SHIP CAPACITY

Cruiz'nBaers

3 hours ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

Thinking about a cruise to the Caribbean in October, was wondering at what capacity the ships are sailing.  Are they sailing at full or reduced capacity? 

The Eurodam was going to sail at 100% capacity on August 15th, I don’t think they did as it doesn’t appear those cruises are selling very well.  There are rooms available in the future sailings in every category.

32 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The Eurodam was going to sail at 100% capacity on August 15th, I don’t think they did as it doesn’t appear those cruises are selling very well.  There are rooms available in the future sailings in every category.

Reported by Seth, the HAL ambassador that the passenger count was around 800. We have friends onboard, but they have not confirmed the actual number, just that there is a lot of space available!

1 hour ago, tjcox9 said:

Reported by Seth, the HAL ambassador that the passenger count was around 800. We have friends onboard, but they have not confirmed the actual number, just that there is a lot of space available!

I suspected it was well short of full, thanks for the report.

I think that the percentage of passengers onboard will vary as more sailings are conducted. It will depend on if any passenger tests positive aboard. For example, we sailed on the fourth weekly cruise that Viking scheduled for their startup cruises in Iceland. Their ships have a capacity of 930. The first weekly cruise sailed with around 400 passengers, second cruise around 600, third cruise around 700, and our cruise had 860 passengers.

But the third cruise (the one before ours) had a passenger test positive with the daily PCR tests that are conducted onboard. Police were sent after excursion buses, ports were closed to them, and the cruise returned early. It appears that the current sailings are at less capacity than our cruise perhaps to lower the chance of positive tests. Most of those infected are testing positive on day 3 or 4 so might indicate exposre during the flight, etc. 

But a subsquent cruise had a passenger test positive and was contact traced to an excursion bus. All passengers of the bus were quarantined even though testing negative. 26 of those passengers were given the option of leaving the ship and flew back to the US the next day. Now future passengers are cancelling excursions or even the cruise as well. It is still not over.

18 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I suspected it was well short of full, thanks for the report.

Heard from our friends who are onboard and they confirmed the 800 number with 400 US and the rest other...............NO Canadians and I'm sure there are no Aussies either.

44 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Heard from our friends who are onboard and they confirmed the 800 number with 400 US and the rest other...............NO Canadians and I'm sure there are no Aussies either.

No Kiwi’s either I am sure.  So 1/2 American and probably most of the rest European.  

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1