Antarctica/ South America winter 2021

kimanjo

On 10/11/2021 at 7:04 AM, kimanjo said:

Kayaking and Drysuit.

Not sure where to post this.  For those of you who have done the kayaking in the polar regions.  What do you wear under your dry suit????  Do you put the suit on in the "staging" area"?  

Just posted this on another thread. Hope it helps.

Kayaking was our favorite part of Antarctia and also the Arctic.   It is a rather cumbersome onesie. Think of the little boy in Christmas story wearing his snowsuit. Well worth the effort for the experience.  We wore just our thermal under layers and thermal socks underneath. If you get cold feet, consider two pairs.  I slipped to the back of the room to change for privacy the first time. The second time didnt bother, it was one big changing room with everyone focused on how to actually get into the dry suit. There will be plenty of people to help you figure it out.  The dry suits are quite warm and you will quickly work up a sweat. The pogies are neoprene saucers that fit on the paddle.  I did not wear gloves with them and my hands were warm.  Others wore waterproof gloves, and some bought some cheap dishwashing gloves in Ushuia. Ingenious. The attached felt waterproof booties are a little slip slidy, but you will not be doing much walking.  I've thought about trying my reef shoes next time for some structure but not sure they will fit in the booties. If using your cell phone camera, the waterproof pouches are a must. Have a fantastic trip.

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Just posted this on another thread. Hope it helps.

Kayaking was our favorite part of Antarctia and also the Arctic.   It is a rather cumbersome onesie. Think of the little boy in Christmas story wearing his snowsuit. Well worth the effort for the experience.  We wore just our thermal under layers and thermal socks underneath. If you get cold feet, consider two pairs.  I slipped to the back of the room to change for privacy the first time. The second time didnt bother, it was one big changing room with everyone focused on how to actually get into the dry suit. There will be plenty of people to help you figure it out.  The dry suits are quite warm and you will quickly work up a sweat. The pogies are neoprene saucers that fit on the paddle.  I did not wear gloves with them and my hands were warm.  Others wore waterproof gloves, and some bought some cheap dishwashing gloves in Ushuia. Ingenious. The attached felt waterproof booties are a little slip slidy, but you will not be doing much walking.  I've thought about trying my reef shoes next time for some structure but not sure they will fit in the booties. If using your cell phone camera, the waterproof pouches are a must. Have a fantastic trip.

Super helpful information.  Thanks so much!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just received this by email from SS. It looks like those going on the Explorer out of Puerto Williams will have a great business-class flight experience, unlike the all-coach plane from Santiago to Puerto Arenas for the Wind's Antarctic trips, possibly due to the Explorer's smaller capacity.

https://discover.silversea.com/to-the-curious/antarctica-return-to-service/?cid_email=em_USA_EM2109133925_PROSPECT_EXPEDITION_CON_DEM_LINK&IndividualId=25250156&utm_campaign=USA_EM2109133925_PROSPECT&utm_source=USA&utm_medium=Email&cid=89722&mid=231646960

6 hours ago, taxatty said:

the all-coach plane from Santiago to Puerto Arenas for the Wind's Antarctic trips

^^ the Cloud's Antarctica trips. The Wind's trips, quite sadly, were canceled by Silversea. So we won't be enjoying the business-class flight from Santiago, nor the all-coach flight from Santiago; we'll be sitting at home flying nowhere, and reading jealously reports from the Antartica trips this year as we wait (again) until next year. 

Well, keep in mind the email is for marketing purposes. They call it a business class like flight experience, meaning a coach seat with a bit more pitch and an empty middle seat in practical terms, comparable to what they call business class on short intra European flights, but nothing to do with US First Class or international business class.  
Earlier emails about the Puerto Williams operation mentioned additional baggage allowance, but in reality the same 50 lbs as on the previous all coach flight to Ushuaia.

I’m convinced the private flight arrangement into Puerto Williams is a much better experience than before, so that’s good, but Silversea’s emails should be taken for what they are, sales pitches.

11 minutes ago, f100 said:

Well, keep in mind the email is for marketing purposes. They call it a business class like flight experience, meaning a coach seat with a bit more pitch and an empty middle seat in practical terms, comparable to what they call business class on short intra European flights, but nothing to do with US First Class or international business class.  
Earlier emails about the Puerto Williams operation mentioned additional baggage allowance, but in reality the same 50 lbs as on the previous all coach flight to Ushuaia.

I’m convinced the private flight arrangement into Puerto Williams is a much better experience than before, so that’s good, but Silversea’s emails should be taken for what they are, sales pitches.

Fifty lb max and just one case per person for a cold weather cruise??

• Like 1

Just received this from SS with respect to an upcoming Antarctic voyage--you can see how regimented the whole procedure has become, which I can certainly understand.

With your voyage drawing closer, your travel preparations may be well underway. To best prepare your voyage aboard our beloved Silver Cloud, we wanted to take the opportunity to inform you on what your cruise experience will be like.

While our top priority has always been to safeguard your health and safety, please rest assured that we have worked hard to retain and enrich the exceptional onboard service, the unforgettable experiences, and the immersive nature of our voyages. We have developed a comprehensive plan to ensure guests' safety throughout their journeys. This plan extends to our contractors, who will be required to comply with our health and safety protocols.

To enable you to prepare for your voyage with us, we are pleased to share some important information to acknowledge prior to your voyage.

With the uncertainty surrounding current travel regulations, this information may evolve by the time of your voyage. Please contact your Silversea representative or travel agent prior to departure to understand if new information is available.

IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO YOUR VOYAGE:

• Vaccination: All guests must have received their second vaccine shot (if applicable) at least two weeks prior to the voyage, in order to have developed immunity before boarding the ship. Only guests with vaccines approved by the WHO will be permitted to board. A copy of the vaccination certificate must be uploaded to "My Silversea". Your vaccination certificate or a printed copy must be shown upon arrival in Santiago, Chile.
  • Country requirements to enter Chile: We remind you that guests are responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements to enter the country from which the voyage originates and to return home at the voyage's conclusion.
    • Visitors must produce a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test, performed within the 72 hours prior to departure— counting from the last boarding on flights with stopovers.
    • In addition, from November 1, 2021, fully vaccinated visitors must undertake a RT-PCR test upon arrival in Chile. This test will be conducted at the airport by Chilean authorities. Guests will await the test results at their hotel. Only those who test negative will be allowed to avoid the preventative 5-day quarantine.
    • Proof of the Covid-19 vaccine will allow visitors to obtain a Mobility Pass issued by the Chilean Ministry of Health. This requirement is due from 45 days prior to your arrival in Chile and may be submitted via this website mevacuna.gob.cl. Please be aware, submissions prior to 45 days of your arrival in Chile will not be accepted. Note too, it can take up to 30 days to validate your proof of vaccination, so please be aware of this timing and mindful of your travel dates when submitting this requirement. Please be sure to enter/use an email address that you will have access to on your mobile device on the day of your arrival in Chile.
    • Before entry, all travellers must complete a "traveller's affidavit" form 48 hours prior to travel - https://www.c19.cl/llegada-internacional.html. The electronic form includes contact information, medical history, proof of travel insurance, COVID-19 RT-PCR test results, and previous travel history.
    • Travellers must carry proof of travel insurance throughout the voyage, which is required to cover any medical expenses related to Covid-19 with a minimum coverage of $30,000 of health benefits.
  • Health and safety: Guests included in COVID-19 risk groups should consult with their medical care provider for advice on their ability to travel and for information on the risks of travelling.

PRE-CRUISE JOURNEY IN SANTIAGO:

• Upon arrival at the Santiago airport, all guests must undertake a RT-PCR test at the airport performed by the Chilean authorities. Please make sure to have all the necessary documents with you (Mobility Pass, insurance paperwork, pre-travel negative RT-PCR test and traveller's health affidavit) as they may be requested by health authorities.
  • Guests will be greeted by a Silversea representative who will collect their luggage. Guests will be transferred to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Santiago in private or shared vehicles where they will check-in.
  • All guests will be appointed a hotel room and their luggage will be delivered to their room.
  • Guest are required to quarantine in this hotel until they receive the results of the Chilean administered RT-PCR test (available within 8-12 hours after taking the test).
  • Guests must leave their luggage outside of their room, to be picked up for sanitisation and transport to Punta Arenas.

FLIGHT TO PUNTA ARENAS:

On the morning of embarkation, guests will be transferred from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel to a private terminal in Santiago airport for boarding of a 3.5-hour charter flight to Punta Arenas (PUQ).

Guests will enjoy special security procedures, and fast-tracked, staggered boarding at the airport. Guests will have to comply with all health and safety measures, including the wearing of a face mask at all times during the journey, at the airport, and on the plane.

ARRIVAL IN PUNTA ARENAS:

Upon arrival to Punta Arenas, all guests will undergo a pre-embarkation health screening, including an enhanced health questionnaire and temperature checks. Guests must also present proof of full vaccination.

Guests will be transferred to the vessel, where they will board Silver Cloud and enjoy lunch on board while waiting for their suites to be ready.

Embarkation will be denied to guests who:

• Are unable to provide proof of full vaccination with a vaccine approved by the WHO, completed at least 2 weeks before boarding
  • Have a temperature exceeding 38°C/100.4°F
  • Have symptoms of other COVID-19 symptoms detected during a secondary medical screening
  • We deem, in our sole discretion, to be a close contact of any guest exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, and who tests positive

Any guests who test positive for COVID-19, as well as their travelling parties, will be cared for by the local health authorities. This will be in accordance with the local health and safety measures, which, depending on the case, might vary from self-isolation to hospitalisation.

In cases of denied boarding for COVID-19 reasons please call or email silvercare@silversea.com; 24/7 global dedicated number: +1 954 713 40 50.

ENHANCED SAFETY DRILL:

We have designed an enhanced, staggered group safety drill that will be completed in two phases to ensure physical distancing and to reduce the drill's duration.

• The safety drill's first phase must now be completed by viewing and acknowledging the safety drill video on the "My Cruise" app or on your in-suite TV. This first step must be completed upon arrival in your suite to enable you to be pre-assigned to a group, time slot, and muster station for phase two of the drill.
  • The second phase will be performed from a minimum of one to a maximum of three groups in our dedicated muster stations to ensure physical distancing.

PEACE OF MIND WHILE ON BOARD:

As part of our commitment to safeguarding your health and safety, we have implemented science-backed protocols on board with which you will be required to comply.

• Physical distancing: Thanks to the intimate size of our ships and the abundance of space enjoyed by our guests, our ships can guarantee physical distancing with only minor reconfigurations to onboard public areas.
  • Masks: The wearing of a mask is compulsory in all indoor areas on board the ship, as well as on Zodiacs, at the airport, while in vehicles, and when ashore in inhabited areas. Masks are optional in all outdoor areas on the ship and during visits to deserted areas.
  • Hand sanitising: For your comfort and safety, you will be required to engage in frequent handwashing. We will provide you with a luxury portable sanitisation kit, which will include a hospital-grade hand sanitiser. We have placed hand-sanitising points in prominent, easily accessible, strategic points throughout the ship.
  • Daily touchless temperature checks: Your butler will take your temperature in the comfort of your suite every morning.
  • Testing: All guests will be required to undergo a COVID-19 rapid antigen test during the cruise. The testing process will be staggered, starting from day three up until day eight of your voyage.
  • COVID-19 Symptoms: In case you develop COVID-19 symptoms while on board, you should immediately notify the nearest member of onboard personnel. Contact numbers for the Medical Centre are also available on your suite's TV and in the Chronicles. COVID-19 symptoms include cough, fever, shortness of breath, sudden onset of anosmia, ageusia or dysgeusia. Additional less specific symptoms may include headache, chills, muscle pain, fatigue, vomiting and/or diarrhoea.

IN-TRANSIT GUESTS:

• To enable our teams to complete the suite cleaning and sanitisation processes, you will be required to leave your suite at 8am. You are invited to either enjoy breakfast or venture ashore —on one of our shore excursions or independently —while waiting to re-enter your suite.
  • Silversea will provide a COVID-19 rapid antigen test for all in-transit guests before starting the new voyage.

DISEMBARKATION DAY AND RETURN HOME:

• On the day of disembarkation, guests will enjoy breakfast onboard and will be transferred to the airport for their return flight to Santiago.
  • Upon arrival in Santiago, a Silversea representative will assist all guests with further travel arrangements, which may include an overnight stay at Mandarin Oriental Hotel or day-room use at the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel in Santiago.
  • Testing: Silversea will provide a complimentary COVID-19 rapid antigen test for all disembarking guests. Should you require a RT-PCR Test, your Silversea Representative or onboard team will do their best to assist as testing will have to be pre-arranged. PCR testing services can be limited in more remote regions and therefore may not always be available. In addition, if RT-PCR testing is arranged, guests will incur a nominal fee and can vary according to the destination and provided through a third-party provider.

If you develop COVID-19 symptoms after disembarking the ship, you should self-isolate and seek immediate medical care, sharing your travel history with the healthcare provider and a Silversea representative.

• Like 2

taxatty; thanks for sharing this detail, tho, learned most of this from Silversea guests getting ready to board or on board the Explorer or Cloud on the Silversea Passenger Facebook page.

What has changed since late last week is Chile will not administer a PCR test on arrival or have you isolate in your hotel room (mandarin oriental) if you have had the booster shot.  

Am working with Silversea in Miami who is working with Port in Chile,  to determine what documentation Chile will accept for our boosters (our CDC card with booster shot annotated).  We can't update our mobility pass since we applied weeks ago (mine was approved, my wife's is pending).  Fortunately for us we have some time before landing in Santiago on December 20th.

Edited by WesW

Once you have your vaccination card approved by the Chilean authorities, the receipt they have issued will be the only acceptable proof of vaccination on arrival in Santiago. Previous guests arriving in Santiago have reported that the original homecountry vaccination card will not be looked at nor accepted. So if the booster shot is not on the pre-approved Chilean receipt you will still have to take the pcr test on arrival. The policy change only benefits folks who haven’t received their 3 shot vaccination card approval yet but have recently applied or will apply from now on.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 9:47 PM, Catlover54 said:

Fifty lb max and just one case per person for a cold weather cruise??

Plenty!!    It really is, you pick up your parka on the ship and for most cruises you can rent boots so you wont have to pack them.   You dont need nearly as much as you might imagine, follow the packing guidance.

• Like 1

Just remember that you'll probably have to wear that parka home, unless you have a lot of excess space in your luggage.

I own the Bogs boots, and I'm still debating whether I'd wear them on the plane in order to avoid having to pack them; probably not, but it's tempting!

1 hour ago, caradara said:

We were shown how to fold up the parka so that it was a ball and then carried it on the plane on the way home.  Maybe the new ones don't fold that way.

Well, it depends what other carry on stuff you have with you. I always have a roll aboard plug a camera bag, so carrying the coat wold be a bit much; it's easier to wear it -- just for boarding, and then up into the overhead it goes!

Another COVID-19 related itinerary change was announced on the Cloud's upcoming holiday cruise to Antarctica and the Falkland Islands--Port Stanley is being skipped and replaced by stops at Bleaker Island and Bull Point "to avoid visiting a populated community whilst still maintaining our expedition discovery of the Falkland Islands." Darn--there goes my chance to buy an F.I. magnet, coffee mug and cap.

Edited by taxatty

23 minutes ago, taxatty said:

Another COVID-19 related itinerary change was announced on the Cloud's upcoming holiday cruise to Antarctica and the Falkland Islands--Port Stanley is being skipped and replaced by stops at Bleaker Island and Bull Point "to avoid visiting a populated community whilst still maintaining our expedition discovery of the Falkland Islands." Darn--there goes my chance to buy an F.I. magnet, coffee mug and cap.

Note--Bleaker Island and Bull Point appear to be good places to see penguins and other wildlife --https://bleakerisland.com/ and https://www.falklandislands.com/things-to-do/bull-point-p676221.

Courtesy of Wikipedia, here is some background on how the name Carcass came about:

The island's grim-sounding name comes from the ship HMS Carcass, which surveyed the island in 1766. Its accompanying vessel, HMS Jason, gave its name to the nearby Jason Islands, and its captain, John MacBride, gave his name to MacBride Head.

It has been run as a sheep farm for over a century and is owned by R. P. McGill.[1] The island's three heritage-listed buildings are a boathouse, shed, and store.[2] Its small settlement lying on Port Patterson on the southwest coast is also known for its gardens and has a small grocery shop.

Carcass Island was considered as one of the potential sites for a British amphibious landing during the Falklands War;[3] however, the British landings took place on San Carlos Water in the west of East Falkland, on Falkland Sound. The plan would have been for a "stone aircraft carrier". The main objections to this plan were threefold: 1) Carcass Island, being in the west of the archipelago, was nearest to continental Argentine bases; 2) its proximity to the airbase on Pebble Island; and 3) its remoteness from Stanley, as it was furthest from the main objectives, and West Falkland was ultimately bypassed in the war.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 7:23 PM, WesW said:

What has changed since late last week is Chile will not administer a PCR test on arrival or have you isolate in your hotel room (mandarin oriental) if you have had the booster shot

Is it really not necessary to make a PCR test on arrival and to isolate in Hotel, if you have had 3 shots?

Don’t SS need the Test result in Punta Arena?

Thank you for your help.

3 hours ago, f100 said:

This is old info. Everyone has to take a mandatory PCR test when arriving in Chile including passengers with booster shots. No exceptions.

At the page of the Government of Chile (https://www.gob.cl/en/news/protected-borders-plan-restrictions-leaving-country-are-lifted/) you can read:

Testing and isolating in Chile for travelers from December 1 
  • All those, independent of nationality, who have had a booster shot applied in the six months before traveling, which is registered and validated on their Mobility Pass, will be exempt from testing and isolating on entering the country
  • All those who have a Mobility Pass but have not had a booster shot must be tested at the point of entry into Chile and self-isolate until receiving a negative result.

The question is how does it work and which regulations has SS in this case?

11 hours ago, Galka said:

At the page of the Government of Chile (https://www.gob.cl/en/news/protected-borders-plan-restrictions-leaving-country-are-lifted/) you can read:

Testing and isolating in Chile for travelers from December 1 
  • All those, independent of nationality, who have had a booster shot applied in the six months before traveling, which is registered and validated on their Mobility Pass, will be exempt from testing and isolating on entering the country
  • All those who have a Mobility Pass but have not had a booster shot must be tested at the point of entry into Chile and self-isolate until receiving a negative result.

The question is how does it work and which regulations has SS in this case?

Regardless of that, I can confirm to you first-hand that when we arrived in Santiago from Miami on December 20th for going to the Cloud, everyone was supposed to get a PCR test at the Santiago airport at a well-marked area prior to clearing local immigration and going by bus to the hotel. You then had to stay in your room until a negative test result was received later in the day. A prior negative US test was insufficient. A few who didn't get the PCR test at the airport for whatever reason had to have it done at the Mandarin Oriental itself in an upstairs room set up for that purpose, with results being available within several hours. SS was extremely diligent at checking everyone's test information. Without that PCR negative test result, you could not have boarded the ship as it had to be shown to the Chilean authorities at the dock in Punta Arenas.

• Thanks 1