How Late Can You Book A Cruise

Tedferg

5 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Just a couple weeks ago, it was announced that back to back cruises were allowed. Several people went  directly to the Future Cruise desk and booked the following leg. o less than seven days ,for sure.

That would not be a typical case since the cruise line would already have all the passenger information that would have to be turned into the authorities since they would have it from the front end of the back to back cruise.

13 hours ago, brisalta said:

I have been on a cruise where during disembarkation they were attempting to sell an unbooked suite for the next cruise departing later that day.

How can that be possible since they have to supply the passenger manifest to the authorities?

"For sea travel, CBP will require vessel carriers to transmit passenger and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure."

Federal Register :: Advance Electronic Transmission of Passenger and Crew Member Manifests for Commercial Aircraft and Vessels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

I've booked a cruise as late as 2am.🙂

Cute 🙂

8 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Just a couple weeks ago, it was announced that back to back cruises were allowed. Several people went  directly to the Future Cruise desk and booked the following leg. o less than seven days ,for sure.

Thanks for all responses. Initially I thought there was a one week dead line.

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

How can that be possible since they have to supply the passenger manifest to the authorities?

Quite easy they transmit an addendum. They do not leave port until about 6 hours after the passengers disembark.

See post #28

Edited by brisalta

I recall reading that no passengers can be entered on the manifest less than 48 hours before sailing. Our names must clear a government database.  I recall talking to passengers who received last minute bookings (about 5 days before the sailing.) They were employees and their families of the cruise line's travel partners- airlines, major hotels, etc.  These folks get sensational, but very last minute dibs.

4 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I recall reading that no passengers can be entered on the manifest less than 48 hours before sailing. Our names must clear a government database.  I recall talking to passengers who received last minute bookings (about 5 days before the sailing.) They were employees and their families of the cruise line's travel partners- airlines, major hotels, etc.  These folks get sensational, but very last minute dibs.

Were you possibly reading a requirement for a ship sailing into the U.S. from a foreign port?  The time frame is much longer as the names of people arriving in the U.S. need to be vetted, but that is all done by computer.

From the same source in post #28 :

"For vessels departing from foreign ports destined to arrive at a U.S. port, CBP is retaining the current requirement to transmit passenger and crew arrival manifest data at least 24 hours and up to 96 hours prior to the vessel's entry at the U.S. port of arrival."

Whatever, the cruise line will not show a booking availability after their 'drop dead' time.  I can recall an instance where already booked passengers showed up to the pier late but after the time the manifest was transmitted to CBP.  They were denied boarding.