On Edge now - REALLY slow internet speed

Janthere

I am  very low tech so not sure what the speed tests mean   

We have never used  more than 1/2 of our combined  E + minutes... We just use  the e mail to check in at home without  photos. We do not stream movies, play games or use for business purposes but know many others do...

Once ships sail at higher capacity and everyone  is on the  mandated "all included " plan,   won't this really slow access and 

Does anyone think they will ration access??

Anyone remember how pitiful intetnet was on the older ships like Century? 

Edited by hcat

On 7/24/2021 at 11:46 AM, Coochuck said:

In order to use Facetime,Wifi Calling, or Whatsapp, I would assume you need the stream package.  How did that work out for you?

that's the thing -we had the stream package and we didn't used any of Facetime, wifi calling or whatsapp - we were simply trying to surf, upload photos etc. So paying extra got us nothing really. 

On 7/24/2021 at 9:55 AM, janbear said:

We were on that sailing (western Caribbean) as well and the internet worked fine - not super fast but decent and steady.

The Eastern Caribbean week was not great and downright terrible in St Marten and St Thomas and after.  We paid extra for the streaming  wifi and I have no idea how anyone could actually use the regular surfing wifi. 

wonder why there's a difference in internet speeds on the streaming plan between the 2 itineraries?

is the Edge not connecting to satellite but to a local provider near port for internet?

as for the person who only needs 20 min of internet, i use Keepgo's international sim.

Unlike other intl sims who have fluctuating rates depending on country, Keepgo has a flat rate for all the countries in their plan.

and there's no roaming so if the country isnt on their plan, you wont get internet. (Another intl sim i had has SKYHIGH roaming rates. Just turning on my phone in a roaming country ate up $10!)

and i hotspot my phone so my laptop connects to it.

Edited by fstuff1

Internet has greatly improved on this (current) sailing.  It was painfully slow on Embarkation day/Day 1, on Day 2, it was basically unusable (pages wouldn't even load, speed test failed) in the morning until early afternoon and it's been pretty good ever since.  By no means is it fast but generally pages load within 5-10 seconds

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Internet has greatly improved on this (current) sailing.  It was painfully slow on Embarkation day/Day 1, on Day 2, it was basically unusable (pages wouldn't even load, speed test failed) in the morning until early afternoon and it's been pretty good ever since.  By no means is it fast but generally pages load within 5-10 seconds

Just curious, what area(s) of the ship are you mostly trying to access the internet from and are the speeds about the same or different, depending on your location? For us we'll probably do most of our surfing and checking email and CC, of course, in our cabin or on the balcony.

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, what area(s) of the ship are you mostly trying to access the internet from and are the speeds about the same or different, depending on your location? For us we'll probably do most of our surfing and checking email and CC, of course, in our cabin or on the balcony.

We spoke to the internet manager who told us everywhere SHOULD have the same signal strength except outside, in hindsight I should have asked for more specifics as in which exact locations did he mean.  Pretty much been all over the ship with my phone and haven't noticed any difference in location, if it's good/bad in one place its good/bad everywhere.  Worked fine on the pool deck (outside) yesterday.

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We spoke to the internet manager who told us everywhere SHOULD have the same signal strength except outside, in hindsight I should have asked for more specifics as in which exact locations did he mean.  Pretty much been all over the ship with my phone and haven't noticed any difference in location, if it's good/bad in one place its good/bad everywhere.  Worked fine on the pool deck (outside) yesterday.

Thanks! It will be interesting to see how well the router connectivity is in our SS cabin as well as on the balcony when we board when it's our turn to have fun on the Edge in 12 days and a wake-up! 😎