Cruise line price ranking

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/how-much-does-a-cruise-cost/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=win_a_disney_cruise_for_four_people&utm_term=2021-07-08

The table below shows the average price for a 7-night Caribbean cruise (excluding flights) in a balcony cabin (per person, based on two people sharing).

The price of the drinks package and gratuities are included to enable a fair comparison with those cruise lines which include these in their basic fare.

Note --MSC gratuities are included for UK bookings.

Surprisingly, Royal Caribbean works out more expensive than its own premium line Celebrity ( after including the gratuities and drinks package) !

Cruise line Cruise fare Gratuities Drinks package Total
Costa Cruises $900 (£685) $88 (£67) $308 (£237) $1296 (£989)
MSC Cruises $988 (£750) included $427 (£324) $1415 (£1074)
Carnival $963 (£730) $98 (£74) $364 (£276) $1425 (£1080)
P&O Cruises $1280 (£1000) included $358 (£280) $1638 (£1280)
Princess Cruises $1153 (£900) $102 (£80) $420 (£328) $1675 (£1305)
Marella $1670 (£1300) included included $1670 (£1300)
Celebrity Cruises $1670 (£1300) included included $1670 (£1300)
Royal Caribbean $1150
(£900)
$102 (£80) $483 (£377) $1735 (£1351)
Norwegian Cruise Line $1359 (£1059) $109 (£85) $693 (£542) $2161 (£1686)
Disney Cruise Line $2550
(£2000)
$95 (£74) not available $2645 (£2074)

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I think the rules on cruise lines are different in the UK.

The drink package is included on NCL except a gratuity that's $20 (give or take) a day. So the drink package for a 7 day cruise is around $140 not $693 - a $553 difference. 

Also MSC now includes drink packages but doesn't include the gratuities. 

And they have the Cheers price at $52/day but I think they charge a gratuity on the package making it higher. 

I was just saying last week that we feel that Royal offers one of the worst cost to value ratios. I also mentioned that Celebrity offered better value all things considered apples to apples than it’s parent company. Four cruises booked on four lines and none are on RC. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

The drink package is included on NCL except a gratuity that's $20 (give or take) a day. So the drink package for a 7 day cruise is around $140 not $693 - a $553 difference. 

And they have the Cheers price at $52/day but I think they charge a gratuity on the package making it higher. 

Yes, MSC gratuity is included only for UK bookings (and maybe for a few other country websites).

The NCL price probably refers to the "sail away " basic fare, which does not include any perks.

MSC drink packages are included for select bookings. Usually you have the option of Cruise only

or 

All in with a drinks  package and Wi-Fi

Yea, I got 7 days for two on the new Carnival Panorma for August to the Mexican Riviera from California with inside cabin for $669 total. Royals cheapest price was about 4 times that.l for any cruise around the same time. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I was just saying last week that we feel that Royal offers one of the worst cost to value ratios. I also mentioned that Celebrity offered better value all things considered apples to apples than it’s parent company. Four cruises booked on four lines and none are on RC. 

Exactly, and Celebrity is a 5 premium cruise line, compared to Royal Caribbean, which is 4 or 4.5 .

Which are the four Cruises booked, if I may ask?

Edited by drsel

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

Yes, MSC gratuity is included only for UK bookings (and maybe for a few other country websites).

The NCL price probably refers to the "sail away " basic fare, which does not include any perks.

MSC drink packages are included for select bookings. Usually you have the option of Cruise only

or 

Our 14 day on the new MSC Seashore for  August of next year was $5300. Thats for a balcony for four people , drink package for wife and kids and WiFi. That’s what Royal wants next year same time for all those things for 7 days …. Not 14 like MSC. 

1 minute ago, drsel said:

or 

Using the "sail away" fare isn't an apples to apple comparison since it's GTY rooms. It especially isn't if you're going to be adding the drink package in. And unless prices have gotten crazy that seems high for a sailaway rate. 

At least in the US the all in fares have pretty much always been offered unless you choose a different promo. And silly to compare by selecting a fare that doesn't include drinks then add them in instead of selecting the fares that include it. 

But it's a UK site so I guess it helps if you're getting a cruise there. 

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

CCL Panorama 7 days

Celebrity Apex 7 days

MSC Seashore 14 days 

NCL Escape 7 days 

Thanks, I think Celebrity Apex would be the most expensive Cruise

11 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

And unless prices have gotten crazy that seems high for a sailaway rate. 

And silly to compare by selecting a fare that doesn't include drinks then add them in instead of selecting the fares that include it. But it's a UK site so I guess it helps if you're getting a cruise there. 

NCL prices have become crazy expensive!

These are the prices mentioned by a blogger, Cruise mummy

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, drsel said:

NCL prices have become crazy expensive!

These are the prices mentioned by a blogger, Cruise mummy

Yes, I agree they are now and we have turned our backs on NCL now besides the one we have booked already. Them and RC both. 

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, I agree they are now and we have turned our backs on NCL now besides the one we have booked already. Them and RC both. 

Avoiding NCL right now is a very good decision, because they have a history of HUGE last minute price drops!

With such high prices NCL will find it very difficult to fill all the cabins, which is why history is likely to repeat itself.

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival is offering some fares that include drinks .. or wifi. One or the other. The price is considerably less. They are trying out some more inclusive rates. I got drinks included very cheap my next 2 cruises.

That's a no brainer !

obviously a drinks package is much better value than a Wi-Fi package

52 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yea, I got 7 days for two on the new Carnival Panorma for August to the Mexican Riviera from California with inside cabin for $669 total. Royals cheapest price was about 4 times that.l for any cruise around the same time. 

I saw some less booked cruisers got these special offers. I cant come close to matching your prices, but happy with cheers. I added on 5 day breeze solo rate, anything less than $100 a day I'm in but not great cabin like your balcony deal. 

I think carnival went with vaccinated and had lots of cancelled cabins they filled with targeted special offers without a rhyme or reason.

To the op yes I agree cheers is better than wifi but at 35 for the week, probably wifi is a deal too. My only objection is the offers are so random. This posters balcony deal I'd have liked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I saw some less booked cruisers got these special offers. I cant come close to matching your prices, but happy with cheers. I added on 5 day breeze solo rate, anything less than $100 a day I'm in but not great cabin like your balcony deal. 

I think carnival went with vaccinated and had lots of cancelled cabins they filled with targeted special offers without a rhyme or reason.

I was one of them that got the offer with only two other Carnival cruises taken. Like you said, unknown why. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I'll stick with RCI & Celebrity.....a better option for us....not looking for a cheap experience. JMHO

Rcl has been cheaper for solo rates for pretty much all of the past year.

Drinks on carnival are cheaper if you add them. Steak restaurant is 38, so pay restaurants are cheaper .. you need to look at some of those Havana and new areas that are private ... rcl fares have been cheaper for me as a solo. Carnival went out of sight until a few last minute deals lately.

A random last minute offer to a few isnt everyone got to book that rate. Carnival rates for nicer cabins are thru the roof. That's why I mostly booked rcl. For me cheaper. That chart maybe is for certain cabins. Someone said gty which solo cant book. Rcl has had some solo rates I booked. If I see one i grab it. I watch and have never been able to book a balcony under 1k on carnival, just on rcl, though rcl is now cancelled. 

Carnivals move to private areas away from kids is NOT cheap. Following ncl lead imo. Rcl is fine for the price, but certainly not better. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

We were on MSC cruise in October 2019, in the Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. We had a drink package included that provided us with anything we wanted at no extra charge. The mini fridge was included and stocked with only what we wanted, by the butler who replenished it twice a day. The gratuities was an extra $12.50 p.p. per day.

Best part was the price, it was over $100 p.p. per day than the Sky Suite we had on Celebrity in August of 2019.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival is offering some fares that include drinks .. or wifi. One or the other. The price is considerably less. They are trying out some more inclusive rates. I got drinks included very cheap my next 2 cruises.

A friend of ours has either a 4 or 5 night out of PC next month including the drink package for $600  He is going solo

• Thanks 1