Surf to stream WiFi price

paulajj

Approximately how much is it to upgrade from surf to stream WiFi for a single device? And how bad is the surf?

I am scheduled for the Reflection in January. Is the WiFi bad on the non refurbished ships? 

thx!!!

While on the subject of WiFi if I order WiFi for one device is it one at a time or only one particular device may ever connect to it?  In other words, can I log off my device and then my husband log onto his if I purchase WiFi for one device?

38 minutes ago, joetop2467 said:

While on the subject of WiFi if I order WiFi for one device is it one at a time or only one particular device may ever connect to it?  In other words, can I log off my device and then my husband log onto his if I purchase WiFi for one device?

When we’ve had 1 device wifi we’ve had to log in and out of each device one at a time. We’ve used a phone and an iPad. 

Upgrading cost is this:

How can a guest upgrade from Surf Wi-Fi to Stream Wi-Fi when they book the Always Included package?

If a guest books their cruise with Always Included package pricing and would like to upgrade their Surf Wi-Fi to Stream Wi-Fi, they may do so via our Cruise Planner platform once their booking is within final payment. The upgrade charge will be $20 per person per day.  Guests may not purchase a Wi-Fi upgrade before final payment when they book Always Included. Alternatively, guests may also upgrade their Surf Wi-fi to Stream Wi-Fi once onboard the ship.

And you might get a discount:

We’ve adjusted the previous Captain’s Club internet discount of 10%-35% to reflect these changes and provide exclusive value. Now,  if you sail with Always Included, you can apply this discount to upgrade from the Surf to Stream package. If you do not sail with Always Included, you can apply the 10% - 35% discount to any internet package. And if you book pre-cruise, your discount is combinable with the additional 10% pre-cruise advantage.  Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios.

There is some discrepancy over those free stream minutes depending on where you look.

• Like 1

Just now, HskrCrsr said:

There is some discrepancy over those free stream minutes depending on where you look.

I should amend that statement. On 7/28 the Captain's Club matrix was changed to show that these complimentary stream minutes are provided for Elite and higher. Previous to this, the minutes were only if one did not sail with Always Included:

image.png.340ae4112484f9c5bdeb5acd88530cf5.png

vs

image.png.b39ea60b91e565e69dce91dfef7545a7.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

Upgrading cost is this:

How can a guest upgrade from Surf Wi-Fi to Stream Wi-Fi when they book the Always Included package?

If a guest books their cruise with Always Included package pricing and would like to upgrade their Surf Wi-Fi to Stream Wi-Fi, they may do so via our Cruise Planner platform once their booking is within final payment. The upgrade charge will be $20 per person per day.  Guests may not purchase a Wi-Fi upgrade before final payment when they book Always Included. Alternatively, guests may also upgrade their Surf Wi-fi to Stream Wi-Fi once onboard the ship.

And you might get a discount:

We’ve adjusted the previous Captain’s Club internet discount of 10%-35% to reflect these changes and provide exclusive value. Now,  if you sail with Always Included, you can apply this discount to upgrade from the Surf to Stream package. If you do not sail with Always Included, you can apply the 10% - 35% discount to any internet package. And if you book pre-cruise, your discount is combinable with the additional 10% pre-cruise advantage.  Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios.

You are awesome! That’s exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 11:33 AM, HskrCrsr said:

Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios.

Can someone clarify how it will work....We're Elite so should receive 90 minutes each of Stream WIFI but we're also sailing with "All Included".  Will we downgrade to Surf when/if we use up our Stream? 

1 hour ago, katanga said:

Can someone clarify how it will work....We're Elite so should receive 90 minutes each of Stream WIFI but we're also sailing with "All Included".  Will we downgrade to Surf when/if we use up our Stream? 

Put simply the Always Included pricing has basicaly wiped out your CC free minutes. As it's basicaly impossible to cruise without the AI - a few cruises in guarantee cabins and very small discounts - the benefits have gone. Just like the free lattes, teas, chocolate, water and juices for Elite +, and the free drinks every evening for Elite and above all gone. The only real benefit left is the free bag of laundryl

8 hours ago, katanga said:

Well that does suck....Thanks for the reply The Penguins

Yet again, The Penguins has suggested things are worse than they actually are. Your question above was how to switch from surf to stream, and the response you got was basically that you don't get the free stream minutes. For Elite and higher, Celebrity clearly says otherwise:

Now,  if you sail with Always Included, you can apply this discount to upgrade from the Surf to Stream package. If you do not sail with Always Included, you can apply the 10% - 35% discount to any internet package. And if you book pre-cruise, your discount is combinable with the additional 10% pre-cruise advantage.  Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios. 

I have no idea how the surf vs. stream will be handled and would not hazard a guess.

The response was also wrong about the free drinks every evening. The drinks are still offered as before, but the venue is not limited to the Sky Lounge:

The cocktail hour will no longer take place in the lounge. Now, you’ll be able to enjoy unlimited drinks from the Captain’s Club menu daily from 5pm to 7pm at bars and lounges throughout your ship

I strongly suggest reading what people on cruises are saying about other benefits such as the daily coffee rather than the inanity coming from someone who apparently has little actual clue. (Note: I also have little clue. I mostly copy & paste what Celebrity says and try not to distort it. There are people on here with actual knowledge and experience. Listen to them.)

5 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

Yet again, The Penguins has suggested things are worse than they actually are. Your question above was how to switch from surf to stream, and the response you got was basically that you don't get the free stream minutes. For Elite and higher, Celebrity clearly says otherwise:

Now,  if you sail with Always Included, you can apply this discount to upgrade from the Surf to Stream package. If you do not sail with Always Included, you can apply the 10% - 35% discount to any internet package. And if you book pre-cruise, your discount is combinable with the additional 10% pre-cruise advantage.  Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios. 

I have no idea how the surf vs. stream will be handled and would not hazard a guess.

The response was also wrong about the free drinks every evening. The drinks are still offered as before, but the venue is not limited to the Sky Lounge:

The cocktail hour will no longer take place in the lounge. Now, you’ll be able to enjoy unlimited drinks from the Captain’s Club menu daily from 5pm to 7pm at bars and lounges throughout your ship

I strongly suggest reading what people on cruises are saying about other benefits such as the daily coffee rather than the inanity coming from someone who apparently has little actual clue. (Note: I also have little clue. I mostly copy & paste what Celebrity says and try not to distort it. There are people on here with actual knowledge and experience. Listen to them.)

I am sorry if I have confused you I will try again:

Captains Club Drinks: with AI we have to have a drinks package so all drinks are included in the price - therefore we are now paying for something we used to get as benefit. How does Celebrity give free drinks when we have a package?

Internet: with AI we get an unlimited package that we pay for in the price. How does Celebtity add free minutes to an unlimited package? We used to get free minutes as a benefit.

The only way to avoid AI pricing is to book a guarantee cabin which are now only available on a very few cruises and even then the reduction is tiny.

For anyone who is Elite+, doesn't drink alcohol and doesn't need an unlimited Internet package the AI pricing has increased the price of a cruise by upto 80% for no benefit.

Celebrity are aware of this problem but the only way to fix it is to revert to the old pricing structure where you could choose to add drinks, Internet or whatever to a basic price.

1 hour ago, bigbeergut said:

Has anyone actually gone into their cruise planner and tried to upgrade the wifi?  I've tried but don't see any options for an upgrade.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mine says I have to phone to upgrade. 

kinda feel bad that I started the never ending elite benefit argument tho lol 

Also, I wondered just how bad the surf wifi is? 

1 minute ago, paulajj said:

Mine says I have to phone to upgrade. 

kinda feel bad that I started the never ending elite benefit argument tho lol 

Also, I wondered just how bad the surf wifi is? 

So who do you call?   Captain's Club?  Any reservations agent even if you used a TA?

I called the Enhancement number and was overcharged for 1 week streaming upgrade.  Call Captains Club where I had to call back to get it corrected.  With Elite + it was $ 11.70/day or $81.90.  Doing the math, without a discount, upgrade is $18.  Onboard it's $20.  You save 10% doing it ahead of time.  I'm on Equinox now and streaming isn't as fast as it's been before but better than without it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios.

This is what I was hoping Celebrity would do...thank you for clarifying for me HskrCrsr.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

So who do you call?   Captain's Club?  Any reservations agent even if you used a TA?

UPGRADE YOUR EXISTING WI-FI PACKAGE AND/OR ADD MORE DEVICES BY CALLING 1.800.722.5941 (US/CANADA).
PRE-CRUISE DISCOUNTS NOT AVAILABLE ONBOARD.
VIEW CONTACT NUMBERS OUTSIDE OF THE US

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I called the Enhancement number and was overcharged for 1 week streaming upgrade.  Call Captains Club where I had to call back to get it corrected.  With Elite + it was $ 11.70/day or $81.90.  Doing the math, without a discount, upgrade is $18.  Onboard it's $20.  You save 10% doing it ahead of time.  I'm on Equinox now and streaming isn't as fast as it's been before but better than without it.

Hi Ruth, glad you are enjoying the cruise. We sail on Silhouette on Friday and look forward to seeing you onboard her in April. Geoff and the boss {Anita)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulajj said:
UPGRADE YOUR EXISTING WI-FI PACKAGE AND/OR ADD MORE DEVICES BY CALLING 1.800.722.5941 (US/CANADA).
PRE-CRUISE DISCOUNTS NOT AVAILABLE ONBOARD.
VIEW CONTACT NUMBERS OUTSIDE OF THE US

Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I'm sitting in Oceanview using phone data here in Nassau.  My tablet is on ship's streaming wifi.  Don't think anyone will be streaming much of anything with this download. How about a 560 ping.

20210802_121133.jpg

Obviously not ideal but should be do-able for Netflix as Netflix states that they require 0.5 - 1.5MB/second minimum for streaming with 3MB for standard definition, 5MB for HD and 25MB for 4k. Can't say what other streaming services would require though.

Edited by ETHTrader

22 minutes ago, ETHTrader said:

Obviously not ideal but should be do-able for Netflix as Netflix states that they require 0.5 - 1.5MB/second minimum for streaming with 3MB for standard definition, 5MB for HD and 25MB for 4k. Can't say what other streaming services would require though.

It's inconsistent.  First scan was .05 Mbps.  Ship's wifi kept failing when I tried to load a photo.  Finally got there but I'll be using my phone in ports.  Less frustration. 😉

1 minute ago, goofysmom99 said:

It's inconsistent.  First scan was .05 Mbps.  Ship's wifi kept failing when I tried to load a photo.  Finally got there but I'll be using my phone in ports.  Less frustration. 😉

So its safe to assume the surf included pkg will be near to useless I guess.  

Was on the Edge sailing last week, bought the slower internet (didn't have the AI fare) package.  It was unusable Day 2 so we went to guest services; just some datapoints:

- We asked if the basic just blocked streaming or if the premium was actually faster than the basic, they called the ilounge who stated premium's at least twice as fast.

- You can upgrade later in the sailing and only pay by the day so maybe if you have a port day on Day 2 upgrade on your next sea day if you want to save a little.

- They told us they'll upgrade us for 24 hours, if we want to downgrade back to basic within 24 hours they'll do so not even charge us.

- They applied the 10% CC level discount without me even asking.

- One our sailing it was bad day 1, day 2 from morning-2pm it was practically unusable with about 95% of the time, you click something and within 30-60 seconds, the page fails to load.  Like magic at 2pm through the rest of the cruise internet was pretty good yet that isn't to say there are occasional laggy times.  We had LLP on this sailing and a few suite pax told me when she asked suite pax how the cruise was going most said everything was great but the internet, very possible she authorized the ship to spend money to increase the bandwidth.