Live from the Majestic Princess - August 8, 2021

azbirdmom

On 8/9/2021 at 6:28 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

No, and this is creating some major heartburn for DH. We are accustomed to meeting with the maitre d’, and getting a table for two generally next to a window which we never miss without notifying them in advance. 

DMW (DH calls it Dine the computer’s way) simply assigns a table. Last night we were seated in a traffic zone with possibly the worst service we’ve ever had. It took an hour to get our first course. Tonight we went early and asked for a different table and server, preferably by a window. We were begrudgingly assigned a two top just one table away from the window. Those people never even showed up. But our service was fantastic. We asked for this table for the rest of the cruise but couldn’t be accommodated. So tomorrow we may be back to the bad table/ bad server.  No one seems  to care that we are really displeased. I can’t face going through something similar for the entire time we’re doing extended cruising in the future. 

Have not read all the way through- but maybe way back when on this cruise your experience changed for the better?

My mom & husband are on The Majestic now and what you described is pretty much their experience too. She is beyond frustrated, they blame not accommodating them to CoVid.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:34 PM, arizonaperson said:

Have not read all the way through- but maybe way back when on this cruise your experience changed for the better?

My mom & husband are on The Majestic now and what you described is pretty much their experience too. She is beyond frustrated, they blame not accommodating them to CoVid.

Sorry, I just saw your question. We took advantage of a slow period at lunch one day to have a talk with the Restaurant Manager and then he came back with the DRO (Maitre d’) and we spoke with both of them for probably 10 minutes. I’m sure it became apparent to them that seating and dinner service was one of the most important parts of cruising to us, and from then on they tried very hard to accommodate us. I felt like we finally became a name instead of just a number in DMW that day. We stayed on for the next cruise and were assigned a wonderful table and waitstaff for that one. 

My husband always used to meet with the the Maitre d’ on embarkation day to arrange our dinner reservations for the duration of our cruising period (up to 5 months in a row). It was that important to us. DMW treated us as if we placed no more importance on the dining experience than someone for whom it was just one small part of their cruise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Sorry, I just saw your question. We took advantage of a slow period at lunch one day to have a talk with the Restaurant Manager and then he came back with the DRO (Maitre d’) and we spoke with both of them for probably 10 minutes. I’m sure it became apparent to them that seating and dinner service was one of the most important parts of cruising to us, and from then on they tried very hard to accommodate us. I felt like we finally became a name instead of just a number in DMW that day. We stayed on for the next cruise and were assigned a wonderful table and waitstaff for that one. 

My husband always used to meet with the the Maitre d’ on embarkation day to arrange our dinner reservations for the duration of our cruising period (up to 5 months in a row). It was that important to us. DMW treated us as if we placed no more importance on the dining experience than someone for whom it was just one small part of their cruise. 

We are currently on the Majestic and are having a great dining experience.  We always meet with the Maitre'd (now the Director of Restaurant Operations) on the first day and arrange the same table, at the same time.

This was arranged with no problems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

They( my mom)  have since rectified the situation or shall I say Majestic Princess  has. The first few days it didn’t seem to matter -they spoke to People in charge. I don’t know who they spoke to of course I’m getting this second hand. I just know they were not happy with their dining service. And just as they were assured that everything was OK they show up the next night and things were wrong. Everything seems to be OK  now,thank God it is  a 10 day cruise because it took several days to get rectified. Just reading your post from your experience this past summer was just so similar to theirs.

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

We are currently on the Majestic and are having a great dining experience.  We always meet with the Maitre'd (now the Director of Restaurant Operations) on the first day and arrange the same table, at the same time.

This was arranged with no problems.

Did the Maitre’d have embarkation day office hours publicized in the Patter as in the past?  I’m on the CB now and there was nothing noted in Our embarkation day Patter.

There was no published time to meet with the DRO on embarkation day on our Majestic Princess cruises. There was none on our Emerald Princess cruise in October either; however, that was a different situation. There were fewer than 800 passengers on board, we were most traveled and it was a milestone cruise for us. My husband went to speak with a Restaurant Manager at embarkation day lunch, DRO Rui happened to be standing right there, and he seemed to know who we were (not sure if that was a good thing or bad 😆). He assigned us a wonderful table and, in fact, seated us himself the first night at dinner. 

I have no idea how it will be handled if we cruise with Princess again, but would feel more confident if I hear that there is now a time published in the embarkation day Patter to meet with the DRO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I have no idea how it will be handled if we cruise with Princess again, but would feel more confident if I hear that there is now a time published in the embarkation day Patter to meet with the DRO. 

I agree.  Passengers should not be expected to - or even know how to - hunt down the DRO with what used to be routine and mostly simple requests in the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Did the Maitre’d have embarkation day office hours publicized in the Patter as in the past?  I’m on the CB now and there was nothing noted in Our embarkation day Patter.

No office hours.  We know several of the head-waiters onboard (now called Restaurant Managers) and asked one of them to locate the Maitre'd (I have a difficult time referring to them as the DRO or the DORO) for us.