Zuiderdam - Next drydock?

Tampa Girl

According to this thread:

The last drydock was late 2019, so the next would be due sometime next year, by HAL's usual standards. However, HAL has usually done drydocks ahead of industry regs, so perhaps, with the Covid inactivity, they might push out towards more standard timelines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

According to this thread:

The last drydock was late 2019, so the next would be due sometime next year, by HAL's usual standards. However, HAL has usually done drydocks ahead of industry regs, so perhaps, with the Covid inactivity, they might push out towards more standard timelines.

Thank you.  I did check that thread but did not see any scheduled drydocks.  We are booked on 2024 Zuiderdam WC, which is not the greatest ship for that type of cruise.  I am hoping that they will refurbish it during drydock.  Reinstalling a library would be nice.  Wistful thinking.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Does anyone know when the Zuiderdam's next drydock will occur; and,  if so, do you know of any changes that will be made to the ship?  Thanks for any info.

Zuiderdam had her last dry dock in December 2019,  so has not had much internal 'wear and tear' since then.  However there does appear to be a gap in her schedule between December 1 and December 15, 2022, so it could possibly be a dry dock in Freeport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Zuiderdam had her last dry dock in December 2019,  so has not had much internal 'wear and tear' since then.  However there does appear to be a gap in her schedule between December 1 and December 15, 2022, so it could possibly be a dry dock in Freeport.

There are standard external and structural items that must be maintained regularly. Those are the main reason for drydocks.

Haven't heard any new ideas in the pax areas, but who knows. I note none of the Vistas are the first ships back into service. Interesting.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Maybe Holland America will do some work on her sooner 

You don't typically do drydocks on a whelm, unless emergency repairs are needed. Drydocks require months, if not more, planning. In order to move super efficiently through a drydock to meet cruise line schedules, all the needed parts and supplies have to be there when the ship shows up. It isn't a last minute plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

You don't typically do drydocks on a whelm, unless emergency repairs are needed. Drydocks require months, if not more, planning. In order to move super efficiently through a drydock to meet cruise line schedules, all the needed parts and supplies have to be there when the ship shows up. It isn't a last minute plan.

Especially in today’s world were it takes six months to get a refrigerator.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 6:10 AM, VMax1700 said:

Based on her delivery date, her next statutory drydocking is December 2022, so the gap is most likely for that.  As noted by others, the main driving force for a drydocking, and the critical path during the docking are the statutory inspections of the machinery and structure, not cosmetics in the hotel.  These are completed as allowed by the timeframe of the statutory inspections.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Especially in today’s world were it takes six months to get a refrigerator.

Or the ability to get technicians from overseas to the shipyard.  Pride of America had to do a second drydocking recently, since the techs were not available (covid restrictions) during her scheduled shipyard period.

If the Z does a dry dock anytime in the next year or two it would probably just be a technical one due to the shortage of cash with the cruise lines and for the fact that for over a year there were no passengers on ships so less wear and tear on carpet, furniture, mattresses, etc that might normally be part of a refurb. Also the Z is a pretty small ship so not room to add the additional amenties the newer and larger classes of ship have.

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

@chengkp75 

Retired to Maine

Is this new?  Real retirement or 'between postings'?

If it is the real thing then congratulations.

Thank you, yes, as of October.  As Homer said, I placed an oar on my shoulder and walked inland until someone asked what that pole was.  Not really, since I'm now on a lake in Maine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Thank you, yes, as of October.  As Homer said, I placed an oar on my shoulder and walked inland until someone asked what that pole was.  Not really, since I'm now on a lake in Maine.

Wishing you a long, happy and satisfying retirement. 🍻

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Congratulations.  Welcome to the land of the retired.