Taking prescription medications into Iceland

rkm67

I’ve read that we may need permission to take “controlled” prescription medications into Iceland. Has anyone had an issue with this? If so, what procedure did you go through? It was recommended that I call the Iceland embassy, which I plan to do.

Did anyone have a problem taking over the counter supplements into Iceland?

I think it depends on what specific "medications" you are wanting to bring.  I brought my meds in and had no difficulty but none were of the variety that (other than needing a prescription) might send up some red flags.  OTC meds and supplements would probably be fine unless you are thinking of any of the CBD, THC, marijuana based products which are available OTC in many states these days.  Those I would leave at home!

1 hour ago, rkm67 said:

I’ve read that we may need permission to take “controlled” prescription medications into Iceland. Has anyone had an issue with this? If so, what procedure did you go through? It was recommended that I call the Iceland embassy, which I plan to do.

Did anyone have a problem taking over the counter supplements into Iceland?

We brought blood pressure, IBS etc meds as well as OTC aspirin etc with no problem.  Also brought supplements in little zip lock baggies with name like Vitamin C written on the outside.  Prescription meds were in carry on.  Supplements and OTC in checked.  Viking prohibits bringing any CBD oil whether from Hemp or Cannabis on board as well as any edibles or vape products.  Now if you mean controlled like Oxy or Vicadin, that may need approval.

I’m referring to anti-anxiety, anti-depression and pain medicines. We haven’t travelled internationally since my husband started taking these and didn’t consider they may be illegal in Iceland.

3 hours ago, rkm67 said:

I’m referring to anti-anxiety, anti-depression and pain medicines. We haven’t travelled internationally since my husband started taking these and didn’t consider they may be illegal in Iceland.

If it were me, I wouldn’t worry at all about personal use prescription medication. Because, a.) I’m pretty sure countries allow personal use with prescription; b.) they generally are not going to check your luggage if you go through the green zone “nothing to declare”; c.) we were in Iceland in June and I have tons of vitamin/herb supplements in small pill pocket bags for daily consumption and had no troubles—and one of us has at least one of the meds you mention and had no trouble. 

When we went into Chile in Feb/March 2020, I checked the government website, worrying about being able to take my copious supplements but it was clear that personal use was no problem. You could check the Iceland government website to be sure but I think you will have no problem.

You won’t want to take my word for it of course, but we’ve been traveling for 45 years and never had a problem with personal use prescription medications or vitamin/herbal supplements.

Final thoughts: governments are looking for smugglers/dealers and if you have your prescription you’re clearly not that. I have also sometimes brought a prescription from my doctor in case I lose important medication while traveling and need to get a refill in the country where I’m traveling. Never had to use it, though, and of course some countries might not refill certain controlled substances unless you can see a doctor in that country.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rkm67 said:

Here is a link to the Icelandic Medicines Agency which may help with determining if your meds are acceptable. Every country has different standards, which is why prior to travel, I research the requirements of each country we visit.

It is always recommended to check the requirements, as in some countries the penalties are severe. Iceland may not be one of them, but still better to confirm.

https://www.ima.is/inspections/importation_by_individuals/

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1