Is Covid specific insurance required for fully vaccinated passengers

drsel

3 minutes ago, Até said:

I don't think there's any reason to buy the COVID-19 only Reassurance plan.  But what I would do is go to the MSC website and do a mock booking of your cruise.  Pick the same sailing and number/ages of people.  Use whatever cabin category gets you close to the same total price as your currently booked sailing.  Go through entering the passenger info, just make it up but it requires names, dates and just use a fake email/phone etc....  Before the payment page will be the insurance option for the full Travel Protection Plan.  The price per person should be very close to what you paid.

When I did my MSC booking on the US website, I did not see any option to buy any kind of insurance at any price

I've attached a copy of the old Travel Protection plan MSC has offered.  It doesn't mention COVID-19 specifically but should be a good base example to identify their current full Travel Protection Plan with COVID-19 coverage.  I'm confident whatever similar plan MSC is selling has the COVID-19 coverage.  Generali is a branch name of CSA.  When MSC first updated the Health & Safety pages I kept copies of those new policies but unfortunately I dumped them when MSC made the recent insurance changes.

Genarali MSC Insurance G452_Policy.pdf

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Até said:

I don't think there's any reason to buy the COVID-19 only Reassurance plan.  But what I would do is go to the MSC website and do a mock booking of your cruise.  Pick the same sailing and number/ages of people.  Use whatever cabin category gets you close to the same total price as your currently booked sailing.  Go through entering the passenger info, just make it up but it requires names, dates and just use a fake email/phone etc....  Before the payment page will be the insurance option for the full Travel Protection Plan.  The price per person should be very close to what you paid.

You are an evil genius (I mean this in the most complimentary sense possible!) Thank you! 😉

19 minutes ago, drsel said:

When I did my MSC booking on the US website, I did not see any option to buy any kind of insurance at any price

My mock booking details are different than CelebrationFamily, but here's what you get right before the payment page.  That is total insurance price shown, not per person.

a.thumb.jpg.2c1e24716a66658b799335f0dc644416.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Até said:

I've attached a copy of the old Travel Protection plan MSC has offered.  It doesn't mention COVID-19 specifically but should be a good base example to identify their current full Travel Protection Plan with COVID-19 coverage.  I'm confident whatever similar plan MSC is selling has the COVID-19 coverage.  Generali is a branch name of CSA.  When MSC first updated the Health & Safety pages I kept copies of those new policies but unfortunately I dumped them when MSC made the recent insurance changes.

Genarali MSC Insurance G452_Policy.pdf 189.96 kB · 1 download

This looks like a regular travel Insurance that anyone can buy in his own home country.

It does not even mention any COVID specific cover at all, so it would be invalid ( if it was not bought from MSC)

Edited by drsel

42 minutes ago, Até said:

My mock booking details are different than CelebrationFamily, but here's what you get right before the payment page.  That is total insurance price shown, not per person.

a.thumb.jpg.2c1e24716a66658b799335f0dc644416.jpg

there is no mention of " you have to buy this mandatory Travel Protection plan BEFORE final payment " in the case of non US ports (Europe cruises).

I guess you can buy this any time after final payment, when you are sure that your Europe Cruise will be sailing and you are definitely planning to sail on it.

2 hours ago, drsel said:

This looks like a regular travel Insurance that anyone can buy in his own home country.

It does not even mention any COVID specific cover at all, so it would be invalid ( if it was not bought from MSC)

When you click on the "CLICK HERE to view Description of Coverage/Policy" it takes you to the MSC insurance comparison page showing both the base COVID-19 Reassurance plan and the Travel Protection with COVID-19 full coverage plan.  They are just brief sysopses but both cover COVID-19 issues.  I posted the old CSA/Generali policy above for reference to what the travel side may look like once MSC figures out the current policy details are missing.

Would I prefer to buy my own Travel Protection policy?  Yes.  But right now MSC's pricing for separately purchasing the EU sailing's Reassurance only plan is quite ridiculous so I would not opt out of their Travel Protection policy just because of that.  I would purchase my own policy in addition but just for medical as I prefer a policy that is primary medical insurance.

Edited by Até

What's interesting is that I did a mock booking for a cruise already booked, as it's now a Voyager's Select sailing (old booking is better).  Before continuing, I had to agree to buy MSC's covid insurance.

But, after reading this (follow link), I tried to complete their health questionnaire and was unable to do so, as only the usual check-in populates, nothing about health, covid, vaccinations or insurance.

I wonder if I am exempt because I booked the cruise some time ago and at the time of my booking it was not required?
https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/europe-cruises

Edited by Stockjock

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

What's interesting is that I did a mock booking for a cruise already booked, as it's now a Voyager's Select sailing (old booking is better).  Before continuing, I had to agree to buy MSC's covid insurance.

But, after reading this (follow link), I tried to complete their health questionnaire and was unable to do so, as only the usual check-in populates, nothing about health, covid, vaccinations or insurance.

I wonder if I am exempt because I booked the cruise some time ago and at the time of my booking it was not required?

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I booked the cruise on July 13th and have never been able to access their health questionnaire.  I have completed the check-in process and see the check marks by my name and my wife's.  I have attributed this to their "buggy" web site rather than any policy issue but who knows.  

On 7/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, Stockjock said:

As a reminder, certain credit cards may provide coverage for trip interruptions which may include covid.  If your card offers this, you must put the entire flight and/or cruise on the credit card.  

On 7/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, Stockjock said:

.... When I spoke to an agent a couple of weeks ago, she said it was not required.  Also, stating that passengers must buy their expensive insurance before final payment (can't buy it after) and then denying them boarding doesn't make sense to me.

By that logic, let's say you spent $3,000 on a cruise.  Agent tells you their insurance isn't needed, so you don't buy it.  They they turn you away at the port and tell you to fly back home.  I'm not believing they'd do that.

Or, again by that logic, you find out about the insurance after final payment (which they're still not mentioning).  You try to buy it, but are refused, because as is written, must be bought before final payment.  Then they turn you away at the port and tell you to go home.  Again, doesn't seem logical.

We booked on June 29 using FCC as our deposit. Paid the balance via ChaseSR on July 13 (1-2 days before given due date). I was told the same as you both by the pre-recorded message during waiting and by the agent who handled the booking. Our cruise may be an outlier (TA from Barcelona to Miami Nov. 2). I was presented with an opportunity to buy insurance ($371) when I paid, but did not per what I was told. Recently, I have read the "all cruises out of European port." I don't know what to believe. Logic seems never to apply--at least not what I consider logic/common sense/even business sense. I know my CSR does provide quite a bit of coverage--including emergency evacuation and see no exclusions for Covid. Would MSC accept this? The cost of MSC insurance is lower than any other I've priced (all of which are double our last trip in May, 2018). We are 81 and 73 which does figure in on those costs. I think others here feel as I do. I'll gladly buy the insurance IF REQUIRED. OTOH, I can spend that $$ on other things--even from MSC. I'm going to try to wait it out, also. 

10 hours ago, Stockjock said:

That link/MSC web page still states all passengers from the US, vaccinated - non-vaccinated - recovered, must buy a travel protection plan that includes COVID-19 insurance.

You are required to purchase Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking. You will be denied boarding if insurance is not purchased.

If you purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises, you are required to purchase MSC Cruises COVID-19 Protection**. COVID-19 Protection must be purchased prior to making final payment on your booking.

**Travel insurance purchased outside of MSC Cruises must meet the following criteria:
A minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policy holder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding. In addition, guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises will also be required to purchase our COVID-19 Protection Services. The COVID-19 Protection Services is for all guests 3 years and older and cost: $100 per guest for cruises 4 nights or less; $150 per guest for cruises 5 nights or longer. This protection service can be purchased prior to your cruise by calling 844-556-2765, if you booked directly with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment.

At least the COVID-19 only plan has come down a few dollars.  Additionally you are going to be forced to agree to the Terms & Conditions which now have a large section about this and what MSC can change right up to the time you sail.  Read sections four and five

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf

Edited by Até

10 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I just did a mock booking for my Sep 18th cruise.  I checked the box for insurance - only choice was $68pp.  I got as far as payment info and, of course, had to stop at that point.  I had no link to agree to health insurance; it automatically added it to my fare.  Because I didn't make payment, there was no way to check in so I have no way of knowing whether I had to complete the health questionnaire.

30 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

I just did a mock booking for my Sep 18th cruise.  I checked the box for insurance - only choice was $68pp.  I got as far as payment info and, of course, had to stop at that point.  I had no link to agree to health insurance; it automatically added it to my fare.  Because I didn't make payment, there was no way to check in so I have no way of knowing whether I had to complete the health questionnaire.

If you opt out of the "optional" MSC Travel Protection plan and choose to use your own military insurance MSC will still make you buy their COVID-19 Reassurance plan for $100 (up to 4 night) to $150 (five or more night) per person.  MSC will also scrutinize your military insurance.   See the FAQ at the bottom of the European Health & Safety page linked to above.

Is insurance required to travel?

A Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is required for all guests. This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your cruise. If you’ve already booked your cruise and have not purchased a Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19, you may call 844-572-9636, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment.  If insurance is not purchased within the allotted timeframe, you will be denied boarding.

For guests wanting to purchase their own travel insurance, it is required to provide coverage for COVID-19 protection.  Guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises must provide proof of their valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policy holder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding.  Without it, guests will be denied boarding.

Guests that purchase the insurance offered by MSC Cruises do not need to present these documents as this information will be included on your reservation and visible to the terminal agent. 

In addition, guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises will also be required to purchase our COVID-19 Protection Services. The COVID-19 Protection Services is for all guests 3 years and older and costs are as follows: $100 per guest for cruises 4 nights or less; $150 per guest for cruises 5 nights or longer. This protection service is in addition to insurance requirements and can be purchased prior to your cruise by calling 844-572-9636, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment.

insu.thumb.jpg.eff6b2a538bd80899ef97c40f130993c.jpg

ETA: It's usually cheaper to just purchase the full Travel Protection plan w/COVID-19 coverage from MSC rather than the COVID-19 only Reassurance plan.  Price above is for two people.

Edited by Até

15 minutes ago, Até said:

If you opt out of the "optional" MSC Travel Protection plan and choose to use your own military insurance MSC will still make you buy their COVID-19 Reassurance plan for $100 (up to 4 night) to $150 (five or more night) per person.  MSC will also scrutinize your military insurance.   See the FAQ at the bottom of the European Health & Safety page linked to above.

ETA: It's usually cheaper to just purchase the full Travel Protection plan w/COVID-19 coverage from MSC rather than the COVID-19 only Reassurance plan.  Price above is for two people.

I am more than confused.  When I did the mock booking, only the $68pp insurance was offered.  Will someone give me the bottom line - What is the lowest price MSC insurance I can purchase to meet their requirement.

16 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

I am more than confused.  When I did the mock booking, only the $68pp insurance was offered.  Will someone give me the bottom line - What is the lowest price MSC insurance I can purchase to meet their requirement.

Well, the MSC Travel Protection Plan with COVID-19 coverage (shown during booking as the CSA Travel Protection) varies based on the cruise cost.  I think you would have to book a very expensive cabin to make it more than the $100 to $150pp COVID-19 only Reassurance plan you get stuck buying if you opt for your own travel protection plan.  In most every case I've looked at it's better to get the full MSC Travel Protection which, contrary to the website wording, people are being allowed to add after final payment.

I'm still waiting to see when MSC puts in a link to the exact plan you are purchasing.  So far there is no detail as to the MSC plan specifics, I'm meaning the actual policy terms.

ETA: As I've said in other posts in addition to the "required" MSC travel insurance I personally would still purchase my own insurance plan that I am sure serves as primary medical coverage, in doublebzz's case I believe their military insurance does that.

Edited by Até

54 minutes ago, Até said:

Well, the MSC Travel Protection Plan with COVID-19 coverage (shown during booking as the CSA Travel Protection) varies based on the cruise cost. 

The problem, as STOCKJOCK has pointed out, in our bookings there are no links, no tabs, no mention of health questionnaires, insurance, etc.  When I'm about a month out from my cruise, I'll start making phone calls to clarify the situation.

• Like 1

I've cancelled my European bookings so can no longer test whether on older bookings MSC links to an insurance requirement and purchase page.  So I have to go by what you are stating and MSC has not provided that option/link during your Web Check-In process.  Have you tried going through the process again, even if you've already checked in?  I have seen other's post here where they had EU cruises which were past final payment and they called MSC to have the insurance added.

8 minutes ago, Até said:

Have you tried going through the process again, even if you've already checked in?  I have seen other's post here where they had EU cruises which were past final payment and they called MSC to have the insurance added.

I've gone through the process multiple times.  The MSC web site is a disaster - cannot even display my updated voyager number on my booking.

20 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

The MSC web site is a disaster - cannot even display my updated voyager number on my booking.

MSC had trouble keeping the website up to date before this pandemic.  With many country's requirements changing so rapidly I'm surprised the MSC website has kept up to even this level.

It's frustrating that it's so hard to get good, accurate information.  I discuss some of this on my MSC Comedy of Errors thread and certainly most of the issues I've experienced do not relate to covid.

Is insurance required?  Agents say no, website says yes.

Website says complete the health questionnaire by following the link.  Link doesn't work.

Older bookings have not communicated to customers in any way that covid insurance is required (lack of communication when things change is one of my major beefs).  But newer bookings state that directly.

Website says insurance must be purchased *before* final payment or you will be denied boarding.  This doesn't even make sense, especially when MSC tells you that you don't need the insurance when you ask, and doesn't communicate that need otherwise.  But even if you did need to buy covid insurance, certainly there needs to be an opportunity to buy it after final payment.  After all, who in their right mind would make final payment if they thought they'd be denied boarding and have no further opportunity to buy covid insurance?

We understand that things are changing, but I'd love to see some consistency and uniformity within MSC.  As mentioned, I'll skip it until the cruise approaches and then we'll see.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Older bookings have not communicated to customers in any way that covid insurance is required (lack of communication when things change is one of my major beefs).  But newer bookings state that directly.

Website says insurance must be purchased *before* final payment or you will be denied boarding.  This doesn't even make sense, especially when MSC tells you that you don't need the insurance when you ask, and doesn't communicate that need otherwise.  But even if you did need to buy covid insurance, certainly there needs to be an opportunity to buy it after final payment.  After all, who in their right mind would make final payment if they thought they'd be denied boarding and have no further opportunity to buy covid insurance?

MSC US has sent out emails to those passengers with older bookings for US based sailings notifying them of the new Health & Safety policy and insurance requirement if non-vaccinated.  Notably MSC wants them to accept the newest Terms & Conditions outlining these changes.  I suspect MSC is doing a legal dance regarding the EU sailings and hoping people will just accept the new Terms and buy the insurance.

I think a lot of this inconsistency likely has to do with legal worries regarding changing the Terms & Conditions after people booked their cruise, specifically MSC making changes that add costs.  There are likely some rules/laws about MSC making policy that adds insurance expenses to the cruise after someone booked under an earlier contract that has now been changed.

MSC is also having to get insurance companies to follow along.  I'm not up to date on insurer policy but have seen some coverage details differ based on whether final payment has already been made or not when issuing the policy.  So some of the MSC difficulty may lie there and explain why MSC has not revealed any policy details.

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

It's frustrating that it's so hard to get good, accurate information.  I discuss some of this on my MSC Comedy of Errors thread and certainly most of the issues I've experienced do not relate to covid.

Is insurance required?  Agents say no, website says yes.

Website says complete the health questionnaire by following the link.  Link doesn't work.

We understand that things are changing, but I'd love to see some consistency and uniformity within MSC.  As mentioned, I'll skip it until the cruise approaches and then we'll see.

This This This!!! ⬆️ I booked directly with MSC two weeks ago for my European sailing on the Seashore for September, 2021. The agent asked if I was fully vaccinated. When I said yes, he said "then you don't want the insurance, of course!" After booking and paying in full, I saw the threads on this site and the new language on the MSC site. I called MSC to add the "required Travel Protection Plan with Covid 19" coverage and the agent actually laughed. I insisted and went ahead with the purchase. When I received my policy, nowhere does it specifically mention Covid 19 coverage. I've decided not to worry (okay, worry less)...I'll let you know what happens when I show up at the Port! Cross your fingers for me.

Also, while the website tells me to fill out the health questionnaire IMMEDIATELY upon booking, there is no link to said questionnaire anywhere on my reservation. I specifically asked the agent about this..."how do I fill out the health form...how can I upload my vaccination record?" and she again laughed and told me not to worry..."maybe it will appear closer to sailing." It can all be very frustrating!

• Like 2

I mentioned that I have American Express Platinum, which is now usually $695 USD per year, but free through my employer, although I qualify as a customer rather than as an employee.

Pretty sure I'd be covered if I got covid or was quarantined due to covid.  Not sure if MSC is okay with that or not.  I guess we'll see.

Here's a non-official discussion of some of the card's benefits, for anyone interested.  
https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/reviews/american-express-platinum-card/travel-insurance-benefits/

1 hour ago, CelebrationFamily said:

This This This!!! ⬆️ I booked directly with MSC two weeks ago for my European sailing on the Seashore for September, 2021. The agent asked if I was fully vaccinated. When I said yes, he said "then you don't want the insurance, of course!" After booking and paying in full, I saw the threads on this site and the new language on the MSC site....

Change two weeks ago to four weeks ago and Seashore for Nov 2, 2021, and this is my story exactly. 

• Like 1