Covid 19 Test Southampton on Princess

el zorro

Regal Princess 14 day transatlantic out of Southampton Nov 3, 2021
We are vaccinated…but have been reading about protocol on getting required Covid test prior to embarkation.

There is info that Princess provides the complimentary test at the cruise terminal on day of embarkation.

i also read elsewhere that we should have the test, on our own, two days prior to embarkation.

Does anyone know which it is? Thanks for any info.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Lets start by getting you over to the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

where you will find everything you need to know about Princess.

You will be required, at this time, to test within 48 hours of the sailing date. Last I heard, Princess is not providing the test, but check the Princess board.

Thanks…

I did go to the Princess website prior to posting and it said the following in Q&As for cruises updated September 24, 2021…

Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?
To board the ship, fully vaccinated guests will require a negative viral COVID-19 test, which will be administered at the terminal and provided on a complimentary basis.
This vaccination and testing policy will be reviewed on a regular basis as the global situation continues to evolve.
Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airlines requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel PCR COVID-19 testing to enter a country. Details continue to be updated regularly; official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are the recommended resources.

1 hour ago, scott4020 said:

Per the last big GOV UK update: Starting Monday a fully vaccinated person from non-red list countries are no longer required to test before travel to England.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#new-rules

We're still going to get pre-departure tested after Oct 4th because we would rather test positive (asymptomatic) before our flight in the U.S., where we can easily abort the trip, than be tested positive after arriving in the UK and get quarantined for days in the UK.

Edited by velohike
  • Like 1

We are on that same cruise. We will fly from US to London & arrive the day of departure. We will take Princess shuttle directly to Southampton so will be considered in transit. No covid test will be required until the test at the cruise terminal. When filling out our passenger locator form on the exemption options I'll choose transit exemption.

Edited by 1965
  • Like 1

Is USA on green list for UK now? 
Canada is - so my understanding is we will not need a pre departure covid test in Canada. On day 2 of our arrival in UK we will have to have a rapid antigen test until more restrictions are lifted. 
then upon arrival at the terminal in Southampton we will be tested free by Princess before boarding the ship. Subject to change at any time. This is what those on seacations have been doing right now. 
after cruise Princess offer preflight PCR & antigen tests at terminal for those needing them for flights home free. All is subject to change 

Edited by dog

7 hours ago, el zorro said:

Regal Princess 14 day transatlantic out of Southampton Nov 3, 2021
We are vaccinated…but have been reading about protocol on getting required Covid test prior to embarkation.

There is info that Princess provides the complimentary test at the cruise terminal on day of embarkation.

i also read elsewhere that we should have the test, on our own, two days prior to embarkation.

Does anyone know which it is? Thanks for any info.

Princess doing test at dock - complimentary

• Like 1

We were on the Regal out of Southampton a couple of weeks ago. The test is free and done at the customs hall under the Ocean terminal, lateral flow test with each nostril being swabbed, no back of the throat needed. You then go to the terminal to check in then sit down and wait for a text to come through to say you are negative. Was quite a worrying 25 minute wait but we were ok and on the ship at noon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

was on Sky a few weeks ago and we just needed a LFT at the port paid for by Princess. But as this is a Transatlantic then different testing protocols might apply especially as you may need a PCR prior to entering the USA  or some of the Caribbean countries on the way (?).

I would double check with Princess asap to clarify what the testing requirements for that Transatlantic cruise will be 🙂 

17 hours ago, el zorro said:

Thanks…

I did go to the Princess website prior to posting and it said the following in Q&As for cruises updated September 24, 2021…

Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?
To board the ship, fully vaccinated guests will require a negative viral COVID-19 test, which will be administered at the terminal and provided on a complimentary basis.
This vaccination and testing policy will be reviewed on a regular basis as the global situation continues to evolve.
Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airlines requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel PCR COVID-19 testing to enter a country. Details continue to be updated regularly; official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are the recommended resources.

Plus I think the UK has a regulation that you have to have a test  before Day 2 of your arrival into the country. That's the confusing part for me.

I don't know about the international requirements, but I can tell you about the test at Southampton dock if that's helpful?  I did it last week (just back off Regal today!).

If you arrive by car, you drive yourself to the test centre on the docks next to the Mayflower terminal, through dock Gate 10.  Regal usually berths at the Ocean Terminal, which is accessed through dock gate 4 - some distance away.  You don't get out of your car - everything is done through the window.

But if you're arriving by coach or on foot or by taxi, you will go straight to the departure terminal and have your test, on foot, there.

It will be a lateral flow test that you get at the dock, not a PCR test and its the new kind of test (which we're all doing in the UK now) which just needs a swab up each nostril and not down the throat - so much more bearable.  And its done to you by a nurse/attendant and is not 'self done'.  I found it less invasive than when I do it myself, strangely - just a gentle twirl around.

They take all of your details and your phone number and then 15 or 20 minutes later, you get the result on your phone.  If you're in your own car, that will undoubtedly come through while you're still parking up.  But for those on foot, there is a big designated waiting area for those waiting for test results.  Only when you have the results can you proceed to the next stage of boarding (which incidentally was the best boarding experience we've ever had, it all having been done previously on the Medallion App).

Wishing you safe and healthy travels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

Plus I think the UK has a regulation that you have to have a test  before Day 2 of your arrival into the country. That's the confusing part for me.

I’ve checked into this Day 2 test - arrival in UK. 
after Oct 4/21 rapid antigen test ( not PCR) required for green list countries like Canada. To be taken before or on Day 2 of arrival   Day you arrive is Day zero 

A big thank you to all who responded. You verified and reinforced what I thought to be true. With the new regulations, as we resume cruising, any information prior to our trip is appreciated, as you all know. 
Cheers! Safe and happy sailing!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dog said:

I’ve checked into this Day 2 test - arrival in UK. 
after Oct 4/21 rapid antigen test ( not PCR) required for green list countries like Canada. To be taken before or on Day 2 of arrival   Day you arrive is Day zero 

Not strictly true sorry. The day 2 covid test has to be a prebooked PCR test, you will need a confirmation code for when you fill out the Passenger locator form. 

later in October this is being scrapped for those fully vaccinated but its still on place on the 4th. 

I wish it was being replaced with a lateral flow test on the 4th. As if it was we will now not be forced in to having to pay for the more expense PCR test now Princess have changed our cruise on the Sky on the 5th. 

28 minutes ago, minikiss said:

Not strictly true sorry. The day 2 covid test has to be a prebooked PCR test, you will need a confirmation code for when you fill out the Passenger locator form. 

later in October this is being scrapped for those fully vaccinated but its still on place on the 4th. 

I wish it was being replaced with a lateral flow test on the 4th. As if it was we will now not be forced in to having to pay for the more expense PCR test now Princess have changed our cruise on the Sky on the 5th. 

This just keeps getting more confusing. My trip is March 2022, so I will check to see changes on the government website at that time. 

1 hour ago, dave_k58 said:

WE are on the Sky TA Nov 5.  No need for another test before the one at the pier?

Depends when you arrive in the UK. Arrive on the 5th, and you will be in transit,  so no need for a test.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goldengal said:

No. Test at Pier is all that is required and must be vaccinated and have proof. 

Do you happen to know will we show proof of vaxx prior to boarding flight or not until boarding ship? Just curious.