OBC for Cheers Package

Cadman0917

We have a cruise scheduled for January 2022 and our last couple of cruises we had the Cheers package. We are considering doing this again since we enjoy getting specialty coffees, soft drinks, and bottled water in addition to our drinks. We have some OBC for this cruise and wanted to apply it to the Cheers package. I've noticed that the cost is a good bit less if we pre-order it. My question is can we apply this credit to the package or is strickly used for things purchased while on the ship? If that is the case, I've considered dropping the prepayed gratuities and using the OBC toward that. Would that be a possibility? Thanks!

Just now, Sailin_Pirate said:

OBC = On Board Credit so it is used when on the ship.

You can use most types of OBC for cheers/tips while on board.

Ii can understand the question as this isnt always true. For instance rcl you can use obc before you sail.

• Like 1

The Cheers package is something you typically sign up for prior to a cruise...  Why ?  Because it is cheaper.  Once you board the ship, the price increases.

Additionally, Carnival does not want you to use OBC for the Steakhouse, Chefs Table or Cheers.  You CAN use OBC for that, but they don't want you to.  Thus, they require (for the Steakhouse and Chef's Table) reservations prior to boarding.... which eliminates the option of using OBC.

Now... CAN you use OBC for that?  Yes, you can wait and then try to sign up after you board... but you may (or may not) be able to get a reservation... so there is a risk... and in the case of Cheers, signing up after you board actually increases the price.

As to your specific question...  I would definitely drop the pre-paid gratuities.  THAT is what OBC is used for.

Edited by Barsnikel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option (only because of the OBC) is to purchase Cheers on board, but not until the morning of Day 2. Use the 1 bottle of wine per-person you can bring onboard for day one, or just purchase a funship or two. Generally it's not something I would recommend, because the cost differential is only about 17 or so (IIRC) but because of trying to us OBC for it, that's one way to do it. 

Buy Cheers ahead of time to save the onboard 10% increase.  Cancel your prepaid grats and use your OBC towards it.  Assuming you have 600 in OBC, about 200 of it will go towards tips, leaving you 400 to spend.  This is of course assuming there are only 2 of you in the cabin.  3 or 4 would use up more of the OBC for tips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1