Horizon Review: October 16-24

DramaQueen22

Just wanted to share my thoughts and impressions on our recent sailing on the Horizon. This was my second trip on her, hubby's first.   We booked this trip almost 2 years ago, pre-Covid.  Up until a few weeks before, we still weren't sure it would be a go.  Thankfully it was!

We flew in the day before and stayed at the Comfort Suites by the Miami Airport.  Hotel was nice and had a decent breakfast.  My only issue was that there were no walkable eateries nearby.  We ended up getting delivery from a local place and it was pretty bad.  The hotel has a shuttle to the port; you just sign up at check in.  We were on the 10:30 run for an 11-11:30 arrival time.  The shuttle dropped guests at both MSC and Royal Caribbean before Carnival.  We were in line at the terminal by 11:20am.

EMBARKATION:  Smooth and easy!  The line kept moving.  Stop at a check in desk where they check your documents and test results.  Go through scanner then head into terminal.  Another quick check at the counter and we were good to board.  We walked straight on the ship by 11:45am.  Headed to Lido for a decent meal and a few FunShips.  Aaah.  Let the relaxing begin.

CABIN/HAVANA AREA:  We had a Havana Inside on Deck 6 (6470).  This cabin is just inside the outer doors to Havana cabins.  Nice location and fairly quiet.  We could go down the "secret" stairs to the Havana Bar and be right on deck.  Our steward was great all week.  We chose morning service which worked well for us.  I love staying in the Havana area.  The area was full on sea das, but you could always find a place to sit.  The bartenders were fantastic.  The area is well monitored; the attendant asked several people to leave each day.  To me, it is so worth the extra cost of these cabins just to have this dedicated area.  

ONBOARD BARS AND ACTIVITIES:  Alchemy is our favorite!  Very crowded most nights.  Unfortunately there were several nights when patrons were very loud and demanding.  We also tried some of the drinks at Pig and Anchor this trip.  Husband loved the Smoked Boulevardier.  Fun watching the bartender make it and seeing the smoke fill the dome.  

Cruise Director Donkey was just OK.  Didn't see him around much.  His staff were great.  We did trivia a few times.  The Love and Marriage Show is too much fun.  

Playlist shows were fantastic.  Soulbound was excellent and DO NOT MISS Celestial Strings.

Musicians:  String Trio always good.  The Rock Band was amazing.  All of the musicians do a One Night Only Show in the Liquid Lounge.  That was a favorite for us.

Saw the new Bond film at the IMAX, and hubby saw Dune as well.  

FOOD:  Excellent across the board.  We did YTD this trip and will always choose that option from now on.  MDR selections very good.  We also did the steakhouse one night.  OMG.  So worth it.  My only disappointment all week was my Skillet Cake at Sea Day Brunch.  Dry and tasteless.

SPA:  We prepurchased the thermal suite pass for the week.  While we enjoyed it, I won't do it again.  Too much schlepping up there from our cabin!  Did a couple massage which was very good.  We did get the sales pitch afterward, but for us what they recommended was worth the splurge.

PORTS AND EXCURSIONS:  All ports were great...La Romana was perhaps a bit lacking by the port itself.  Aruba:  We did the Arashi Beach/Natural land bridge tour.  Nice was to see the island.  Curacao:  Snorkeling with Turtles and beach break.  Our tour guide was fantastic.  We did see turtles.  Knip Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches...second only to Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda imho.  La Roman took us to see underground caves.  Lots of steps down and back, but the guides were patient and it was a great experience.  We spent our Amber Cove day at an all-inclusive.  Heavenly.

DEBARKATION;  Unfortunately all good things must come to an end.  Carnival has changed its debark for the better.  If you want to self-debark early, you head to your Muster station.  They are called in order to leave the ship.  Anyone debarking later can wait in the Lido or other open areas of the ship.  They then call numbers for debarking.  Our flight wasn't until later that afternoon, so we got to enjoy a nice leisurely breakfast, then head off without crowds.  Facial recognition in the terminal, get your bags, and off you go!  

All in all, it was one of the best trips we have ever taken.  So good that I booked one for us and our 2 grown kids in 2023!

Questions?  Ask away!

Edited by DramaQueen22
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

A question about the thermal suite pass (and it's probably a dumb one)- did each of you have to purchase the pass or was one pass good for the cabin? I'm looking at purchasing this for our Mardi Gras sailing and it has earmarks of both (when I add it to the cart it only allows me to select a primary passenger, but if I add one with DW as primary it doesn't warn me that only one pass is needed).

Hi there!  We are on the horizon in February for the same cruise and we are in the exact same cabin!  It is our first time in the Havana area and I am so excited to try.  I had actually had the Mardi Gras  havana area booked for my 50th in Feb 2021 and through reviews here I decided to change to Horizon as Havana on Mardi gras doesn't seem to compare.  Glad you had a wonderful vacation and I guess if I had any questions it would be if you have pictures of the room and if you have any tips or suggestions about access from the room to other areas of the ship.  I have been on the Vista as well as several other Carnival ships😀

10 minutes ago, smyemar said:

Hi there!  We are on the horizon in February for the same cruise and we are in the exact same cabin!  It is our first time in the Havana area and I am so excited to try.  I had actually had the Mardi Gras  havana area booked for my 50th in Feb 2021 and through reviews here I decided to change to Horizon as Havana on Mardi gras doesn't seem to compare.  Glad you had a wonderful vacation and I guess if I had any questions it would be if you have pictures of the room and if you have any tips or suggestions about access from the room to other areas of the ship.  I have been on the Vista as well as several other Carnival ships😀

I have not stayed in a Havana cabin, but we were on the Celebration TA followed by the Horizon in November. We spent time in both bars so I checked out the pool area on the Horizon when I went to get a drink - it looked fantastic! Lots of seating in both the sun and the shade with a really nice pool and hot tubs.

Just booked a Havana Cabana room for Jan 2025!!  I know it's far off but I have a few questions for you Havana people😄.

Does the Havana Bar stay loud till late into the night?

Do you wear a wristband or does security check your Sign and Sail card?

Did you find many children in the Havana pool area?  How young?  Our room says only 12 years and up can stay in our room.

Thanks in advance!!

58 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Just booked a Havana Cabana room for Jan 2025!!  I know it's far off but I have a few questions for you Havana people😄.

Does the Havana Bar stay loud till late into the night?

Do you wear a wristband or does security check your Sign and Sail card?

Did you find many children in the Havana pool area?  How young?  Our room says only 12 years and up can stay in our room.

Thanks in advance!!

The bar is busy on the nights they have live music.  Our cabin was on deck 8 and we did not hear any noise from the bar.

Everyone must have a wristband and they monitor the area.  I saw them  send people away everyday.

No one under 12 allowed in the Havana area.  We didn't even see teenagers the week we sailed.  It was the best purchase (vacation-wise) we've spent.  I am spoiled now 🙂  You will have a great trip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowdogsmm said:

The bar is busy on the nights they have live music.  Our cabin was on deck 8 and we did not hear any noise from the bar.

Everyone must have a wristband and they monitor the area.  I saw them  send people away everyday.

No one under 12 allowed in the Havana area.  We didn't even see teenagers the week we sailed.  It was the best purchase (vacation-wise) we've spent.  I am spoiled now 🙂  You will have a great trip.

There is music in the bar until midnight.  We've stayed in Havana Interiors that are close to the bar area, and never found the noise to be too bad.  

• Thanks 1