Turkey Day At Sea -- What's For Dinner?

RCCL Fan

The last time I spent Thanksgiving on a Royal Caribbean ship, it was "Nordic Empress"  and pretty sure it was the mid 90's.

We had two choices for dinner... main dining or windjammer. 

A lot has changed since then...  so tell me where's the place to be on Turkey day for dinner?

I'm assuming the main dining room will do something special but perhaps it should be a Coastal Kitchen night? 

We want traditional thanksgiving dinner rather than sushi or steak.

What are your experiences?  How did the ship handle Thanksgiving dinner?   Where did you eat and What did you think?

3 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

What are your experiences?  How did the ship handle Thanksgiving dinner?   Where did you eat and What did you think?

I've done Thanksgiving 3 times. MDR always has a turkey and fixings entree and a pumpkin pie-ish dessert. I only actually ate in the MDR on one of those cruises and I didn't order any of the Thanksgiving stuff. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I've done Thanksgiving 3 times. MDR always has a turkey and fixings entree and a pumpkin pie-ish dessert. I only actually ate in the MDR on one of those cruises and I didn't order any of the Thanksgiving stuff. 

so when you ate elsewhere did they have any thanksgiving entrees as well or the usual menu?

2 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

so when you ate elsewhere did they have any thanksgiving entrees as well or the usual menu?

I believe both times we had the UDP and were at Izumi Hibachi..and they do not do teppenyaki turkey unfortunately. As far as I can remember from other people talking about it, Coastal Kitchen would bring you the MDR entree if you requested it but they may not have had their own dedicated Thanksgiving dish on the menu.

They did do a pardoning of the turkey on the Promenade 😂

20191128_193513.thumb.jpg.eddc76ba1ec9d69bb07972a9ccbbc665.jpg

With the traditional Happy Thanksgiving cake.

20191128_193427.thumb.jpg.4392f6bbb23c02c52019d7489adc75a7.jpg

MDR menu on fancy fall paper.

20191128_174158.thumb.jpg.fcc4406337e2830c9070bf8ac78ca4f1.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I believe both times we had the UDP and were at Izumi Hibachi..and they do not do teppenyaki turkey unfortunately. As far as I can remember from other people talking about it, Coastal Kitchen would bring you the MDR entree if you requested it but they may not have had their own dedicated Thanksgiving dish on the menu.

They did do a pardoning of the turkey on the Promenade 😂

20191128_193513.thumb.jpg.eddc76ba1ec9d69bb07972a9ccbbc665.jpg

With the traditional Happy Thanksgiving cake.

20191128_193427.thumb.jpg.4392f6bbb23c02c52019d7489adc75a7.jpg

MDR menu on fancy fall paper.

20191128_174158.thumb.jpg.fcc4406337e2830c9070bf8ac78ca4f1.jpg

Perfect Ashley!   Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

There has been a "Thanksgiving" dinner on the menu on the last night of most cruises I have been on.

While I would never order it, a waiter told me that it is their most popular entree that night!  😮 

Tom Turkey == ordered it many times.

4 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

The last time I spent Thanksgiving on a Royal Caribbean ship, it was "Nordic Empress"  and pretty sure it was the mid 90's.

A lot has changed since then...  so tell me where's the place to be on Turkey day for dinner?

I'm assuming the main dining room will do something special but perhaps it should be a Coastal Kitchen night? 

In the past, not this year due to closures, we would have Thanksgiving in the buffet. People feel that they need a big, fancy sit down dinner, we prefer it to be like home where you go, pile your plate with your favorite dishes, and enjoy. (More than a couple of slices of turkey, dried out from being held in a warmer in the MDR, fresh sliced turkey and ham in the windjammer is our preference.) 

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

In the past, not this year due to closures, we would have Thanksgiving in the buffet. People feel that they need a big, fancy sit down dinner, we prefer it to be like home where you go, pile your plate with your favorite dishes, and enjoy. (More than a couple of slices of turkey, dried out from being held in a warmer in the MDR, fresh sliced turkey and ham in the windjammer is our preference.) 

totally understand the appeal.  That's thanksgiving for many people. 

For us, its one of the only time of the year we use our formal dining room, eat on the good china passed through generations,  order fresh flowers for the table, and light the candles on the table.   

So the big fancy meal is "like home" in our family.  It's our tradition.

Only happens thanksgiving, christmas and easter  so we want to make sure  if it's there's a big fancy meal onboard, we find it.

Looks like it's going to be MDR typical serving (banquet style food in a warmer as you stated) but since we're eating in specialty restaurants most of the week, we'll make it special in its own right. 🙂

Appreciate the insight!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Ate in WindJammer during 8 Thanksgivings out of last 11, had whole Turkeys to carve, tons of Pies.

• Thanks 1