LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Mine was never visible (in my pocket) and no one said anything.

It's probably like carrying an electronic car starter (key) in your purse or pocket.  Nobody sees it, but it's communicating with your car when you get close!  I'm just planning to attach it to my own lanyard. I like to keep everything together.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:19 AM, WanderingBrit said:

That's a spectacularly expensive package.

I would guess that it's a second round of vaccines for the crew. It's definitely time, and it's not like they've been able to go ashore anywhere to get them on land. By bringing them by boat you can guarantee that proper conditions are maintained, and also avoid complicated immigration/customs rules by avoiding commercial shipping.

22 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

New COVID requirements for being out in public in Iceland have gone into effect. We ate at a restaurant in the Westfjords tonight. We needed reservations (no walkins), and had to sign in with name, passport number (or European ID number), and phone number. Social distancing and masks in buildings is required.

Pertaining to the new COVID requirements on land...did it feel any different than it did on the ship?  I was planning on wearing a mask in the stores that we would visit anyway but am wondering what you think.  

On 7/22/2021 at 3:14 AM, Doc who loves to travel said:

Reserve early!  We tried for appointments a few days into our cruise and couldn't get any.  Also if on Jupiter, reserve the explorer planetarium early.  

Just walk up to the planetarium when a film is showing and ask if you can join. There were always no-shows. Since it's free, people sign up casually.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

New COVID requirements for being out in public in Iceland have gone into effect. We ate at a restaurant in the Westfjords tonight. We needed reservations (no walkins), and had to sign in with name, passport number (or European ID number), and phone number. Social distancing and masks in buildings is required.

How did you hear about the new rules?

• Like 2

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the diesel smell when in the pool area behind Aquavit? Our balcony was aft and sometimes we smelled it on the balcony. That back pool deck would also have some black soot that I'm sure was frequently cleaned up.

Maybe it was just our weather patterns preventing the smoke from going up.

-- Ethan

11 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the diesel smell when in the pool area behind Aquavit? Our balcony was aft and sometimes we smelled it on the balcony. That back pool deck would also have some black soot that I'm sure was frequently cleaned up.

Maybe it was just our weather patterns preventing the smoke from going up.

-- Ethan

We had 4123 , DV 1 aft deck on Bermuda cruise on Viking Orion. Never had any smells or soot. It was a great cabin and balcony. Never any soot on the infinity pool deck. 

Edited by Azulann

2 hours ago, Triptkr said:

Pertaining to the new COVID requirements on land...did it feel any different than it did on the ship?  I was planning on wearing a mask in the stores that we would visit anyway but am wondering what you think.  

I'm not in Iceland, but it seems like what Iceland is requiring for at least the next few weeks is pretty much what Viking requires, so it won't take much to go from ship to shore and back!   Iceland requires masks inside buildings, except when eating/drinking, no gatherings of over 200 people, and bars/restaurants must close at 11 PM.  Must social distance. See https://www.covid.is/categories/effective-restrictions-on-gatherings

• Like 1

To apply for the Pre-registration for Visiting Iceland,  is there any form that we have to fill in order to receive that security code  I read the whole " visit.covid.is website", it tells you what you need and to do but not no form to fill in order to apply for the security code for entrance to Iceland.

Jim

3 minutes ago, mcjyl said:

To apply for the Pre-registration for Visiting Iceland,  is there any form that we have to fill in order to receive that security code  I read the whole " visit.covid.is website", it tells you what you need and to do but not no form to fill in order to apply for the security code for entrance to Iceland.

Jim

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210722a-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US-UK-FINAL.pdf

This gives a detailed list of how to go through the Icelandic registration process. It is lifted from the resources tab on the Icelandic cruise page on the main Viking website. 

10 hours ago, Triptkr said:

We are in Patreksfjordur in the Westfjords (less populated) right now and driving to Isafjordur today. They do require you to conform to the regulations. Period. They definitely want to keep cases down. 

A puffin working on its burrow yesterday at Latrabjarg Cliffs.

Jack

A6409011.thumb.JPG.2155e41fb14ec6486f269922e7db3486.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Apparently there has been another positive test onboard a Viking Iceland ship. A poster on another site has stated that she was placed in quarantine because of close contact with a person she sat near on an excursion bus. She missed her flight home today and is being transferred to a Reykjavik hotel awaiting test results from Iceland officials

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I know it is early but any signs of Aurora Borealis?  SIRI told me September thru March best viewing.  I can recall in the 1950's we would frequently be able to see them in Western PA.  

Hard to see the AB when the sky is bright all night like this time of year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Apparently there has been another positive test onboard a Viking Iceland ship. A poster on another site has stated that she was placed in quarantine because of close contact with a person she sat near on an excursion bus. She missed her flight home today and is being transferred to a Reykjavik hotel awaiting test results from Iceland officials

Which ship? Do you have a link?

2 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Jupiter. No link. Info was posted in Viking Facebook group

It was posted in a a Facebook group called:"Viking Cruise Voyagers". It is a private group not the official Viking FB  page.

The  person quarantined is doing fine  . Her husband was not part of the contact tracing event.  He works in the travel industry. 

FYI, Celebrity ship in Alaska, and  Crystal ship  have all detected positive case  either  at embarkation or once on ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Read the same thing.  Apparently 71 people quarantined.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Camden lady said:

Perfect!!!!  I  have my trekking poles ready to go also so should be ok.   May skip the last stop and stay with the bus.   Lunch sounds delicious, but I am with you....a larger dessert would be great, I do like my desserts. 🙂

The last walk is downhill and wasn’t at all difficult.  I would take the walk unless you have difficulty walking an easy and slow mile. 

57 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Read the same thing.  Apparently 71 people quarantined.

Jupiter 8/3

I’m not seeing any additional information about Jupiter. No idea what the fate is of the 71 quarantined passengers (are they in hotels? For how long? Did anyone else test positive? ) or what happens with the new 7/27 passengers. Were they able to board on time? If Iceland has quarantined 70+ passengers is that an issue that might change current Viking protocols and procedures? Are we going back in the bubble?