Is Covid specific insurance required for fully vaccinated passengers

drsel

The message received from my friend currently on Splendida was backed up by two voice recordings that they had to have the Covid insurance and both jabbed and none jabbed have to have the cover, everyone also has to have the Covid test prior to boarding. This is their third sailing this year and each time they had to buy the cover.

6 hours ago, sidari said:

The message received from my friend currently on Splendida was backed up by two voice recordings that they had to have the Covid insurance and both jabbed and none jabbed have to have the cover, everyone also has to have the Covid test prior to boarding. This is their third sailing this year and each time they had to buy the cover.

I believe your friend.

Kindly ask her if this 25 Euro insurance can be bought at the Cruise terminal on the spot (because this was the case for UK Cruises) and if it can be bought for an extended period of 1 to 2 months to cover multiple different Cruise ships of MSC and Costa, obviously at a much higher price.

Edited by drsel

6 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Here is the German version.

You may buy an insurance, but it's not mandatory...

COVID-19 INSURANCE

Each passenger should for his own protection, illness-related risks, such as cancellation of the package tour, repatriation costs, quarantine, medical help and costs, hospitalization, etc.  get travel iinsurance.

With our Covid-19 insurance from Europ Assistance is available for € 25 per person. (Northern Europe, Mediterranean) or € 29, - p.p. (Caribbean) any costs incurred in connection with Covid-19 accepted.

"Such an insurance can only be obtained immediately with the booking be completed."

This last line worries me.

so if we have not been able to buy this covid specific insurance when we booked the Cruises long ago on the US website, then will they deny us boarding at the port, if they are unable to sell this insurance on the spot?

Edited by drsel

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

If anyone needs a link to the USA website's MSC health and safety protocols, here it is:
https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures

Nowhere is it mentioned that a pre-obtained /pre-purchased covid specific insurance is mandatory, without which you will be denied boarding.

Or whether this insurance is available for purchase on the spot at the Barcelona Cruise terminal for 1 cruise or multiple Cruises

Edited by drsel

5 minutes ago, drsel said:

Nowhere is it mentioned that a pre-obtained /pre-purchased covid specific insurance is mandatory, without which you will be denied boarding.

Or whether this insurance is available for purchase on the spot at the Barcelona Cruise terminal for 1 cruise or multiple Cruises

That's true and the agent I spoke with today said that it's not mandatory.  But as you know, I get so much conflicting info from MSC, it's hard to know who or what to believe, at times.

• Like 1

When boarding Seaside in Genoa in May 2021, I wasn't asked anything about insurance.  I didn't purchase the MSC Covid insurance because my own insurance covers covid.  If there were checks (like on UK cruises at the moment) then I think we would have heard something.

My understanding is:

- Med cruises:  no checks if the passenger has covid specific insurance. 

- UK cruises:  checks at embarkation that the passenger has covid specific insurance, with option to pay for the specific MSC insurance.

- US cruises:  we don't know yet.

I suspect the UK checks are the result of local requirements (perhaps misinterpreted) as both the passenger and cruise ship guidance push insurance quite hard - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel.

9 hours ago, 8420PR said:

When boarding Seaside in Genoa in May 2021, I wasn't asked anything about insurance.  I didn't purchase the MSC Covid insurance because my own insurance covers covid.  If there were checks (like on UK cruises at the moment) then I think we would have heard something.

My understanding is:

- Med cruises:  no checks if the passenger has covid specific insurance. 

- UK cruises:  checks at embarkation that the passenger has covid specific insurance, with option to pay for the specific MSC insurance.

- US cruises:  we don't know yet.

I suspect the UK checks are the result of local requirements (perhaps misinterpreted) as both the passenger and cruise ship guidance push insurance quite hard - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel.

I would say your understanding of Med cruises is wrong having already posted info from a friend who is on Splendida and also a travel agent. 

For her three cruises this year she had to purchase the MSC Insurance.

Insurance companies appear to now be including the Covid cover in their standard policies 

There have been reports that people arriving at Southampton had to contact a company to buy the Insurance or be denied boarding.

The Insurance issue was only mentioned by MSC a few weeks prior to the first UK sailings, the same may happen in the US.

1 hour ago, sidari said:

I would say your understanding of Med cruises is wrong having already posted info from a friend who is on Splendida and also a travel agent. 

Insurance companies appear to now be including the Covid cover in their standard policies 

There have been reports that people arriving at Southampton had to contact a company to buy the Insurance or be denied boarding.

The Insurance issue was only mentioned by MSC a few weeks prior to the first UK sailings, the same may happen in the US.

I agree absolutely,  but can we purchase this covid specific insurance  at the Barcelona Cruise terminal on the spot, for one or multiple different Cruise ships for 1--2 months?

please find out from your friend, the travel agent

2 hours ago, sidari said:

I tried a test booking on MSC's Italian website - the covid insurance must be purchased and the box is checked (selected) by default and cannot be unchecked.

On MSC's German website, the covid insurance is still optional - by default the box is unchecked.

Hopefully this explains some of the different experiences people are reporting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

I tried a test booking on MSC's Italian website - the covid insurance must be purchased and the box is checked (selected) by default and cannot be unchecked.

On MSC's German website, the covid insurance is still optional - by default the box is unchecked.

Hopefully this explains some of the different experiences people are reporting.

And on the MSC USA website, there is not even an option to buy insurance online that I can see.  As mentioned, it can be purchased over the phone, but is far more expensive than what some of the Europeans are reporting ($210 USD for both of us).

Edited by Stockjock

2 hours ago, drsel said:

I agree absolutely,  but can we purchase this covid specific insurance  at the Barcelona Cruise terminal on the spot, for one or multiple different Cruise ships for 1--2 months?

please find out from your friend, the travel agent

MSC have cancelled some cruises for U S guests, those affected are in a new thread " More cancelled cruises"

With regard to you being able to buy the Insurance I doubt that as no decision has been taken yet by MSC to allow US guests to sail in Europe there will be no available info available on the Insurance.

Well, I'm based in Germany and booked a cruise on Splendida (18th Sept, East Med.) today. While I'm searched MSC internet site with my iPad and started booking the cruise during the booking process an announcement regarding COVID-19 popped up. Here it was clearly stated that special insurance is *recommended".

Because of the bit cumbersome cabin selection method I decided to switch to my Windows-PC and started the booking process again. At exactly the same step the announcement appeared again. But now it was clearly stated that special insurance is *required*.

Same MSC internet site, same country, same person, just two different device-types ended up in different information. I like MSC very much, but apparently they lost control over information and information technologie.

I'm still try to figure out, whether the cruise will call in Bari or Brindisi. I found both mentioned for the same cruise. Very likely inconsistent information is a result of the many changes and not all copies of information has been updated correctly.

I'm quite sure, at least for German guests, the information about *required* insurance is outdated and *recommended* is the current one. 

6 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

I'm quite sure, at least for German guests, the information about *required* insurance is outdated and *recommended* is the current one. 

Sidari confirmed that covid specific insurance is mandatory for all European sailings, even for vaccinated passengers

Edited by drsel

13 hours ago, Stockjock said:

And on the MSC USA website, there is not even an option to buy insurance online that I can see.  As mentioned, it can be purchased over the phone, but is far more expensive than what some of the Europeans are reporting ($210 USD for both of us).

I would think that the reason for the much higher cost for US citizens is because should you need to use land based medical treatment in Europe you will be charged whereas for European citizens it will be largely free.

As UK citizens when we purchase travel insurance for the US it costs us much more than buying it for other parts of the world because of your high medical costs.

15 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

Well, I'm based in Germany and booked a cruise on Splendida (18th Sept, East Med.) today. While I'm searched MSC internet site with my iPad and started booking the cruise during the booking process an announcement regarding COVID-19 popped up. Here it was clearly stated that special insurance is *recommended".

Because of the bit cumbersome cabin selection method I decided to switch to my Windows-PC and started the booking process again. At exactly the same step the announcement appeared again. But now it was clearly stated that special insurance is *required*.

Same MSC internet site, same country, same person, just two different device-types ended up in different information. I like MSC very much, but apparently they lost control over information and information technologie.

I'm still try to figure out, whether the cruise will call in Bari or Brindisi. I found both mentioned for the same cruise. Very likely inconsistent information is a result of the many changes and not all copies of information has been updated correctly.

Probably Germany is like Spain(my country). Specific coverage is required, MSC provides a valid option, but you are not required to buy that particular one.

I don't think you can buy it in the port(didn't see anywhere), and I wasn't asked to provide proof but I had the MSC official insurance, so maybe they only ask to those that didn't bought it.

I also know that I can add MSC insurance after reservation, but there is a cut off date after which you have to look elsewhere. I believe that you can't do this in Germany.

For me 25€pp was a no brainer, but I suppose this cost will be higher for foreigners not covered by public health agreements between european countries.

Also, I couldn't find any option for multitrip coverage by MSC, so you need to buy a new policy for each cruise.

2 hours ago, elbarney said:

Probably Germany is like Spain(my country). Specific coverage is required, MSC provides a valid option, but you are not required to buy that particular one.

I don't think you can buy it in the port(didn't see anywhere), and I wasn't asked to provide proof but I had the MSC official insurance, so maybe they only ask to those that didn't bought it.

I also know that I can add MSC insurance after reservation, but there is a cut off date after which you have to look elsewhere. I believe that you can't do this in Germany.

For me 25€pp was a no brainer, but I suppose this cost will be higher for foreigners not covered by public health agreements between european countries.

Also, I couldn't find any option for multitrip coverage by MSC, so you need to buy a new policy for each cruise.

We are fully vaccinated.

We also have antibodies as proof (do they ask for the blood test to show proof of antibodies?)

They regular travel insurance that I buy only covers hospitalization expenses due to Covid, but that may not be enough for MSC.

So I was looking to buy the mandatory Covid specific insurance on the spot (for one or more Cruises) at the Barcelona Cruise terminal.

Is it available for non Europeans?

At what price for each 7 night Cruise?

17 minutes ago, drsel said:

We are fully vaccinated.

We also have antibodies as proof (do they ask for the blood test to show proof of antibodies?)

They regular travel insurance that I buy only covers hospitalization expenses due to Covid, but that may not be enough for MSC.

So I was looking to buy the mandatory Covid specific insurance on the spot (for one or more Cruises) at the Barcelona Cruise terminal.

From the previous reply by @Stockjockit sounds like it is available if you call MSC but it is more expensive than the price for Europeans.

45 minutes ago, drsel said:

We are fully vaccinated.

What I know:

-right now, for boarding a MSC cruise in Spain, you need to either be vaccinated or arrive with a less-than-48hr-old PCR or antigen test.

-You need Covid coverage. They say that it needs to include repatriation(I understand), hospitalization(ok), quarantine(ok) and cancellation(why?).

-If you are Schengen citizen this can be bought to MSC for 25€ pp per cruise.

-The MSC insurance is not available for americans right now.

-No matter if you present a test or are vaccinated, you will be tested at the cruise terminal. 

What I don't know:

-cost of insurance for out-of-schengen people. It seems not to be offered by MSC, maybe when they restart selling cruises in Europe to americans they will provide something similar?

-I'm not sure but almost completely sure that there wasn't a stand for selling insurance at the port in Barcelona, as the people in UK reported. On the other hand it was the first embarkation in a long time and we were in yatch, so we might have bipassed it.

Sorry for not being more helpful

1 hour ago, elbarney said:

What I know:

-right now, for boarding a MSC cruise in Spain, you need to either be vaccinated or arrive with a less-than-48hr-old PCR or antigen test.

-You need Covid coverage. They say that it needs to include repatriation(I understand), hospitalization(ok), quarantine(ok) and cancellation(why?).

-If you are Schengen citizen this can be bought to MSC for 25€ pp per cruise.

-The MSC insurance is not available for americans right now.

-No matter if you present a test or are vaccinated, you will be tested at the cruise terminal. 

What I don't know:

-cost of insurance for out-of-schengen people. It seems not to be offered by MSC, maybe when they restart selling cruises in Europe to americans they will provide something similar?

-I'm not sure but almost completely sure that there wasn't a stand for selling insurance at the port in Barcelona, as the people in UK reported. On the other hand it was the first embarkation in a long time and we were in yatch, so we might have bipassed it.

Sorry for not being more helpful

Thank you so much, you have been extremely helpful!

MSC was always selling cruises to non Shengen residents, in the hope that when Covid is brought under control, foreign tourists will be allowed into Europe and be allowed to embark on all European Cruises.

In fact they never stopped selling Cruises to non Europeans.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:33 PM, Selion said:

No.  A friend booked on Splendida sailing in August, and MSC rep said insurance is not required for fully vaccinated passengers.

My experience follows this. A few days ago, we booked the Seashore TA for Nov 2 from Barcelona. Before I had to call (FFC cash-in), I was met with the on-screen pop-up that unvax'd require insurance. That insurance was available at the time of booking. Before the phone agent hung up, he read the health advisory about insurance--several times.  Each time it was to say that unvax'd passengers must have Covid insurance. 

59 minutes ago, Rhea98 said:

My experience follows this. A few days ago, we booked the Seashore TA for Nov 2 from Barcelona. Before I had to call (FFC cash-in), I was met with the on-screen pop-up that unvax'd require insurance. That insurance was available at the time of booking. Before the phone agent hung up, he read the health advisory about insurance--several times.  Each time it was to say that unvax'd passengers must have Covid insurance. 

Yes just now the MSc rep on call confirmed that covid specific insurance in not mandatory, (but optional) for FULLY VACCINATED passengers, if booked from the US website.

The original vaccination certificate with QR code which can be scanned is mandatory.

Edited by drsel

52 minutes ago, drsel said:

Yes just now the MSc rep on call confirmed that covid specific insurance in not mandatory, (but optional) for FULLY VACCINATED passengers, if booked from the US website.

The original vaccination certificate with QR code which can be scanned is mandatory.

Do you know if there is a way to upload that vaccination certificate?

4 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Today they asked for the insurance independent from vac status....

Sailing out of Kiel Jul 24th

MSC USA is selling Covid specific insurance in advance, for $68 per person per 7 night Cruise.

It's mandatory for passengers without proof of vaccination ( original hard copy of vaccination certificate with QR code), and supposedly optional for FULLY VACCINATED.

I don't think non Shengen residents can buy it on the spot at the Cruise terminal

Else, your regular travel insurance must mention Covid specific cover.