FP limits cruise ship size

Mercruiser

Agreed. It is disheartening seeing the mega ships anywhere but especially in the little places like Rangiroa or Fakarava. I know they don't but I always stress about those ships scraping the bottom of the lagoon! Ecologically it looks like a disaster waiting to happen, even though in reality it is remote. Makes you wonder if in 50 years how much further the Hawaiification of Tahiti will have progressed. However I feel badly that Tahiti can only be experienced by a privileged few.

17 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

the mega ships will be replaced by small ships that meet the current rules ...

I don't see the mainstream cruise lines spending millions and millions to build ships of a certain size just to keep the politicians on Bora Bora happy.  More likely, they'll go where they are wanted.  What is the guarantee that even if they built the very small ships that FP wont ban ships of that size as well?

28 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

However I feel badly that Tahiti can only be experienced by a privileged few.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  This is merely protectionist regulations keeping the masses out and saving it for the wealthy.  They're not limiting the numbers of guests who can come and stay in the extremely expensive resorts.  "Follow the money..."

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't see the mainstream cruise lines spending millions and millions to build ships of a certain size just to keep the politicians on Bora Bora happy.  More likely, they'll go where they are wanted.  What is the guarantee that even if they built the very small ships that FP wont ban ships of that size as well?

I think YOU hit the nail on the head. Don't see the moderately priced cruise lines- RCL, NCL, HAL-

or luxury- Crystal, Seabourn, Regent- building small ships to fill the void left by the absence of megas.

• Thanks 1

This was discussed a few weeks ago with the president of FP and the tourism board. Several cruise lines are already planning for more smaller ships.

2 cruise lines are getting ready with multi smaller ships who will stay in FP waters. One of the lines has already stated they will have 3 ships in FP.  I would think we will see other lines stepping forward as well  ...

In regards to the wealthy  ... I've been going to FP since the last century ... every year, sometime more and I'm not wealthy. We both drive Honda cars, heck the one my Better Half drives is 16 years old. We don't own an RV ... we eat on the cheap  .... no steak houses etc  .... we shop sometimes at Ross an often at Walmart but we love FP and have made it a priority. Enough said  ....

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

This was discussed a few weeks ago with the president of FP and the tourism board. Several cruise lines are already planning for more smaller ships.

2 cruise lines are getting ready with multi smaller ships who will stay in FP waters. One of the lines has already stated they will have 3 ships in FP.  I would think we will see other lines stepping forward as well  ...

In regards to the wealthy  ... I've been going to FP since the last century ... every year, sometime more and I'm not wealthy. We both drive Honda cars, heck the one my Better Half drives is 16 years old. We don't own an RV ... we eat on the cheap  .... no steak houses etc  .... we shop sometimes at Ross an often at Walmart but we love FP and have made it a priority. Enough said  ....

Us too; and we'll keep returning as often ad we can.  As my FIL used to say, "Its priorities!"

10 minutes ago, USNA 72 said:

Us too; and we'll keep returning as often ad we can.  As my FIL used to say, "Its priorities!"

Agreed that it is priorities, but one of the factors in prioritization is affordability and desire.  For me, the ports of call are just one facet of my cruise enjoyment, not the be all and end all.

Not ideal time to cruise but the prices sure are nice for Windstar.

If you cruise up until December you can get a 7 day cruise for $1899, 10 days for $2599 and 17 days for $3499. The cruise line switches from Wind Spirit during that time to Star Breeze which is a 300 passenger luxury ship where even the least expensive stateroom is 252 sq. ft.

One unfortunate thing is that to protect you from COVID it's cruise line excursions only until further notice. Probably adds 25% more to the cost of excursions than doing independent tours.

But the cruise is great deal compared to the usual prices.

Air Tahiti Nui airfare is even on sale.

Looking again and December 7 day is $1599! Not the best time to cruise as Dec-Mar the rainy season. But I did an 18 day 2 years ago Nov/Dec and it was beautiful. And  December 10 years ago which was also great. Year round mostly you don't know what you're going to get, a lot like Hawaii.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 5:46 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I disagree about vendors ... I'm sure if there was concern the vendors would be all over the mayor of Bora Bora ... cruising only makes up 25% of the tourism dollars ... the mega ships will be replaced by small ships that meet the current rules ...

Bora Bora does not want the large ships to impact the experience of the overnight land based tourists which generate substantially more revenue for the island and businesses.

Large ships add lots of people, but not that much revenue.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, Petoonya said:

TBK,

That's really not fair. You are a friendly gregarious guy and you attract and lead groups to Tahiti. That gets much of the financials out of the way. For most people a week's cruise in Tahiti on the cheap, including airfare, pre-post hotel, excursions etc is easily $10k. I can do an oceanfront condo for TWO weeks with everything in Maui for $4-5k.

Not everyone is capable of leading groups- you're a natural. But most of the rest of us look at the price tags and go whoa! My kids make it possible for me to go every year- that's the only way I'd get there. But I'm one of the very fortunate few.

No sense in whining about it. It is what is. I'd be happier knowing that there was a small NCL-ish ship that was gliding about FP so some people could do and not dream.

Round trip on United from SFO on United is about $850 per person.  Hotel rates on Papeete is actually lower than in Hawaii.  We have a trip planned to Tahiti including 5 days in Bora Bora and 5 in Papeete (will do a day trip over to Moorea.  Total expected cost including flights  is around $4000 staying at Intercontinental properties.  OK I did cheat a little in that one of the Intercontinental properties on Bora Bora is taking IHG points at this time (they usually do not) so those 5 nights are free.  If I had to pay the total including the same property would run about 6k

That said I have traveled to Tahiti in the past and stayed on Bora Bora, Moorea and Papeete quite inexpensively (just pick small local accommodations, not the big expensive chains.  This trip just taking advantage of the point offer on Bora Bora.

• Like 1