Steel Cut for New Princess "Sphere" LNG Ships in Italy

LACruiser88

38 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

Couldn't disagree more.  It's a ship, not a shopping mall.  This is Princess, not that Mall of the Seas cruiseline.   

That said, they definitely need to keep the logo shop/"souvenir" shop -- mostly because I like to go in and cuddle the Stanley bear from time to time.  That's not weird, right? 

I hope you do not cuddle every stuffed animals.  Supposedly after you touched something in the ship, you should have those things sterilized.

1 hour ago, CeCe_ said:

I hope you do not cuddle every stuffed animals.  Supposedly after you touched something in the ship, you should have those things sterilized.

Why? Isn't that da**ed virus spread primarily via airborne means?

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 5:07 AM, Steelers36 said:

IDK where the moniker "Sphere" came from, but at least "Sun" fits into that.  They seem to be going for more dramatic names of late.  Perhaps Pacific and Sea do work since they our part of the Earth which is a sphere.

LNG tankers look like they're carrying a bunch of spheres. I think that's where the "Sphere Class" comes from. Probably not official though ...

• 11 months later...

From today's news...

Princess to Introduce Two LNG-Powered Ships by 2025

Discovery Princess in Seattle

After the debut of the Discovery Princess earlier this year, Princess Cruises is set to take delivery of two additional cruise ships by 2025, with the new ships joining the fleet in 2023 and 2025.

Part of a new class, the newbuilds will be the largest of the fleet and also the company’s first LNG-powered ships. 

Here are the details:

Ship: Sphere Class I
Debut Date: Q4 2023
Capacity: 4,300 guests
Tonnage: 175,000

In late 2023, Princess Cruises will take delivery of the first newbuild in a new series of next-generation cruise ships known as the Sphere Class.

Set to become the fleet’s largest, the 4,300-guest vessel is currently under construction at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Italy. At 175,000 gross tons, it will also be the biggest cruise ship ever built at the European country and Princess’ first LNG powered vessel.

Ship: Sphere Class II
Debut Date: Spring 2025
Capacity: 4,300 guests
Tonnage: 175,000

A second Sphere Class vessel is set to be delivered to Princess Cruises in early 2025. Also using LNG as its primary fuel, the ship will be built at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Italy.

Ordered in 2018, the 175,000-ton vessel will have capacity for 4,300 guests and uses, what Princess called at the time a “next-generation platform design.”

Cruise Industry Ne

• Like 3

On 9/4/2021 at 11:19 PM, LACruiser88 said:

Maybe they can have a passenger contest for the naming?  No, they will probably spend a ton of money with a focus group company and come up with a strange name!

I remember when the British Government asked the public to come up with the most popular name for a new research ship.  Due to the influence of social media the top name became "Boaty McBoatface"

Reusing old names always leads to a comparison where people think "It's not the same"

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, CeCe_ said:

On 9/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, rdsqrl said:

Couldn't disagree more.  It's a ship, not a shopping mall.  This is Princess, not that Mall of the Seas cruiseline.   

That said, they definitely need to keep the logo shop/"souvenir" shop -- mostly because I like to go in and cuddle the Stanley bear from time to time.  That's not weird, right? 

Depends what you mean by "cuddle".  Correct, Covid is not technically spread on material objects, but If you are "borrowing" Stanley, cuddling, and getting snot on his shirt, then I would be concerned.  Doyou pick up more than one?  Little ones are notorious for touching everything (not my kids/lol).  

AND, I read somewhere here on CC that Stanley's maker was going to file for bankruptcy.