New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

Unless I've missed something, it's the same procedure in US for cruises originating in Europe. We received an email about 3 days after seeing the requirements on mscusa. The new policy for us (US) is for sailings from 15 Sept onward. The main difference is getting a test 2 days before sailing rather than 3 days and possibly taking another test at the terminal. 

"Additionally, in compliance with our standard procedure, all guests over 2 years of age will have to complete and test negative with an antigen test at the terminal upon embarkation."

Edited by Rhea98

2 hours ago, nickam said:

In addition I have been given a check in time of 11:50 

My flight doesnt land in barcelona until 12:15

Emailed them to change it to later and was informed that they are not available to change on request due to social distancing

It's not a problem, at the pier no one cares about stated boarding time....trust me!

• Like 2

Just received it too. Somewhat problematic as I'm in Venice for a couple of days before, and navigating testing requirements in Italian is not straightforward. Greece was much more supportive for travellers. 

But since every airport now offers on site testing, there's always a fall back option even if it does mean some extra back and forth.

More notice would have been nice though, and ironic it comes on the same day that the UK removes testing requirements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nickam said:

In addition I have been given a check in time of 11:50 

My flight doesnt land in barcelona until 12:15

Emailed them to change it to later and was informed that they are not available to change on request due to social distancing

A ridiculous situation, and not one you should worry about as long as you're on board two hours before sailing. However, you might just make it within your hour slot anyway if there isn't a big queue at the passport desk. The airport is not that far from the cruise port. 

9 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Just received it too. Somewhat problematic as I'm in Venice for a couple of days before, and navigating testing requirements in Italian is not straightforward. Greece was much more supportive for travellers. 

But since every airport now offers on site testing, there's always a fall back option even if it does mean some extra back and forth.

More notice would have been nice though, and ironic it comes on the same day that the UK removes testing requirements. 

This is the point exactly - the timing of the announcement. Very short notice for passengers that are going shortly.

I scrambled around all afternoon/evening yesterday trying to arrange PCR tests in Barcelona. We arrive late on a Sat evening - cruise is on the Tues - most PCR test sites are closed on a Sun - if i do it on a Mon its 48hrs turnaround ( not enough time for departing on Tues ) 

An absolute nightmare.

long story but I’ve found a place on the Sunday €200 for both tests for us.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sm9690 said:

I'm due to embark on the seaside tomorrow (19th) from Marseille and my travel agent has said that as it's so close to departure, MSC have said they'll accept a rapid test. Has anyone else been told this?

I have a cruise at the end of September and my email says PCR or rapid test:

"In addition to the above, a negative molecular Covid test (PCR) or an anti-antigen test (Lateral Flow)taken within 72 hours before embarkation is mandatory for all guests aged 2 and above."

There is a huge difference between rapid test and PCR test:

•  rapid tests are available for free or very cheaply (the equipment cost is approx. €1, so you pay between €10 to €20 for the labour costs, location costs and profit) across Europe.  e.g. outside Genoa Piazza Principe train station (5 min walk from the port) there is a Red Cross tent where anybody can get a rapid test without appointment - it takes about 20 minutes and you will get a certificate at the end.   
  • PCR tests are costly (€49 is the market price in Germany) and need planning (e.g. appointments, waiting time for results).   Though France and Germany seem to provide them for free to residents without questions.   

I can understand after the comments and media from UK passengers about Virtuosa, MSC need to make these changes (it is an extra layer of protection, in a swiss cheese style model).  I feel a bit sorry for Irish passengers who have got caught up in all this just because they are served from the UK office....

12 minutes ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

Looks like PCR OR Lateral Flow for September sailings, but PCR ONLY for October sailings? 

That would make sense as there wasn’t enough notification given for September travellers.  Still, it’s a pain as well as an extra cost!

24 minutes ago, sm9690 said:

I’m at Marseille cruise port, just waiting for my test results. They never even asked to see the results of a lateral flow or PCR test, only had to show cruise docs and NHS vaccination proof!

Typical!  🙄

Hope you have a great cruise - Bon Voyage.  😉

34 minutes ago, framboesa said:

Hello, do you have idea if this is mandatory only for UK residents, or is it mandatory for everybody? I'm from Portugal, and it's hard to reach to MSC to get answers... Thank you

It should be on your country's website in the 'Travel Updates' section.  

• Like 1