Iona maiden voyage departure

Kittyonions

We are thinking of having a trip to Southampton, to see Iona depart for her maiden on 7th August. As we will be travelling from Brighton on M27, I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions as to where would be a good place to view her departure without getting into Southampton City centre. Was wondering about Hamble, and I am sure some of you local residents could give us some advice. Many thanks!

Hythe is a nice place to sit in your car and watch the ships go off. There’s a Costa in the town where you can grab a take away.

We do really like Calshot. We have kids and it’s got a pebble beach and a ice cream van so what more can you want! 😂 It keeps them entertained if the ship is late departing. You do get quite close and can sometimes hear the sail away music depending on wind direction. These were taken the other day when we watched Ventura going out. 

127BA562-9B9E-4314-AAA5-7C05A0BF2E83.jpeg

CEC136AA-5DE1-4750-B79A-F8BFFCFC8994.jpeg

3FE4B892-18BB-4792-B2BE-7748D0F485E5.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for this thread, I was just going to start a similar one! I was thinking of Hythe but I can image it would be busy. There’s not a huge amount of parking there. I was thinking of getting the Hythe ferry but looking online it looks like the last ferry back is after Iona sails! 

I then thought of Calshott but I’ve never been, is there a decent amount of parking there?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I then thought of Calshott but I’ve never been, is there a decent amount of parking there?

There is a lot of parking at Calshot, both New Forest Council before the barrier and Hampshire Council past the barrier around the hanger.

Address for this is Calshot Spit, Fawley, Southampton, SO45 1BR.

We popped down there for when Iona and Britannia came in a few weeks back, great spot to watch them from.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

There is a lot of parking at Calshot, both New Forest Council before the barrier and Hampshire Council past the barrier around the hanger.

Address for this is Calshot Spit, Fawley, Southampton, SO45 1BR.

We popped down there for when Iona and Britannia came in a few weeks back, great spot to watch them from.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Brilliant thanks very much 😊

• Like 1

There is another option to view Iona on her way out on the SS Shieldhall.  She is on a cruise out to the needles and returning when Iona is departing.  

https://ss-shieldhall.co.uk/booking/cowes-week-cruise-to-the-needles/

We will be waving from probably the promenade deck as we sail out.  Only 11 more sleeps!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I couldn't persuade my husband to go to watch Iona leave but I will be watching on YouTube! I hope you have an amazing time Jaydee, it's been a long wait!

Thanks Sarah, it has been a while coming.  We couldn't have gone on the original maiden as it should have been in the middle of ours youngest son's exams, but now feel lucky we can go.  Disappointed for everyone missing their cruises on Iona, like yourself, we should have been on G009.

I did watch the YouTube departure of our cruise on Britannia when we came home on Sunday and spotted myself drinking champagne as we were setting sail. After seeing how much he can zoom in, I will make sure I am hiding behind someone.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Thanks Sarah, it has been a while coming.  We couldn't have gone on the original maiden as it should have been in the middle of ours youngest son's exams, but now feel lucky we can go.  Disappointed for everyone missing their cruises on Iona, like yourself, we should have been on G009.

I did watch the YouTube departure of our cruise on Britannia when we came home on Sunday and spotted myself drinking champagne as we were setting sail. After seeing how much he can zoom in, I will make sure I am hiding behind someone.🤣

We leave on the Britannia cruise on 8th. Perhaps a night in a hotel on 7th may happen.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Well if you spot the webcam give us all a wave 😊

• Like 1

There is another option to view Iona on her way out on the SS Shieldhall.  She is on a cruise out to the needles and returning when Iona is departing.  

https://ss-shieldhall.co.uk/booking/cowes-week-cruise-to-the-needles/

We will be waving from probably the promenade deck as we sail out.  Only 11 more sleeps!!

I hope you have a an absolute fantastic time. I would love to hear your thoughts and maybe some pictures if you could be so kind 😊 I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that the sun will be shining but I think you’ll have a fab sail away no matter what! 
We are hopefully on Iona for a week in October and I’m trying not to get excited yet. Normally I would have started packing by now 🤣

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 9:25 PM, Kittyonions said:

We are thinking of having a trip to Southampton, to see Iona depart for her maiden on 7th August. As we will be travelling from Brighton on M27, I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions as to where would be a good place to view her departure without getting into Southampton City centre. Was wondering about Hamble, and I am sure some of you local residents could give us some advice. Many thanks!

Hi Kitty i see your coming along the coast from Brighton, to miss the traffic can i suggest you come of the M27 at junction 8 and follow the sign posted Hamble, about three miles see sign for Hamble point and school lane lovely car park and walks with views up the river and across to the I.O.W.

Hi So,ton Saint

Thank you so much for your post. That is exactly the information I was hoping to find, as I figured it would be less stressful to stay on this side of the water,than having to negotiate the city centre.

Your username is spot on!

Kitty.

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

It has been suggested on the book of faces that perhaps there will be fireworks?

From memory, I thought they were having fireworks at the christening, but the bad weather stopped that.  They may still have them ready to let loose.(The display company I mean)

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 1

From memory, I thought they were having fireworks at the christening, but the bad weather stopped that.  They may still have them ready to let loose.(The display company I mean)

Good point!