NCL Epic from Barcelona

Nolsie

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We got "lucky," and I say that in quotations because when I called the airline to explain what was happening with Italy, the representative said our flight to LHR had been cancelled. Since they cancelled and not me, they were able to rebook us with no change fee and no increase in price. I'd give your airline a call and see what they can do. Good luck! ☺️

I love the 'last to touch' policy. If you didn't know this already, if an airline changes your flight (if only by 15 minutes) they will typically make changes free of charge as long as they were the last to touch the reservation. That's why, once the airline makes a change, it's always good to leave any reservation changes you want to make until the very last minute. Let them be the 'last to touch' until you can't wait any longer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

And now their 5th September sailing from Barcelona has just disappeared off their website.  Customer service don't know why.  How can a company just remove sailings and not post information to potential and current customers.  It's very poor.  8th Sept from Rome still showing on site, but "fully booked".

It is now back again! All categories except Inside available.

• Like 1

This has turned into quite a hot potato.

First time checking back for a few days, so thanks all for the contributions. As a UK traveller, there is still huge uncertainty around Italy, and the Italian governments requirement for visitors to isolate for 5 days.

When I asked the NCL cruise consultant - and I think it was Macie - she was pretty clear on stating the 36 hour transit clause, and that we would be OK to do our own excursions whilst in Italian ports. I clarified it, and yes, that means own, independent excursions !!

However, I do not think for one second that is honestly the case. The 36 hour clause applies if transitting in a private vehicle - would a cruise ship be classified as a private vehicle ?

I just dont know what will happen. Will we be denied boarding, will we just not let off the ship, or will we be allowed to visit the ports given somehow the ship is considered to be compliant with the 36 hour transit clause.

Just so many unknowns. As it stands, we have flights and this cruise booked. The news from the UK government today around changes to the traffic light system is largely positive with more countries being moved to the green list (though not Spain or Italy yet), and France being moved to regular Amber list. It suggests that things are moving in the right direction, but some clarity from NCL is much needed on how we will fare when it comes to visiting Italy.

We are keeping a close eye on that 15 days to go FCC date. If we dont get clarity before then, we may be forced to cancel, which would be a huge shame.

18 minutes ago, Nolsie said:

This has turned into quite a hot potato.

First time checking back for a few days, so thanks all for the contributions. As a UK traveller, there is still huge uncertainty around Italy, and the Italian governments requirement for visitors to isolate for 5 days.

When I asked the NCL cruise consultant - and I think it was Macie - she was pretty clear on stating the 36 hour transit clause, and that we would be OK to do our own excursions whilst in Italian ports. I clarified it, and yes, that means own, independent excursions !!

However, I do not think for one second that is honestly the case. The 36 hour clause applies if transitting in a private vehicle - would a cruise ship be classified as a private vehicle ?

I just dont know what will happen. Will we be denied boarding, will we just not let off the ship, or will we be allowed to visit the ports given somehow the ship is considered to be compliant with the 36 hour transit clause.

Just so many unknowns. As it stands, we have flights and this cruise booked. The news from the UK government today around changes to the traffic light system is largely positive with more countries being moved to the green list (though not Spain or Italy yet), and France being moved to regular Amber list. It suggests that things are moving in the right direction, but some clarity from NCL is much needed on how we will fare when it comes to visiting Italy.

We are keeping a close eye on that 15 days to go FCC date. If we dont get clarity before then, we may be forced to cancel, which would be a huge shame.

When you travel on a ship you are classed in transit, that’s why when in port you never need passports. You will be allowed in Italy.

• Like 1

Thanks Trimone,

That is certainly what we are hoping, although I would just be happy being able to board. We have been lucky enough to visit a few of these destinations before, so not bursting to do any excursions - it is so port intense that it is actually tiring trying to do something each day. Especially the NCL tours that invariably begin at 7AM in the morning.

So, we would be happy just enjoying the ship and the drinks package, with some warm sunshine. But if we did have the option to go ashore, and Florence is my absolute favourite place in the world, then that would just be great. I just hope that we are able to board in the first place.

I guess a lot can still change anyway, Spain may be added to the Red List or not, Italy may relax its isolation rules, etc. Its very much a risk v reward situation, and just erring on the reward side as it stands !!

Cheers

Nolsie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

When you travel on a ship you are classed in transit, that’s why when in port you never need passports. You will be allowed in Italy.

You're not arriving via the ship though, you're arriving on a flight then heading TO a ship. The transitting rule is based on those who are driving through Italy and will be in the country less than 36 hours.

I spoke to NCL yesterday and they said they can not confirm on the rules until 30th August when they will be reviewed.

The embassy have said we would need to quarantine.

There's TOO much uncertainty 😞

ScratchTheRat,

I guess its worth mentioning that I am actually picking the sailing up on the 5th September in Barcelona, so Trimone is responding on that basis, as we are not boarding in Rome.

That is a whole other kettle of fish 🙂

Cheers

Nolsie

29 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

You're not arriving via the ship though, you're arriving on a flight then heading TO a ship. The transitting rule is based on those who are driving through Italy and will be in the country less than 36 hours.

I spoke to NCL yesterday and they said they can not confirm on the rules until 30th August when they will be reviewed.

The embassy have said we would need to quarantine.

There's TOO much uncertainty 😞

We are travelling to Italy by ship?

19 hours ago, Trimone said:

That meshes with the wording on the digital passenger locator form site. Plus, the way the form is written if you choose a cruise ship, you have to choose a final destination port in Italy, but ours is Barcelona. 

On the locator form site it says:

Who has to complete the digital Passenger Locator Form?

Passengers travelling to one of the below countries (as their final destination) should complete a passenger locator form via the European Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF)

• Italy
• Malta

For those of us getting on in Barcelona, Italy is not our final destination but intermediate ports. Not sure if this is how it works. Seems like nothing is super clear regarding disembarking at a cruise port for a few hours. 

Did anyone from NCL say if we have to fill out the locator form and separate declaration to get off in Italy for shore excursions?

27 minutes ago, soloscientist said:

That meshes with the wording on the digital passenger locator form site. Plus, the way the form is written if you choose a cruise ship, you have to choose a final destination port in Italy, but ours is Barcelona. 

On the locator form site it says:

Who has to complete the digital Passenger Locator Form?

Passengers travelling to one of the below countries (as their final destination) should complete a passenger locator form via the European Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF)

• Italy
• Malta

For those of us getting on in Barcelona, Italy is not our final destination but intermediate ports. Not sure if this is how it works. Seems like nothing is super clear regarding disembarking at a cruise port for a few hours. 

Did anyone from NCL say if we have to fill out the locator form and separate declaration to get off in Italy for shore excursions?

Scratch that. MSC’s site seems to indicate you have to fill out the locator form for Italy. 

(UK citizen) I’m on the Epic from Barcelona on 26th September. We booked a whole package with cruise 118 in May last year and they still haven’t given us flight details and say they can’t until 14 days before! So we can’t arrange getting to the airport etc 

I thought as we are double jabbed we didn’t need a pcr test to fly to Spain? 

As I’ve previously mentioned I’m supposed to be joining the ship in Rome on 8 September. I think the best thing to do is wait and see (as things change so rapidly) and check what is required (forms, tests etc) about a week before we go. I won’t get excited or particularly plan ports etc before that.

I’m hoping that if we can’t embark in Rome (due to quarantine) we will get a full refund 🤞

2 hours ago, Jayneykul said:

Hi notts we are due to board epic in Rome 15.9.21 but can’t see this going ahead at all. I’ve asked for a call back from our cruise consultant to discuss other options as it’s stressing me out now!

It will be going ahead. Just maybe not with UK passengers. NCL are mainly a US passenger line and they wont need to quarantine.

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

I just checked Italian Covid cases it’s nothing like the U.K. much lower, our R number has also dropped this week, I can see Italy dropping 5days quarantine before September. 

I hope you're right bud ❤️

4 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

It will be going ahead. Just maybe not with UK passengers. NCL are mainly a US passenger line and they wont need to quarantine.

Having been on this cruise twice before, the large percentage of passengers are U.K. and European, it’s like a British party ship