Evening turn down service

Jay23

This is a a question for a guest on board ........  Is there an evening stateroom preparation and turndown service including replacement towels etc?  I ask because I have just read that the UK P & O  ship Orion does not have this service any more.   I am sure I can live without it but it is a luxury that I enjoy when cruising.......  J 

Jay23, Yes, turndown service is provided.  We are currently on Sky and we are waiting in the Explorer Lounge as our room is being tidied up.  Attendant also delivers the Viking Daily, the Covid testing tubes, clean laundry, etc.  Really a nice service.

• Like 2

Viking is distinctly a non United States based company. Their business model & product presentation definitely march to the beat of their own drummer. To me that's a welcome refreshing change from how mass market cruise lines operate. 

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jay23 said:

This is a a question for a guest on board ........  Is there an evening stateroom preparation and turndown service including replacement towels etc?  I ask because I have just read that the UK P & O  ship Orion does not have this service any more.   I am sure I can live without it but it is a luxury that I enjoy when cruising.......  J 

The P&O ship you quoted is probably their latest newbuild Iona, as they haven't had a ship named Orion for many years.

I recall reading about P&O reducing to single daily cabin cleaning at least a couple of years ago. Yet another Carnivalisation of a once proud cruise line. The cabin stewards will no doubt get loaded up with even more cabins.

Totally sad.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Viking is distinctly a non United States based company. Their business model & product presentation definitely march to the beat of their own drummer. To me that's a welcome refreshing change from how mass market cruise lines operate. 

Oceania Cruise Lines caters to mostly Americans and Canadians and they do evening turn down service.  I assumed every cruise line did it, but maybe not.

• Like 1

I think turn down service makes things special. They not only tidy up the room but replace towels which is really nice if you take a shower before dinner. The room stewards are special people and I tip them extra - they work extremely hard.

• Like 6

On 8/15/2021 at 11:19 PM, Heidi13 said:

The P&O ship you quoted is probably their latest newbuild Iona, as they haven't had a ship named Orion for many years.

I recall reading about P&O reducing to single daily cabin cleaning at least a couple of years ago. Yet another Carnivalisation of a once proud cruise line. The cabin stewards will no doubt get loaded up with even more cabins.

Totally sad.

Yes.  It is the new ship Orion that I read about.   We travelled with P & O for many years in the 20s and the service was exemplary.  However, we became more and more disappointed with P & O and changed to other lines which provided the sort of cruising we preferred.  ( albeit at a higher price of course). Thanks everyone for their reassurance that service hasn't slipped on Viking.   J