Seabourn Ovation hairdryers

CRUISER94044

Hi all,

I am scheduled to embark on Seabourn Ovation on Sept 11.  I have been on many cruise ships with really lousy hairdryers that barely do the job and am debating whether to pack my own.  Does anyone happen to have a photo of the blowdryer that is on the Ovation?    (We will be doing a two week cruise with our carryon suitcase only.... so I desperately need to curtail my packing list).   Thanks for any advice you may have.!

I didn’t take a photo of the hairdryer but it would be okay if you don’t have much hair or are not particular about your hair.    Since you are only taking a carry on, it probably won’t be a problem for you as you are definitely not high maintenance.   We were on for two week and had two carry ons plus three checked bags.   I had my own hairdryer plus many other necessities in addition to clothing.

I need to take a tutorial on how one can pack for a two-week cruise with everything from beachwear to dress-up clothing with only a carry-on! 😉 

Just two pair of my size-13 shoes would fill half my carry-on! My wife and I end up each filling a checked bag to near the 50 pound limit.

• Like 2

We are in a situation where we have a short layover coming home and won’t have time for bags to clear customs. I am lucky in that My black cocktail dresses don’t take up much room and pants and nice shorts share the same dressier sleeveless shirts. Then there is more camping wear to round out the wardrobe. I pack a carry on and a good sized duffle. DH has shoes that are a soft leather and no longer packs a tux just a sports jacket with a couple pairs of shorts. Some slacks and shirts.  Oh yeah. We now take our kindle. No room for books

10 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I need to take a tutorial on how one can pack for a two-week cruise with everything from beachwear to dress-up clothing with only a carry-on! 😉 

Just two pair of my size-13 shoes would fill half my carry-on! My wife and I end up each filling a checked bag to near the 50 pound limit.

Same here and every time my wife tells me we are taking way too much of MY stuff. I never say a word.

😍

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CRUISER94044 said:

Of course there is always the trick of sneaking stuff into my husbands backpack when he isn’t looking. 😎Seriously my biggest challenge is carefully selecting outfits that limit the number of shoes I take. Not an easy task

I find shoes to be the biggest packing decision as well.  I am content with the Seabourn hairdryer offered.  I have long straightish hair.  The dryer works for me, but might not be strong enough for someone who does a lot of styling and needs a strong hair dryer for that.  

On 8/22/2021 at 12:48 AM, CRUISER94044 said:

Hi all,

I am scheduled to embark on Seabourn Ovation on Sept 11.  I have been on many cruise ships with really lousy hairdryers that barely do the job and am debating whether to pack my own.  Does anyone happen to have a photo of the blowdryer that is on the Ovation?    (We will be doing a two week cruise with our carryon suitcase only.... so I desperately need to curtail my packing list).   Thanks for any advice you may have.!

Seabourn’s hairdryers are better than those I’ve I’ve used on other lines.  They are not wall-mounted so you can use them anywhere in the room and they are a high enough wattage not to overheat on long hair.  They’ve always had a concentrator attachment available which can be removed.

• Like 1

I just returned from 2 weeks on the Ovation.  I benefited from the advice of others of what to pack, what was in the suite, etc. from CC.

I think what and how much to pack is such a personal decision.  I checked one regular size rolling bag without a hairdryer and had clothes I never wore.  My sister packed 2 bags and felt she didn’t bring enough clothing options.

I have longish curly hair and only use the hairdryer to dry, not style my hair. I use a travel size flat iron for that purpose. Jeni is correct that the dryer can be used anywhere in the suite and has a concentrator attachment.  I think the hairdryer is adequate for most people.  I agree with nolatravelgirl that I’d rather bring another pair of shoes!

BTW, I’m a dress vs shorts girl, and I never wore the 1 pair of shorts I brought.  The women in Greece, and many on the ship, tend to wear long, flowy dresses due to the heat and humidity.  Going without panties was a amusing topic of discussion, too!

Just to add my two cents regarding hairdryer.   I thought it was very good - in fact I almost took a picture because I was thinking of buying one for home.   You will like it - use the space for something else.

PS - Hi, to wyattsaunt.   Wasn't that a great cruise?   Only bad thing was long flight home.   

Jill

Hi Jill,

It was great getting to know you, too. The cruise exceeded all my expectations.  If only we didn’t have to endure the long travel to an from.

I saw a lot of women wearing shorts in port, even at the monastery in Patmos. 

Living in Seattle, I don’t wear shorts much anyway. And, unlike Jill 😊, I don’t have the legs for them!

You’re welcome, Cruiser,

Just remember, compared to the dry Arizona heat, looser clothing feels better due to the humidity.  That’s probably why a lot of women I saw in Greece, both tourists and locals alike, wearing short and long linen dresses.  I house sat for a friend who lives in Pebble Creek in Goodyear, AZ, and I remember the dry heat was intense and extended well into November.  

As for Greece, the first ten days of our 14 day cruise were hot, but not too humid.  The last four or five days were extremely humid.

To add to the discussion I wore shorts all day every day - well, not at dinner.   Remember too they have free washers/dryers so if you staying for longer than a week you can always pop a load in the washer.  And do not believe whattsaunt - she had the legs for shorts.

We are in Surprise.   Just up the road from you.

wyattsaunt - agree with you about the flights.   Next time we should stay longer.   Hard to believe last Friday we were still on the ship.   Other thing is next time if flight that long thinking may break it up - in retrospect we should have spent night at JFK hotel.   

We are on Ovation this week, and I recommend bringing your own hair dryer.  The ship’s hair dryer is fine as far as drying your hair but it has euro plugs which don’t fit into the euro electrical outlet.  In our cabin the hair dryer would only fit in one outlet snd it’s not one by a mirror so if you like yo see what you’re doing when styling your hair, bring your own hair dryer.  I had the same problem with the dryer in the spa, so I don’t think the problem is limited to our cabin.  It kept cutting off because the dryer plug didn’t fit tightly in the outlet.  Very annoying!

14 minutes ago, HRPro said:

We are on Ovation this week, and I recommend bringing your own hair dryer.  The ship’s hair dryer is fine as far as drying your hair but it has euro plugs which don’t fit into the euro electrical outlet.  In our cabin the hair dryer would only fit in one outlet snd it’s not one by a mirror so if you like yo see what you’re doing when styling your hair, bring your own hair dryer.  I had the same problem with the dryer in the spa, so I don’t think the problem is limited to our cabin.  It kept cutting off because the dryer plug didn’t fit tightly in the outlet.  Very annoying!

I have never had this issue with a SB hair dryer in our suites.  Perhaps you should report this.  

3 hours ago, HRPro said:

I have always used the outlet in the mirrored area between the wardrobe and bathroom in the drawer the hairdryer is usually stored in. Haven't tried other outlets. Maybe talk to Guest Services and see if there is a solution if you are wanting to use other outlets?