Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

14 hours ago, funatseascott said:

They do come around with the pastry tray.  The dulce croissant is my favorite!!

561E9446-A6A0-488B-A78A-E3AEBAFB8B3E.jpeg

Thanks Scott -

We checked with Marie our server last night she confirmed they indeed had a beautiful assortment of pastries.    

Iain asked if they had Almond Croissant and said they didn't.    She did check and found that they do have them at Al Bacio and Retreat and would be happy to run and get him one.   He declined and the said the would drop some warm ones off with Glenn our butler for breakfast.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sascol said:

Hey Jim….did you have a chance to check this out?

I did forget.  Sorry   I  will walk by today.    

So far we haven't been to the Martini bar.  I'm sure this is sacrilegious but have really been avoiding crowded places.   We have mostly retreated to the Retreat.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I learned to tie a similar type tie, not as tight, when I was a Girl Scout camp counselor.  The girls were give a tie that showed how many years they’d been to camp in a color that identity which group.  There were about 24 kids as I recall and on Sundays they were supposed to wear their ties and white shirts!  The numbers were only on one side and the know was supposed to be smooth in the middle.   After tying them all summer I got pretty good at it.  Hated it at first, but we didn’t even have mirrors. 

Love full Windsor’s and had to have hubby tie a regular tie for me.  Easier to do because I could take it off without untying! 

Iain used this video to learn to tie it called the Animal Tutorial -   He said it was easy to  remember -

• Like 5

14 hours ago, hcat said:

Looks  tempting but have to pass...unless a small muffin.  I count my carbs!

I count the notches on my belt.    I try to find a belt with only one extra hole and if I hit the last hole time to cut back.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, hcat said:

ARUBA  October  2016  another great cruise!

Looks beautiful.    Heard from many that went out on excursions yesterday.   Lots of the crew came back from the beach with a sun kiss to their foreheads.    They had a crew party last night so some of the crew may be laggy this morningn.

11 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Right? We’ve been sharing desert, and if we have something heavy for an appetizer like a pasta dish, we share that as well. We are very grateful the portions are not bigger!

We have definitely been sharing some of our meals.   I hate to waste food and throwing half away.   Must be the Scotch in us.

You do know how copper wire was invented don't you?     Two Scotsmen fighting over a penny.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

13 hours ago, hcat said:

I believe this was the mini bridge.. the big one  had already collapsed if I recall correctly.   (5 yrs is a long time..)   was a great Halloween  cruise with overnight  stay in Aruba....

On prior trips we used to have dinner at El Gaucho. Not even sure it is still there??

Just Googled on it and it is still in business since 1977.    Looks fantastic. 

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just Googled on it and it is still in business since 1977.    Looks fantastic. 

It certainly was about 10 yrs ago when we did a stay on the island. We both remember the steak we ordered was like a small roast beef when it came on the plate. Lol. What the heck were we going to do with that ! 
we stayed at an all inclusive resort so no doggie bag was needed! 😉 

Recent reviews though on trip advisor sounds like they have slipped ! 
😊 

10 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I’m a Gamache fan, too - my sister & her daughters as well. For a major birthday celebration in September 2018, I treated my sister and the girls to a trip to Quebec province and the Eastern Townships where the series is based. We had so much fun and stayed at the incredible Manoir Hovey. Two months later, I took my sister to a book signing evening at the Tampa Theater where Louise was interviewed and signed our copies of her new book at the time. She was quite personable and we loved meeting her.

I’m also saving her new book for my next cruise.

While not a mystery I really got hooked on Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.   

It began in 1976 as a daily column in the San Francisco Chronicle and was so popular that it eventually progressed to 4 books and a couple movies.   It was fun as many of the action were based on real life streets and alley ways on Nob Hill.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

What is the temperature of the resort deck pool?  Same question for Solarium pool.

That I can't answer as I haven't been into either.     The main pool isn't heated but would think it would be comfortable with the temperatures and sun.    Doesn't look like anyone has chattering teeth and many just sitting on the edge enjoying the coolness

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did forget.  Sorry   I  will walk by today.    

So far we haven't been to the Martini bar.  I'm sure this is sacrilegious but have really been avoiding crowded places.   We have mostly retreated to the Retreat.  

You have not been to the martini bar? That’s a sin! Don’t make a special trip but if you happen to pass by we would appreciate it.  We’ll be there in 5 days.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While not a mystery I really got hooked on Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.   

It began in 1976 as a daily column in the San Francisco Chronicle and was so popular that it eventually progressed to 4 books and a couple movies.   It was fun as many of the action were based on real life streets and alley ways on Nob Hill.

Loved that (original) series on PBS, loved Laura Linney as Mary Ann, and identified with the character because I lived in The City at Bay & Stockton in the mid-70s. I read all the books!

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

Whats wrong with one of these,,,in the UK only £2.99 from Amazon.
Mens Black Satin Bow Tie Pre Tied Available

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a pre-tied.  Just our preference.   Tongue and Cheek --   I would compare it to a woman wearing falsie instead of the natural look.  They just don't look natural.

One tie site explains it like this -- (but remember they are selling Bow Ties)

Are pre-tied bow ties acceptable?

Pre-tied bow ties look pre-tied and lack the character of a self-tie. The pre-tied bow tie is suitable for children, and for those who lack or no longer have the dexterity to tie and adjust bow ties for themselves. We don't recommend the pre-tied bow tie, even as a “starter” bow tie.

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Loved that (original) series on PBS, loved Laura Linney as Mary Ann, and identified with the character because I lived in The City at Bay & Stockton in the mid-70s. I read all the books!

It really was an addictive series.    I met Armistead  back  in the early 80's.    He has some really interesting books after the Tales series and was doing some research on Gay Father's.   Not sure if he ever used it.

• Like 2

Dinner 9/20

09E1CB7E-8CA4-4FE8-86B6-8635A8852180.thumb.jpeg.8a1b4784e6fa2d88cd3b2c1d0ea99a29.jpeg

F1446F48-FF56-4208-8189-0DC9612E2E52.thumb.jpeg.344621e1603d1a15ec70c646f996e7ea.jpeg

B3CF6430-5F1C-453D-AD13-991548499E8A.thumb.jpeg.e366d3959f3a6675a7c84b03bdacacb5.jpeg

English Pea and Crab 

B2B15389-FFE6-4FE6-8997-9D9D39072EC0.thumb.jpeg.8b217f24b8f9feef9258aa37e0851a67.jpeg

Broccoli Soup

AE785016-23F3-437F-BA62-895907583DEC.thumb.jpeg.cb7e24961de4d6264011cedf4741bd5e.jpeg

Salmon Carpaccio - best starter I have had. 

781FA881-2095-4C34-A0FC-6F7E695FCCF5.thumb.jpeg.5a8c93303d19e70c77a836f550263500.jpeg

Black Sea Bass

A21EC143-46A3-42F3-9228-8DBF8208C14C.thumb.jpeg.16cad6908f7fd0024ad3427f46f8ca45.jpeg

Guinea Hen - Iain said it isn’t a guinea hen but a Cornish Game hen.   Guinea hen have a totally different size snd shape. 

810ECD8B-C4FB-42A8-8594-1002CEFB01FA.thumb.jpeg.7f677a1de4cf2fd9f3a55abe4131872e.jpeg

Cherry Jubilee 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes, those books are great too.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I count the notches on my belt.    I try to find a belt with only one extra hole and if I hit the last hole time to cut back.  

That works..but by then it's a bit late...

I  have diabetic testing  to remind me I am going off target..but on a cruise it's hard to be perfect, even with walking and the gym.  Just do my best without feeling deprived or out of control!

• Like 3