PCR testing onboard

nissach

This has been asked a lot and Carnival continues to say no.

Search your airport you are flying out of and add pcr test.

It will cost a lot but is an option.

Carnival seems to be the cruise line with the least support for testing (no testing offered before you cruise, no testing for non u.s. citizens at the end of the cruise).

Carnival is the cheapest cruiseline and I am saving money on the cruise itself so don't mind paying $199 per person for my PCR test on the way home.

27 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Carnival seems to be the cruise line with the least support for testing (no testing offered before you cruise, no testing for non u.s. citizens at the end of the cruise).

Carnival is the cheapest cruiseline and I am saving money on the cruise itself so don't mind paying $199 per person for my PCR test on the way home.

It was a lot less than that at MIA. Think someone posted it was $79.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mondello said:

This article is a few months old but the costs are listed and I doubt they would be reduced by much.

https://cayman.loopnews.com/content/covid-19-pcr-testing-now-available-miami-international-airport

"Antigen tests cost $79, PCR tests cost $119 (less than 24 hours response), and Rapid PCR (oral swab) tests cost $229 (15 minutes)"

12 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

This article is a few months old but the costs are listed and I doubt they would be reduced by much.

https://cayman.loopnews.com/content/covid-19-pcr-testing-now-available-miami-international-airport

"Antigen tests cost $79, PCR tests cost $119 (less than 24 hours response), and Rapid PCR (oral swab) tests cost $229 (15 minutes)"

I'm not up to speed but, isn't the last one the one we need?

17 minutes ago, mondello said:

I'm not up to speed but, isn't the last one the one we need?

Canadians need a PCR test to enter back into Canada.

So yes it's a cost comparision as to whether $229 for a quick test is a better deal then the $119 that will require you to stay over (24 hour turn around time).

3 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Oh man they're making a killing!! lol

On the Canadian part of this forum there are reports that certain provinces have PCR tests costing up to $300.

I've seen higher prices for places like Las Vegas as well ($400).

We need a time machine to go back in tmie and buy stock in pcr tests 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Oh man they're making a killing!! lol

8 hours ago, K_e_short said:

On the Canadian part of this forum there are reports that certain provinces have PCR tests costing up to $300.

I've seen higher prices for places like Las Vegas as well ($400).

We need a time machine to go back in tmie and buy stock in pcr tests 🙂

I 'd imagine you could jump in a taxi and find a neighborhood CVS, Walgreens or Urgent Care clinic and find a lower price. 2 or more people in your party and the savings would pay for a hotel for a night.

Everything cost more at airports.

Edited by mondello
Add
  • Like 1

On a recent Alaskan cruise - DW was not feeling well so I pulled out a spare Abbott BINAX Home test, set up a call to eMed, and did the test. Turned out she did not have COVID - and it was good to get that out of the way. 

May want to consider getting that for your post cruise testing (I am not sure it is valid for return to Canada testing requirements). I did have premium WiFi service and that seemed to work fine.

Cost was $150 for pack of six, so it cost us $25 to do the test (and about 25 minutes).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RGEDad said:

On a recent Alaskan cruise - DW was not feeling well so I pulled out a spare Abbott BINAX Home test, set up a call to eMed, and did the test. Turned out she did not have COVID - and it was good to get that out of the way. 

May want to consider getting that for your post cruise testing (I am not sure it is valid for return to Canada testing requirements). I did have premium WiFi service and that seemed to work fine.

Cost was $150 for pack of six, so it cost us $25 to do the test (and about 25 minutes).

That is a great suggestion however it is very problematic for Canadians to order the test. It isn't able to be shipped to Canada, you can't use a Canadian credit card to purchase it, and I also think there are some issues with using your Canadian phone.

CVS or other drug stores sound like a great idea but the time to go to and from the airport to get a test off site might not be a savings as some airports have tests for cheaper that take 3-5 hours.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, K_e_short said:

We are flying out of LAX and they do offer it.  We should have enough time as we disembark Saturday and fly out Sunday.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, mondello said:

Thats what it was at the orlando airport. I didn’t get one but I made an appointment just in case my results didn’t come in time.

12 hours ago, kellk said:

On my upcoming Panorama cruise I've booked PCR testing for our last port in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) as it is within 72hrs of our return flight back to Canada.

Thats probably a good idea. I know my tests in mexico were about $30 which is cheaper than you’ll find at any US airport.

I have three cruises on the books where I have to fly/cruise back to the USA. The thought of having to figure out the return testing in some foreign land to get home is not pleasant (Both in travel time, and stress). And that is not even considering if we need to get back for some unplanned event. 

I always like to have contingency plans for stuff that just has to happen when the stuff hits the fan. Guess - for now - my back-up will be the Abbott test kits - but they may be my primary - with local testing locations/airports identified as back-up. Luckily my first return is not till April 22 embarkation.