  I hear you for the reasoning of "if they can't see it on you, then how do they know if you're wearing it"...    I guess I figured that maybe at any time they (Viking employees) could log onto the system that does that contact tracing and see if you are wearing them as you should or not.  Also, I would have been very happy to pull the device out of my pocket if they ever wanted to double check I had it on myself.   

Ah well...I'll have to listen better on our next cruise.     🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

I wore ankle pants and light sweater or blouse most evenings with flats. It wasn’t super cold inside ship. 

What are fleece pants?  I grew up in PA but have lived in FL since 1961 and I don't recall wearing anything heavier than jeans even when weather was below 0.  We hunted deer in PA, GA, and FL and at times it was close to 0 so on those days we wore silk long underwear and silk sock liners under our camo or jeans.  I was planning to take my silks and jeans.  Also was planning to take a vest I wore when in Alaska.  I gave away my rain clothes but still have golf rain pants.  Do I really need to buy warmer clothes?