Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

15 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

New to X, will be in a suite on Epic soon:  is it correct that I can dine in any restaurant I choose, including the specialty restaurants, without an extra charge?  But I have to first make a reservation everywhere, right?

Only if you are in an "Upper Suite"   -  RS, PS, Iconic Suite etc.     The free specialty restaurant is not a perk of Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.     You can dine in any 4 of the main dining rooms, Blu and Luminae.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, runningtide said:

Thanks Jim….really enjoy your thread about this trip. BTW.. how many times around Equinox do you have to walk to get 10 miles ? Or are you giving yourself a little “slack” on vacation 👍

I keep track of it by steps.    If you have a 2.1 to 2.5 gate 2,000 steps equal a mile. 

If you take my route Upstairs Forward around the upstairs lawn club it is about 25 laps.

If you take the track (each lap is 1/8 mile) so wold be 80 laps. 

I slowed down to 5-6 miles for a couple days to recover from a pinched nerve last week but back to my 10 miles since yesterday.   Yesterday was REALLY windy and I could only do 5 miles on the decks and had to finish off on floors 7-11 (7 and * you can make a full circle others dead end into a pitchfork) .   Those decks equal about 850 steps per lap.

11 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Thanks.  I tried to send an Amazon package at one point and couldn’t get it sent to a foreign port.    I’ve seen the guys buying name brand stuff in various places but also the necessities.  Perhaps it’s been made easier to get packages to crew now which would be super.  

I spoke with the Manager of the Ships Shops last night.   The officers have been making their rounds of Retreat nightly.    Usually different officers each night.  

I asked the question of crew needing supplies.   He said they dramatically increased the size of the crew shop to supply all the crews need.   He did say that many crew are ordering on services like Amazon and have it sent to Port Everglades where the ship receive them on turnaround day.

Since Equinox is currently ported in Port Everglades they have no problems.

Off topic -   Iain often uses Amazon for Xmas shopping for his family back in Scotland.  He found it is easiest to purchase from Amazon UK site and gets free delivery in  a day or so.  When he tried doing it through the U.S. site he ran into some problems and expensive shipping.   This may have changed.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

I just started reading through these 67 pages, and am on page 9.  I cancelled my 11/07 12- night itinerary that you are currently on, just not ready yet, I guess, but I am booked for the March 13, 2022 same itinerary.  It is fun reading all of your comments, Jim.  

I have gotten as far as page 9, and people were talking about the plastic protectors for the vaccine cards that you showed in your pictures.  I bought the same ones from Staples, they had them at the register at check out, so you could not miss them.  Maybe they were $1.99 each, but they do the job.  I would imagine that Office Depot or Office Max would have them also.

Sorry you missed the cruise but totally understand not being ready.   It is definitely different  from pre-Covid but is a very enjoyable vacation.   We wear our masks while inside, but again in California we do the same.

One recommendation is to make a photo copy of the card and an extra holder to be used when getting off the ship so you don't have to carry the original.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Yes, very busy cruisers, much later group than many cruises I’ve been on! I can be a night owl, so I don’t mind at all! When I decided to head back to the room at 11pm after Improv, still many gamblers out and people at bars, too.

Maybe it is just the hours we have been out and about but the ship last night was like a morgue. .

I walked by the Martini Bar last night at 7:30 expecting it to be packed.   Maybe everyone was at the theater or dinner but there were only 4-5 people at the bar and lots of open seats.  Craft bar had a few more watching football 

BFA67C22-FDF6-4C97-BFB2-F623A6194749.thumb.jpeg.8232b6abe0e013f068f7ac82f6aa92ed.jpeg

3EDB4B6D-F402-4B2E-9A3B-BBB397546E9E.thumb.jpeg.48cd4d9a39ff6529df6d6c8f34507a0a.jpeg

20B016E6-FB9B-4C61-9C49-6205F478CC0B.thumb.jpeg.23eb026bcfe7ddba1d5ca3ebf9c045b1.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NKS50 said:

If possible, would you try to find out the number of passengers anticipated for the next sailing, Sept 26? Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts, makes our anticipation even better!  Thanks in advance.

Currently they are expecting 1,100 - 1,200 passengers but  like current cruise they are expecting cancellations closer to sailing day.

13 hours ago, baypeople said:

Mary/BeebaBeeba,

Our Silhouette cruise roll call that never happened has been shut down!  Do you know how to get it back or to get in touch with those of us who have been following it for years?  Please email me at seltzer02atcox.net.  Many thanks, Lynn/Bayperson

@baypeoplebaypeople

Did you receive my email yesterday?

Mary

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Government has made it difficult to stay off ship overnight.    Process was in news letter today. 

i can’t imagine anyone would do it.  I of course could be wrong. 

0F8F0D89-6D86-41E7-A0BF-6DF299F50DD9.jpeg

Not worth it cruisers. Friends just did 2 wks land based.. went well!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I spoke with the Manager of the Ships Shops last night.   The officers have been making their rounds of Retreat nightly.    Usually different officers each night.  

I asked the question of crew needing supplies.   He said they dramatically increased the size of the crew shop to supply all the crews need.   He did say that many crew are ordering on services like Amazon and have it sent to Port Everglades where the ship receive them on turnaround day.

Off topic -   Iain often uses Amazon for Xmas shopping for his family back in Scotland.  He found it is easiest to purchase from Amazon UK site and gets free delivery in  a day or so.  When he tried doing it through the U.S. site he ran into some problems and expensive shipping.   This may have changed.

I follow a YouTuber; "Aboard with Jord" who is in the ice skating cast on Adventure of the Seas based in Nassau. She said when she places orders from Amazon it takes about 5 months for her to receive her items! She said the items arrive in Port Everglades for pick-up. Maybe it takes so long because she's based in Nassau?! Who knows, but I was shocked!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Not worth it cruisers. Friends just did 2 wks land based.. went well!

Hi hcat,

I just finished reading your SV Edge balcony review from 2019 (?). We are booked in SV on our upcoming Edge cruise and searched for pictures. your review came up. So thanks for posting pictures and your thoughts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 3dogmom said:

I follow a YouTuber; "Aboard with Jord" who is in the ice skating cast on Adventure of the Seas based in Nassau. She said when she places orders from Amazon it takes about 5 months for her to receive her items! She said the items arrive in Port Everglades for pick-up. Maybe it takes so long because she's based in Nassau?! Who knows, but I was shocked!

That is just too long.

I saw a Tiktok of Captain Kate (Edge) where she is mentioning a "mail haul" and shows stuff she received in teh mail. She mentions of a company based in FL that all crew shipments are mailed to and they deliver/collect on turn around days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim, thanks for the info.  I guess with probable cancellations we should think maybe 1050-1100.  But I think the suites are all or mostly sold…

enjoy the rest of your sailing, as we will enjoy the rest of your posts.  Thanks again.

Nancy

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That’s good news about increasing the stores.   I tried using an Asia Amazon but I thought the credit card address might be being used to disallow the port authority address as I used VPN to move my “location”.   It was just strange.  I had a neck fan that security liked I decided too late to just give her mine as I believe she had left the ship.  I’ll see her again, I’m sure I was just frustrated.  I forgot to consider a gift card to get around the address!  

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Government has made it difficult to stay off ship overnight.    Process was in news letter today. 

i can’t imagine anyone would do it.  I of course could be wrong. 

0F8F0D89-6D86-41E7-A0BF-6DF299F50DD9.jpeg

They definitely still need a proof reader!  Hubby has a field day with the daily paper!   Being required to go out of you state room only after you receive a negative test seems a bit odd to me. 

fwiw, I’ve seen Bahamas requiring their visa with their insurance too.  The visa is really a health check last I looked it up when another thread mention it!   

For me, staying off the ship only makes some sense if there are no curfews or perhaps staying with friends.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Maybe it is just the hours we have been out and about but the ship last night was like a morgue. .

I walked by the Martini Bar last night at 7:30 expecting it to be packed.   Maybe everyone was at the theater or dinner but there were only 4-5 people at the bar and lots of open seats.  Craft bar had a few more watching football 

I think it is very time//spot specific. Late night crowd in karaoke, improv, shows has been very busy. Made a brief stop at the 80s music party at 10 and there was no one there. We were at the Martini Bar from 6-6:45 and all the seats were taken, but lots of us moved into Topper for the 7pm show. 

The bar near the specialty restaurants was totally empty when we went by at 8pm to go to dinner, in spite of the good music.

8 hours ago, 3dogmom said:

That is amazing for sure.    A crew member I spoke to yesterday said they usually get it within a week or two depending on cruise length. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

I think it is very time//spot specific. Late night crowd in karaoke, improv, shows has been very busy. Made a brief stop at the 80s music party at 10 and there was no one there. We were at the Martini Bar from 6-6:45 and all the seats were taken, but lots of us moved into Topper for the 7pm show. 

The bar near the specialty restaurants was totally empty when we went by at 8pm to go to dinner, in spite of the good music.

It is really a different dynamic from the last cruise.    Oceanview this morning was deserted but thought we would grab a light bite for lunch at AquaSpa at 1:00.    At that time of day the food area is usually light.    There was a line to get food, so we went to Luminae.  

The back room where we dine only had 3 couples in it and of course as usual we were the last to leave.