When do they normally ticket your flights

bobolz

I am due to set sail in less than 60 days, but checked both MySilversea and the airlines booking number and so far the air reservation has not been ticketed. I called Silverseas and the agent said that it should be booked by today, but still nothing showing yet. Possibly the confirmation  won’t display until tomorrow.  

For those that that will be traveling or have already traveled with Silversea air could you let me know your experience with when I should expect to see the air ticketed? Also when did you receive your cruise documents for this seasons upcoming sailings? 

Thanks in advance!

We are not scheduled to leave for Dubai until 11-13-21 and naturally no tickets yet. In our case, I guess SS is waiting to see where the cruise is actually going- we end in Mumbai and India is still closed, I think.

FYI the agent did confirm that this trip was sailing, it’s going to the UK, wondering if they are holding off until Boris Johnson officially removes the travel restrictions on July 19. 

Also has anyone had to load their  copy of CDC vaccine card to MySilverseas. I believe that is showing as a requirement before setting sale. 

Thanks again

Our cruise is April next year … air tickets were booked last week.  

I sent them a deviation request and got the airline / flights we wanted, and I have now booked seats.

I was told they sort out flights nine months from sailing date.

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Our cruise is April next year … air tickets were booked last week. 

There's a difference between booking and ticketing. Tickets are typically booked -- reserved -- about 9 months in advance. But the cruise line doesn't pay the airline, and the airline doesn't actually ticket the seats, until about 30-45 days in advance. It's nothing to be concerned about; the reservation is solid.

The only limitation you might have is if you want to log onto the airline web site to try to change or upgrade your seating; many airlines don't allow consumers to do that when the seats have been booked but not yet paid for.

I'm dealing with this right now for an upcoming Seabourn cruise in the Caribbean, but I assume Silversea works similarly. We have a tight connection on our outbound trip from Philadelphia to Miami, and seats at the back of the plane, so I'd like to see if we can move up by paying for "main cabin extra" seats so we can get off the plane faster if we need to run -- but I can't until Seabourn pays American for the flights and American tickets them. According to my TA, she could ask Seabourn to ticket them today, since I've already paid in full -- but then if there are any changes involving change fees, they would become my responsibility instead of Seabourn's. Which would defeat why I booked the air through Seabourn in the first place. And so I'll wait and see what's available when they get ticketed in the natural order of things.

The only limitation you might have is if you want to log onto the airline web site to try to change or upgrade your seating; many airlines don't allow consumers to do that when the seats have been booked but not yet paid for.”

We’ve never encountered that problem. I told SS what we wanted and asked for a booking reference. I told them in the morning, they processed it pretty much straight away and we selected the seats the same afternoon. It was the same for the last two bookings.

@MBP&O2/O I think it varies by airline. May also vary by seat class. Again, I have my record locator number; I can log into the airline site, see our trip, associate it with our frequent flier numbers, etc. -- but I can't make changes (such as seat selection) because it's a booking and not yet ticketed seats.

22 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

The only limitation you might have is if you want to log onto the airline web site to try to change or upgrade your seating; many airlines don't allow consumers to do that when the seats have been booked but not yet paid for.”

We’ve never encountered that problem. I told SS what we wanted and asked for a booking reference. I told them in the morning, they processed it pretty much straight away and we selected the seats the same afternoon. It was the same for the last two bookings.

21 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@MBP&O2/O I think it varies by airline. May also vary by seat class. Again, I have my record locator number; I can log into the airline site, see our trip, associate it with our frequent flier numbers, etc. -- but I can't make changes (such as seat selection) because it's a booking and not yet ticketed seats.

Yes, depends on the airline.  I was not able to select seats more than 60 days in advance, even in business but I could on the UA flight.  Helps to get the record locator number to make the attempt.

Leaving 11-13-21 for Dubai and I just got my flights bus. class. The flights and connections are perfect.  Don't even have to go through Heathrow. Non-stop Chicago to Dubai and non-stop Delhi to Chicago. SS must be optimistic about India. Also, I could log into United and see my itinerary.   I am very happy so far!!

59 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Leaving 11-13-21 for Dubai and I just got my flights bus. class. The flights and connections are perfect.  Don't even have to go through Heathrow. Non-stop Chicago to Dubai and non-stop Delhi to Chicago. SS must be optimistic about India. Also, I could log into United and see my itinerary.   I am very happy so far!!

Were you able to select seats?

5 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Yes, depends on the airline.  I was not able to select seats more than 60 days in advance, even in business but I could on the UA flight.  Helps to get the record locator number to make the attempt.

Whoops, left out that I could not select seats on TAP more than 60 days out.

Thanks Jdell for your response and appreciate all the other comments. I’m assuming like ronrick was saying, they will probably wait until as late as possible to make sure that UK does not continue to delay their opening up(removing restrictions) . Luckily when Silverseas booked the flights months ago, they selected the seats for us, so as long as what I see on the airlines record locator number are the flights and seats we will get, I’m ok with the delay. I just wanted to  add my airlines membership code and didn’t think I could do that until it was ticketed. 

Edited by bobolz

14 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Were you able to select seats?

Three of the flights were United and those I could select seats. On the one Emirates flight we could not choose seats. I was able to see all the seat selections and they were perfect.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:44 PM, bobolz said:

FYI the agent did confirm that this trip was sailing, it’s going to the UK, wondering if they are holding off until Boris Johnson officially removes the travel restrictions on July 19. 

Also has anyone had to load their  copy of CDC vaccine card to MySilverseas. I believe that is showing as a requirement before setting sale. 

Thanks again

I had to upload a copy of my vax card as it was required.

Where do you find your record locator number?  We leave in about 50 days and have seen nothing about flight information.  I called them last week and they suggested we would have flights by 30 days out.  That seems really close to me.

3 hours ago, josh1324342 said:

Where do you find your record locator number?  We leave in about 50 days and have seen nothing about flight information.  I called them last week and they suggested we would have flights by 30 days out.  That seems really close to me.

Hi Josh

to get your record locator number you will need to call Silverseas directly. Although your air booking should show up in the details of your cruise booking, there is no RLN on MySilversea. Make sure you ask for the airlines  RLN  #, not the one that Silverseas received when they made the booking with the airline. They are 2 diff #s. Once you receive that airline RLN # you can go onto the airline website and view your booking. Most likely it willl not be formally ticketed, at least mine still is not , which is why I started this post. I was told they formally ticket 60 days out, but maybe they wont until 30 days with all of  these ever-changing travel restrictions by country. 

However, you should still have received a “booking”  by now for your air, unless you just booked this cruise 50 days out. 

Good luck

23 hours ago, bobolz said:

to get your record locator number you will need to call Silverseas directly.

Agree with everything you said, but would just note if your cruise is booked through a travel agent and not direct with Silversea, you should contact your TA. They can find tor record locator number, and can even get your seats assigned (if the airline and class of travel allows it), even though the seats haven't actually been paid for and ticketed.

39 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Agree with everything you said, but would just note if your cruise is booked through a travel agent and not direct with Silversea, you should contact your TA. They can find tor record locator number, and can even get your seats assigned (if the airline and class of travel allows it), even though the seats haven't actually been paid for and ticketed.

I agree. My travel agent sent me my flights and locator number with great seat assignments. I have not yet made the final payment which is due 7-20.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, bobolz said:

Hi Josh

to get your record locator number you will need to call Silverseas directly. Although your air booking should show up in the details of your cruise booking, there is no RLN on MySilversea. Make sure you ask for the airlines  RLN  #, not the one that Silverseas received when they made the booking with the airline. They are 2 diff #s. Once you receive that airline RLN # you can go onto the airline website and view your booking. Most likely it willl not be formally ticketed, at least mine still is not , which is why I started this post. I was told they formally ticket 60 days out, but maybe they wont until 30 days with all of  these ever-changing travel restrictions by country. 

However, you should still have received a “booking”  by now for your air, unless you just booked this cruise 50 days out. 

Good luck

I finally managed to get air booked for our cruise.  This whole process was a nightmare.  I spent almost an hour and a half today on the phone just to get a flight that didn't leave our home airport at 12:30 am.   My tickets were just issued this morning, yet the Silversea rep insisted there would be a cancellation fee.  I've called 4 times over the last 2 week and just keep getting different excuses and answers on airfare so I'm glad it is finally done.  I really hope the cruise goes better than the booking experience.  So far Silversea's customer service is not living up to their reputation.  I would expect much better customer service from a luxury cruise line.  And to answer above, the cruise has been booked for months.  For some reason Silversea just forgot to book the air until I hounded them over the last week.

Yes, booking air through SS can be convoluted especially if you have certain flights in mind which will usually trigger a deviation fee.  All the drama can be alleviated if you book through a TA….they can make all the calls and perhaps would have gotten the ball rolling earlier.  I’ll bet the cruise will be a far better experience!

23 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Yes, booking air through SS can be convoluted especially if you have certain flights in mind which will usually trigger a deviation fee.  All the drama can be alleviated if you book through a TA….they can make all the calls and perhaps would have gotten the ball rolling earlier.  I’ll bet the cruise will be a far better experience!

I would have been fine with a deviation fee, but being told that there was a cancellation fee because it was too close to my sailing really didn't sit well with me when the flights were booked this morning.  I don't feel like the rep was listening to me or my travel agent who was on the line.  I'm sure I'll forget about this experience once we're on the cruise, but I'm just frustrated today.

49 minutes ago, josh1324342 said:

I finally managed to get air booked for our cruise.  This whole process was a nightmare.  I spent almost an hour and a half today on the phone just to get a flight that didn't leave our home airport at 12:30 am.   My tickets were just issued this morning, yet the Silversea rep insisted there would be a cancellation fee.  I've called 4 times over the last 2 week and just keep getting different excuses and answers on airfare so I'm glad it is finally done.  I really hope the cruise goes better than the booking experience.  So far Silversea's customer service is not living up to their reputation.  I would expect much better customer service from a luxury cruise line.  And to answer above, the cruise has been booked for months.  For some reason Silversea just forgot to book the air until I hounded them over the last week.

Josh

sorry to hear about your experience. I’m glad you got your flights all settled. I wonder  If the issue may have been That they had never made your air booking and were scrambling to get you on a flight just 50 days out. Not sure if you are on the same UK cruise we are, but the ticketing is still not complete for us, although the booking and the seat assignments are confirmed on the airline RLN. I’m willing to wait for them to ticket the flight because  I don’t want to be responsible for the air  if the cruise does not sail or some other issue arises , although as of July 14th , Silversea website still has this as a scheduled  sailing. I was concerned when you mentioned their comment to you about you would be responsible for any cancellation fees, not sure if that means if you make changes or if Silverseas?

Hope all goes well and no issues for your upcoming cruise. I believe you will enjoy the Silversea product more than your experience with the travel reservation team 

all the best! 

5 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Josh

sorry to hear about your experience. I’m glad you got your flights all settled. I wonder  If the issue may have been That they had never made your air booking and were scrambling to get you on a flight just 50 days out. Not sure if you are on the same UK cruise we are, but the ticketing is still not complete for us, although the booking and the seat assignments are confirmed on the airline RLN. I’m willing to wait for them to ticket the flight because  I don’t want to be responsible for the air  if the cruise does not sail or some other issue arises , although as of July 14th , Silversea website still has this as a scheduled  sailing. I was concerned when you mentioned their comment to you about you would be responsible for any cancellation fees, not sure if that means if you make changes or if Silverseas?

Hope all goes well and no issues for your upcoming cruise. I believe you will enjoy the Silversea product more than your experience with the travel reservation team 

all the best! 

They were referring to the cancellation fee because I wanted to change flights.  We are headed to the Galapagos so it seems like the cruises will be hopefully not be cancelled.  We are looking forward to it.  It will be our first Silversea cruise.  We decided to do something special for our 20th anniversary.