LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

The Verifly app did not accept my husband's card because the type of the second dose was not included on the card.  I printed his record from MyChart which included all details and then took a picture of his card next to the MyChart data.  It was accepted immediately.

6 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

PCR tests results all take up to 72 hours after calling 3 places. The lab wants $75 each and no guarantee. 

Many airports are doing test on site.  check with the airport you are leaving from.  We got results back in Seattle in less than 2 hours

13 minutes ago, Mizzou70 said:

The Verifly app did not accept my husband's card because the type of the second dose was not included on the card.  I printed his record from MyChart which included all details and then took a picture of his card next to the MyChart data.  It was accepted immediately.

Good job

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, carld said:

I have a question about downloading your vaccination information to Verifly.  On my CDC vaccination card it shows my name and the dates of my 2 Moderna shots on the front of the CDC card.  On my wife's card it shows the first shot information on the front of the card and the second shot information on the back of the card.  If I try to download a photo of her card it will only show one shot unless I can download 2 photos (front and back of the card).  Has anyone else had this situation and is it a potential problem? 

OK, I'm not in your situation, but I did my and my spouse's VeriFLY stuff this afternoon.  I didn't see a way to take two pictures of a vax card, i.e., both sides of the card.  But I think if you can make a copy of one side of the card, then put the other side of the card below it, and use the app and the phone camera to take a picture, the app will likely accept that. I would think that would be cumbersome but doable and acceptable. The app does send back a note first saying acceptance is pending, then later that it was accepted.  Then the info is sent to Viking.

Another alternative might be asking if the place which did your vax could give your spouse another card, or if there's a way to get another record of it. Where I live there's a databank, but I doubt all states have that.

I had trouble taking a selfie on the app...was told I was too close, too far, poor light, not centered, lots of glare, lots of red flashing circles...annoying but eventually the app accepted my selfie. The rest was relatively straight forward, though I probably spent close to an hour fiddling with it for both of us. 

I've also read that if necessary, you can present your card to Viking to be cleared. But doing it on VeriFly will get us all on the ship faster! 

Good luck.

Oh, and don't have Verifly pulled up on another device at same time. That can cause problems.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
Typos, of course.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:10 PM, Camden lady said:

Thanks for that info.  I have found a place that will do the PCR test but I don't know when to set it up until I know which leg of my flight to use.  Plus the cost is $150.  Wish they would accept the antigen test as that is much cheaper and quicker.   Oh well...guess I will do the PCR just to be sure I can get on the cruise.  

Walgreens does them at not charge.

7 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I had trouble taking a selfie on the app...was told I was too close, too far, poor light, not centered, lots of glare, lots of red flashing circles.

I had my wife take a picture of me with my iPad and then I used VeriFLY to photograph that picture. Much easier to  make VeriFLY happy that way. Doesn’t have to be a selfie.

Tom

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

I went there today. No guarantee might take 72 hours

Seriously, "VERIFY" is not your problem. The 72 hours PCR test is.

-  You can do the verification at embarkation as Camden Lady found out from Viking. It is a Viking thing.

-  Check if there is any urgent care clinic near you that will perform "PCR test for travel". They could give you the result within 24 hour. But the tests will not be covered by Medicare or insurance.  While Medicare or insurance will cover PCR tests done at CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreen, these chain stores will not guarantee a quick turn around time.

-  PCR tests done at the JFK airport Terminal 1 would produce the result within an hour but it costs $220. But if you cannot get on the plane without it, you will pay for it. Please make sure that you have couple hours layover at JFK to take the loop train to T1, stand in line, do the test, wait for the results and then take the train back to the airline counter to check in. If your last US airport is not JFK, you may want to check if it has a similar testing lab on site.

- The United Airline agent will inspect your CDC card. As long as you have both shots listed in the card (front/back/one front one back), you would be good to go. The Iceland folks will look at it too but they are more focus on the preregistration bar code.

- The airline agent will check the 72 hours limit since the airline is responsible to fly you back if the destination will not let you in. Additionally, some destinations would penalize the airline with a 14 day no fly penalty.

- Please make sure the name on your test report matches the name on your traveling document (really).

It is like driving 70mph in a 55mph zone. Most cops will not pull you over. But if one does, all you have to do is to pay the speed ticket fine. But if a similar event happens before this 8 day cruise, you will miss the boat for a day or two and, trust me, you will be miserable. I have seen this happen.

Just trying to help. Wish you all a smooth and safe trip with great Icelandic weather.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BarbRN said:

PCR tests results all take up to 72 hours after calling 3 places. The lab wants $75 each and no guarantee. 

Barb,

I think I must have missed some of the discussion along the way, but why not just get the rapid antigen test?  It’s clearly allowed by Iceland.  And I assume you’re headed to Iceland based on the topic of this thread.

Is it because the United Airlines “Travel-Ready Center” currently says PCR test is needed?

If you’re worried about the language on the United web site, I feel confident that United’s site will soon catch up to match the Iceland requirements.  We’re flying on UA from ORD to KEF on August 6 and have appointments for the rapid test at CVS the day before.

I’ve been flying United for work for 35 years.  If the website isn’t corrected in a week, I’ll call United.  But I doubt I’ll need to.

If I’ve misunderstood what your concern is, feel free to set me straight.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 6:12 PM, Snit13 said:

I called Viking this afternoon and they told me it had to be the PCR test not antigen test.  Wonder who knows the correct answer.

Iceland knows. It's their rules so check their website. https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/vaccination-and-antibodies

• Like 4

What I got from Viking, emailed and specific to my cruise, was clear.  Viking recommends PCR but if it's not available, Iceland will accept antigen. Because Iceland accepts antigen, Icelandair accepts antigen.  PCR testing in a decent timeframe is available for me, so I'm getting it. Others will find something different in their location/situation so they will get antigen.  Hopefully we'll all end up getting and enjoying Iceland, and it will be worth the uncertainty and the extra work!  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

Barb,

I think I must have missed some of the discussion along the way, but why not just get the rapid antigen test?  It’s clearly allowed by Iceland.  And I assume you’re headed to Iceland based on the topic of this thread.

Is it because the United Airlines “Travel-Ready Center” currently says PCR test is needed?

If you’re worried about the language on the United web site, I feel confident that United’s site will soon catch up to match the Iceland requirements.  We’re flying on UA from ORD to KEF on August 6 and have appointments for the rapid test at CVS the day before.

I’ve been flying United for work for 35 years.  If the website isn’t corrected in a week, I’ll call United.  But I doubt I’ll need to.

If I’ve misunderstood what your concern is, feel free to set me straight.

Jerry

Jerry. It’s Iceland we have to please. Not United. 

Just having checked in at United in Detroit, on way to Chicago for our flight to Iceland, we were asked for our PCR results.  You might not need it for Iceland but United, unfortunately, was our local gatekeeper.  Just sayin….

Someone asked about taxis waiting at the dock upon disembarking.   We disembarked at precisely 8:00 am and there were only about 3 taxis waiting for a crowd of about 50 passengers.  There were several Viking staff there calling every taxi company in Reykjavík to come to the pier.  It was well organized with one line for those of us who had not called ahead, and another area for those who had prearranged.   I noticed that some of the prearranged got into their taxis right away while others waited longer than we did.  We waited about 30 minutes for our turn.

3 hours ago, Sr Sailor said:

Just having checked in at United in Detroit, on way to Chicago for our flight to Iceland, we were asked for our PCR results.  You might not need it for Iceland but United, unfortunately, was our local gatekeeper.  Just sayin….

Interesting - since the requirement from Iceland doesn't start for 2 days.  United should not have required any test results unless you were unvaccinated.

• Like 2

Ask that Viking cruisers flying on United from Newark to Iceland after July 27th post their experience with what the airline representatives require to board, will they accept the antigen test or will they require the PCR test. Thank you.

27 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

Interesting - since the requirement from Iceland doesn't start for 2 days.  United should not have required any test results unless you were unvaccinated.

That’s why we changed our flights and left a day early.  Couldn’t get a straight answer out of United on Friday night or Saturday morning.  And even though the testing requirement for PCR or Antigen doesn’t go into effect until 7/27, United’s checking system said the PCR result was required.  Viking similarly misinterpreted the Icelandic requirements and then sent out the updated communication.  Thankfully, we had the results in preparation for their ignorance.

• Like 1

Just now, Sr Sailor said:

That’s why we changed our flights and left a day early.  Couldn’t get a straight answer out of United on Friday night or Saturday morning.  And even though the testing requirement for PCR or Antigen doesn’t go into effect until 7/27, United’s checking system said the PCR result was required.  Viking similarly misinterpreted the Icelandic requirements and then sent out the updated communication.  Thankfully, we had the results in preparation for their ignorance.

And we are fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sr Sailor said:

I'm not sure Viking misinterpreted the Icelandic requirements, early on or later.  But it's certainly clear they want us to get PCR if possible.  I'm doing that, as I don't want to have to worry about any little bugaboos later. 

Perhaps another thing to look at (as if we don't have enough already!!) is that not all airlines have the same rules about size and weight of acceptable (no charge) luggage. If you're on one carrier to Iceland and another coming back, you may want to check luggage requirements for each carrier. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Now I'm curious again.  Viking Star is now headed to Reykjavik, currently in the vicinity of the Shetland Islands.  She's expected to be in Reykjavik on Tuesday (27th) according to Marine Traffic.  Is she just keeping all the moveable parts on the ship moving, ferrying more packages, or what?  

Super interesting... will be following....

image.png.78f0e47b0503ced18e42da49d7c891c5.png