LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 minute ago, BarbRN said:

From United Air

74204630-784F-4F89-9198-2B09A792E230.png

Effective with arrivals on 27 July 2021, all passengers will need to be in possession of a negative pre-departure COVID test regardless of vaccination or recovery status. 

• Thanks 1

Amazing. Iceland Air says PCR and Rapid acceptable for vaccinated/recovered with documentation. I note that there is a click through highlighted in blue in your post. More information there?

6 hours ago, BarbRN said:

For all those who have already done it, I was able to finally get my VeriFLY  done after several attempts but how does the information get to Viking they have not said anything yet about it.

I had an issue with verify. Viking will call you if they don’t get the info from Verifly within a few days after they sent you the email. You can always call customer service and they’ll tell you if they have gotten it. I found them very helpful!

• Thanks 1

just received a Viking email with the following at the top in red:

Viking is committed to ensuring that you will be able to travel safely to your destination and join your cruise without incident. As travel requirements change frequently, we recommend you take a COVID-19 PCR (polymerase chain reaction, nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) test no more than 72 hours before boarding your flight to Iceland.

If a PCR test is not available, an antigen test will be accepted by Iceland.

As of July 27, fully vaccinated travelers must present a negative PCR (polymerase chain reaction, nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) or antigen (rapid) test that is taken no more than 72 hours before boarding your flight to Iceland.

2 hours ago, Jaea said:

For those doing a post stay or have a later flight.. At debarkation, is there a shuttle from the cruise ship to Reykjavik? How are you getting from the cruise terminal to downtown?

I don't believe there is a shuttle to downtown Reykjavik on debarkation day. We had a late flight, 5:05 pm, and had purchased Viking Air with transfers, so when we left the Jupiter on the 20th we were taken to Perlan Museum by bus at 7:45. You claim your luggage, bring it to the bus for loading, and then you're off to the museum. There's a space on the 5th floor where Viking had arranged coffee or tea, "one sweet bite," and soup and bread. We left for the airport at 2:00. You could visit the museum (20% discount) or just relax on the 5th floor. Obviously this doesn't apply for those doing a post stay.

Viking’s most current email, received a few minutes ago:

22JUL2021

Viking is committed to ensuring that you will be able to travel safely to your destination and join your cruise without incident. As travel requirements change frequently, we recommend you take a COVID-19 PCR (polymerase chain reaction, nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) test no more than 72 hoursbefore boarding your flight to Iceland.

If a PCR test is not available, an antigen test will be accepted by Iceland.

As of July 27, fully vaccinated travelers must present a negative PCR (polymerase chain reaction, nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) or antigen (rapid) test that is taken no more than 72 hours before boarding your flight to Iceland.

3 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I called Viking this afternoon and they told me it had to be the PCR test not antigen test.  Wonder who knows the correct answer.

Iceland government will allow either Antigen or PCR for entry.  However, Viking is requiring PCR.   Since you will be traveling with Viking, you would need the PCR.  That is from the information Viking sent 3 hours ago. 

Although we arrive on the 24th in Iceland, we decided to do a Covid test today.  Went to Walgreens drive-up at 4:30 pm- and did the self administered nasal swab for the antigen test while sitting in the car.  The results came in an e-mail at 6:46 pm.  It was free.  Good!!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, KD34 said:

@Snit13, look at Patchicago post.  Hers seems to be more recent.  Either test would be accepted. 👏

Yes, we got same email - dated today (July 22).  Basically, we're to get PCR if possible, antigen if not, and Iceland will accept both (assuming you're fully vaccinated).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AKexplorer said:

SNIT13 - evidently a Rapid Test is ok if it is a certain type. What the new directions say are:

image.thumb.png.3601be90bd694a08b0f266b05eeb4b96.png

So all of these new changes are very confusing. I plan to get tested on the Saturday prior to my Monday departure. Walgreens told me there is no copay with insurance so either test will do.

Viking has already revised this so an antigen test is okay. Hopefully the antigen test will continue to be okay. We would have to travel about 8 hours round trip to get a PCR test in the 72 hour window. 
Revision 1 - “If a PCR Test is not available, an antigen test will be accepted by Iceland.
As of July 27, fully vaccinated travelers must present a negative PCR (polymerase chain reaction, nasopharyngeal/nasal swab) or antigen (rapid) test that is taken no more than 72 hours before boarding your flight to Iceland.”

• Like 3

The weather is not cooperating with rain at Heimaey for the Viking Sky today. We arrived on time even after leaving Dyupivogur late. The swells are too high to tender safely and the captain even checked an alternate anchorage to no avail.

So we are proceeding directly to Reykjavik where Viking has arranged shuttle buses to the city. Sue and I were really looking forward to our day on  Heimaey as we were doing the ATV excursion!

Jack

0723210858.thumb.jpg.cb7958ffd835a71d60ba612b25d728ce.jpg

0723210856a.thumb.jpg.7f6bfbfd0faebef3736986e724d1f611.jpg

0723210858a.thumb.jpg.8e85c3085ac0f0fbc76ffa4615f5cc6b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

The weather is not cooperating with rain at Heimaey for the Viking Sky today. We arrived on time even after leaving Dyupivogur late. The swells are too high to tender safely and the captain even checked an alternate anchorage to no avail.

So we are proceeding directly to Reykjavik where Viking has arranged shuttle buses to the city. Sue and I were really looking forward to our day on  Heimaey as we were doing the ATV excursion!

Jack

Aw, sorry to hear it. Looks nasty too. I have read that the south coast is most susceptible to storms and bad weather.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Jack

Right you are.  Could barely see the islands.  We are happy it cancelled and we get to have a sea day.  Saw the tour boat for Wildlife of Heimaey and really glad we are not taking it in these conditions.

• Like 2

I have to agree. We were to take the wildlife boat in Heimaey too and the conditions were going to be rough. Usually when we book a cruise, we try to have the last day as a sea day so we’re more than happy to stay on the nice dry ship. We just went downstairs and asked for several different crossword puzzles. One of our favorite activities on board is completing a crossword while drinking  a Viking Royal or a mimosa. That and an afternoon lecture about World War II should keep us busy. 

We are just so thankful for all the beautiful weather we did enjoy on this trip. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, kate7047 said:

Aw, sorry to hear it. Looks nasty too. I have read that the south coast is most susceptible to storms and bad weather.

July 10-Sky

That is apparently the case. The only rough seas we had during our week aboard were on the day/evening we bypassed Heimaey and sailed directly to Reykjavik. I had figured it would be rougher in the north🤪

13 hours ago, BarbRN said:

Effective with arrivals on 27 July 2021, all passengers will need to be in possession of a negative pre-departure COVID test regardless of vaccination or recovery status. 

For those who will be traveling from US to other countries, be careful about the differences between PCR and Rapid PCR tests versus Rapid antigen and antibody tests. Please follow the airline's directions to perform either a PCR or a Rapid PCR test if that is needed. The airline agents at the terminal may not let you on the plane if you have done the wrong test. I saw a lot of folks rushing over to JFK Terminal 1 to pay US$220 to get a last minute test done.

Secondly, please make sure that the name in the test report is exactly the same as the name in your passport. Some US lab may skip the middle name or list only the middle initial. That could be a no no.

Finally, requiring the test done 72 hours before the departure time of your flight is firm for leaving US to your destination. For example, if your direct flight to Iceland is 12 pm Friday, the test has to be done on or after 12pm Tuesday. If your initial flight departs at 8am and your connecting flight is at 12pm Friday, getting the test done before 12pm Tuesday will exceed the 72 hours restriction. On returning to US, the requirement is 3 days that is less stringent than 72 hours.

Please check. We had great weather and a great voyage until today. We are skipping Heimaey due to bad weather and are going directly to Reykjavik.

Wishing you all a wonderful voyage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AKexplorer said:

SNIT13 - evidently a Rapid Test is ok if it is a certain type. What the new directions say are:

image.thumb.png.3601be90bd694a08b0f266b05eeb4b96.png

So all of these new changes are very confusing. I plan to get tested on the Saturday prior to my Monday departure. Walgreens told me there is no copay with insurance so either test will do.

Would be nice if Viking informed their agents of these rules.  If I am reading correctly it does say it cannot be the ANTIGEN or ANTIBODY TEST.  Where did you find these new directions?  Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Right you are.  Could barely see the islands.  We are happy it cancelled and we get to have a sea day.  Saw the tour boat for Wildlife of Heimaey and really glad we are not taking it in these conditions.

Looks like a duvet day to me..  Oh dear I will hate that sort of weather..J

9 minutes ago, BrynMawrPA said:

Finally, requiring the test done 72 hours before the departure time of your flight is firm for leaving US to your destination

Check the requirements carefully. Some countries require the test to be administered 72 hours before arrival in country, not departure. Your results could be invalid for entry if you take the test too early.

Tom

• Like 1