Regent V Viking Ocean

Robyn2

Hi John,

Apologies for not responding until now, have been away and didn't log in. Great you enjoyed your cruise so much and are returning to Viking, that says a lot!

You have painted a very good picture of what to expect on Viking. I think I like the casual style, staff seem to be on a par with Regent and cuisine almost as good. We love more classical music, that pianist would hit the spot. And then your price comparison, that is so helpful and explains a lot re extras, tips etc.  In order to compare like with like, you must upgrade to a higher level cabin on Viking. Full payment 15 months ahead...that's a big ask but maybe it can be reduced to 12. Interesting re insurance too and tip on Canal half crossings, that would be a big mistake!

Thank you John, very much appreciated.  You have taken so much time to write this up and I am sure many others will find your review extremely useful.

Kind regards

Robyn

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I still have the same question, sorry if I missed the answer, the seating at dinner looks very tight on Viking especially for two's.  Is that correct?

Honestly I don't have any interest in going on a "luxury" cruise and having people eating dinner in shorts & t-shirts.

Not sure if by tight you are asking about quantity of two tops or the closeness of the tables.  

There are lots of tables for two in The Restarts. There are typically four tables for two  perpendicular to the windows.  Two or more of these are butted together to make a table for four. There are similar tables along the inside wall parallel to the windows. The folks facing out are seated at a continuous banquette (upholstered with throw pillows). There are larger tables for six and eight scattered through the dining room. There is also one huge table centered on the stern that seats 10-12. You can see the typical tables for two in the photo.  DH is sitting at the seat furthest from the window on the row we are on. Our table was prepped for four, to his right there were two more tables for 2. To his left you can see the banquette seating along the interior wall.  This is the port side looking forward.  Similar layout on the starboard. 

If your question is about proximity to other tables, prior to COVID, we found the spacing pretty perfect….close enough to converse with fellow passengers (if everyone wished to do so) but spaced apart enough that you didn’t feel like you were a part of their conversation. If you look at the two couples  behind Mike you can see what I mean. Some have expressed concern that they seem too close together and not socially distanced enough for today’s time. 

87289453-3616-4EF6-9094-F92D8C0E2A7A.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

Actually its pre-Covid.  The Viking advertisement pictures looked like tables of two could basically touch the table next to them.  like the tables on the banquet on the right.  I mention above we are considering a Viking Expedition cruise to the Great Lakes, the proximity of the tables is a concern.

https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose

16 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks.

Actually its pre-Covid.  The Viking advertisement pictures looked like tables of two could basically touch the table next to them.  like the tables on the banquet on the right.  I mention above we are considering a Viking Expedition cruise to the Great Lakes, the proximity of the tables is a concern.

https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose

You could certainly touch the table next door.  The spacing of the freestanding tables is about the same (or maybe even a little closer) than those along the banquettes. For those there is room for most to fit between tables to get to their seat. For some of us, we have learned that just like the robes in the stateroom closet-one size does NOT fit all 😂

18 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I still have the same question, sorry if I missed the answer, the seating at dinner looks very tight on Viking especially for two's.  Is that correct?

Honestly I don't have any interest in going on a "luxury" cruise and having people eating dinner in shorts & t-shirts.

You can eat dinner on Regent in a t-shirt and shorts on the pool deck restaurant

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You can eat dinner on Regent in a t-shirt and shorts on the pool deck restaurant

And I am eagerly looking forward to doing just that on our Mariner canal cruise for a few relaxing evenings on the Pool Deck....as well as being in slacks and a dress shirt in CR, P7, and SM on other evenings during the same cruise.  😜  It's wonderful to now have that choice!  Regards to all.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Yes you can.  You can also eat in the raw in your room with room service if you like, probably makes sense to throw a robe on when they deliver.   They sometimes deliver courses independently so it could be sort of a pain, with the robe that is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

For tables of two, the spacing is indeed very tight for most of the tables in The Restaurant (MDR).   We were on a Viking Star cruise about three years ago, our only Viking Ocean experience.   If you enjoy engaging your tablemates in conversation, you will be happy.  However, if you prefer a private conversation, I don't know that it would be possible unless the tables on either side of you are unoccupied.  There are a very few scattered two tops that are by themselves, near the windows.  Once we realized the close setups, we would ask to sit at those tables, or perhaps seat the two of us at a four top.  The restaurant staff would do their best to accommodate our request, but it was not always possible.  We found that they were very reluctant to seat a party of two at a four top.  Also, if I recall correctly, only large parties can reserve a table - so it's basically luck of the draw.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Yes you can.  You can also eat in the raw in your room with room service if you like, probably makes sense to throw a robe on when they deliver.   They sometimes deliver courses independently so it could be sort of a pain, with the robe that is.

Plenty of people have been spoken to for that in the past...not my thing.

• Haha 1