Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm glad the are staring to roll out the 3rd dose to those over 65 and those with medical conditions.   I think we are due for our Flu shot also when we get home.    I haven't yet researched the timing between the two  shots.

Iain really loves  the soups  and have been having them often.     Yesterday he asked me why I hadn't made my Squash Soup in a long time.   hmmm....  I forgot about it. 

We got our  Senior flu shot already.  Made us  tired but otherwise okay. We had the  Moderna covid vaccine so  we are waiting for approvals for a third shot. Guided by science! And follow Israel info  closely....

Soups on X..cold or hot are outstanding.  One year, the Chef at Bistro on 5 ( our daily lunch spot)  gave my husb the recipe for a simple Cream of Celery soup.  We had a big crowd that year for Thanksgiving...( pre Covid) so the recipe was perfect.  Our guests all had seconds and were slurping up the bottom of  their bowls..  Big hit! 

Have been looking  closely at the menus you post..esp the soups! Some nights I prefer soup, salad and an appetizer..just enough for me! No bread or dessert on my eating plan,  one two cocktails per cruise and my favorite..one Iglu..( no one is perfect! )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Interesting.  When we were there in August, it wasn't common.  I'm good with doing it though.

Things are very fluid in all ports and we just have to be prepared for it if we want to be back sailing.   We kept hearing rumors that  each island was to be cancelled but lucky for us they are remaining open.

I got a kick out of a Taxi driver at the gates offering tours.    You have to have a gimmick.     He asked a group of ladies if they need a body guard.   Got a chuckle for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm glad the are staring to roll out the 3rd dose to those over 65 and those with medical conditions.   I think we are due for our Flu shot also when we get home.    I haven't yet researched the timing between the two  shots.

We are scheduled to sail in early December so I am panning for us to receive our booster approximately three weeks before the sailing date.  

We also normally receive our flu shots around the same time.   I will also have to research and see if there is any timing requirements between the two.  It would be much easier to move up the dates for our flu shots. 

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim, 

I have been meaning to ask.  I understand there is a bar  on the Retreat Sundeck, unlike the non-Revolutionized ships.  Is this bar open when the ship is in port and is food available during lunch like on the Edge? 

Yes to both.   I've only been up there once as all it is on Equinox is a Sundeck.   The spa portion was never completed because of the accident in the port during the revolution.

I learned something I never knew yesterday.     The staff in Luminae rotate and are the servers on the Sundeck.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Things are very fluid in all ports and we just have to be prepared for it if we want to be back sailing.   We kept hearing rumors that  each island was to be cancelled but lucky for us they are remaining open.

Absolutely.  Our cruise is still showing Nassau, but if you look at the menus, that day's a sea day, and the 2nd sea day (before Aruba) is a port day.   On the other hand, the menus now also show  the day before disembarkation as a port day, so I don't know what that's about.  If it is, we just lost a sea day.

3 hours ago, hcat said:

We got our  Senior flu shot already.  Made us  tired but otherwise okay. We had the  Moderna covid vaccine so  we are waiting for approvals for a third shot. Guided by science! And follow Israel info  closely....

Soups on X..cold or hot are outstanding.  One year, the Chef at Bistro on 5 ( our daily lunch spot)  gave my husb the recipe for a simple Cream of Celery soup.  We had a big crowd that year for Thanksgiving...( pre Covid) so the recipe was perfect.  Our guests all had seconds and were slurping up the bottom of  their bowls..  Big hit! 

Have been looking  closely at the menus you post..esp the soups! Some nights I prefer soup, salad and an appetizer..just enough for me! No bread or dessert on my eating plan,  one two cocktails per cruise and my favorite..one Iglu..( no one is perfect! )

Agree with you.   While many complain about portion size, I have to say we have been asking for 1/2 portions and like you just soup and salad.  

I love some of the cold soups.   I had the cold strawberry soup  the other day.  It was really good and refreshing.

3 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Absolutely.  Our cruise is still showing Nassau, but if you look at the menus, that day's a sea day, and the 2nd sea day (before Aruba) is a port day.   On the other hand, the menus now also show  the day before disembarkation as a port day, so I don't know what that's about.  If it is, we just lost a sea day.

Hmm... they advised us weeks in advance of the port cancellation.  

Our menus were screwed up even when we boarded showing Luminae closed on our first sea day which was  suppose to be Nassau.    I even asked and was told they would be closed only to change overnight.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I learned something I never knew yesterday.     The staff in Luminae rotate and are the servers on the Sundeck.

That was happening on Edge as well.  We ran into the young lady that was our assistant waiter for dinner one day when we were up there for lunch.  

We found it a welcome escape from the crowds in the Ocean View Café on port days when Luminae was closed.   I was thinking of ordering there and taking it back to the room but will have to wait until we are on one of the Revolutionized ships.  Our December sailing is on Reflection which has not been Revolutionized. 

We are scheduled to sail in early December so I am panning for us to receive our booster approximately three weeks before the sailing date.  

We also normally receive our flu shots around the same time.   I will also have to research and see if there is any timing requirements between the two.  It would be much easier to move up the dates for our flu shots. 

Just Googled and found this from CDC.

Can I get a COVID-19 vaccine at the same time as another vaccine?

How long do I need to wait after getting another vaccine before getting a COVID-19 Vaccine?

You can get a COVID-19 vaccine and other vaccines at the same visit. You no longer need to wait 14 days between vaccinations.

• Like 1

That was happening on Edge as well.  We ran into the young lady that was our assistant waiter for dinner one day when we were up there for lunch.  

We found it a welcome escape from the crowds in the Ocean View Café on port days when Luminae was closed.   I was thinking of ordering there and taking it back to the room but will have to wait until we are on one of the Revolutionized ships.  Our December sailing is on Reflection which has not been Revolutionized. 

We often go to the Ocean View Cafe for a light lunch.   Really recommend.     

Today we had lunch in Ocean View.    The  place was virtually empty.     No lines and lots of spacing.  Each cruise has such different dynamics.

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Jim, I just boarded Summit today where I'm staying semi-isolated in a CS.  No problem social distancing; this cruise is in private yacht territory = 300 pax.  I'm alone in al Bacio.  

That's incredible.    Happy to hear Summit is back at sea.   I know many were disappointed by their cancellations.      We really love Summit, especially after revolution.

Who are the Retreat Hosts?     Anastasia from Summit is the Suites Host on Equinox. 

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Familiar  places and spaces..in for a treat looking at your Aruba photos.

We have been here before but whisked away on a Snuba Tour and never got the opportunity to walk around town.    The shop owner seemed please to see the cruse passengers and were very polite and not pushy. 

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

Nonsense. You can join my wife and I for dinner or cocktails any time we're on board together. As can anyone else. It's the folks that view others as "disease vectors" that might want to avoid sailing at this time.

Thanks, that's kind of you.  To me, that's part of the fun of cruising--meeting new people from all over the world.  I'm just getting the vibe that not a lot of others feel as you do at the moment.

• Like 3

I don’t like crowded cruise ports but your pictures are spooky with no people in town areas.   It looks like the Caribbean is a disaster area unlike the Greek Islands this summer.   They were not crowded (we were the only ship in most ports) but there were happy vacationers all over eating in outside cafes, strolling about and using the beaches.   Your ports look very different.

3 hours ago, 39august said:

Jim, I know you don't go to Luminae for breakfast much, but can you find out if a waiter still comes around with a tray of pastries during breakfast?

Sure will.    I know they also have a light breakfast in Retreat with pastries, fruit, yogurt and meats.   Nice if you aren't into a sit down.