Misleading policy statement on the HAL website

Altamira

Thank you very much, Tony, for taking the time to tell us about your experience. It’s what I’m doing as well in sharing with you the information I was given when I tried to clarify the conflicting information I ran across on HAL’s website which I mentioned. I understand the point you’re making regarding the possibility of inaccurate statements that may be given by a HAL representative. But it is HAL who has employed and assigned that person to provide all of us with hopefully accurate information. If not that costumer representative at the number HAL indicates in its website, then who is the best source of information. Is it people like us on social media websites sharing our own individual, necessarily limited, experiences? 

It sounds like you want to defend HAL, that it isdoing an amazing job in very difficult circumstances”, etc. I’m mystified why you feel compelled to do so. I am not attacking HAL. We have sailed 127 nights on HAL ships and hope to do so again very soon. It’s in fact what I was looking to do when I saw and shared the discrepancy I found on the official information HAL provided. It would be smart for them to fix that and I hope they do. Successful companies pay attention to what their customers say about their experiences with them. They in fact go through a lot of trouble to acquire that information. 

Sailings from European ports are under rules, (such as masking rules for example), that do not apply to sailings from US ports. And by now we should all be well aware of the fact that these policies are extremely dynamic, changing all the time with changing situations. So please forgive me but it is you, not me, who is guessing what the rules are” and makingstatements or guesses about the procedures on board Holland America cruises”. I made no guesses nor statements about HAL cruises. 

Once again, I appreciate your sharing of your experiences on your cruise.

Edited by Altamira

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We are doing like you.  We are cruising with NCL because we find their protocols more reasonable.  We have never sailed with them before.

Just be aware that it will be a very different experience to HAL. I am (somewhat) reluctantly cruising with NCL this coming summer -- not because of their COVID policies but because they are the only line offering the precise itinerary to Iceland and Greenland that I have been looking for. As a solo cruiser used to sharing meals and conversations with others I am not particularly looking forward to it. My only other experience with NCL was more than 30 years ago and it has taken me this long to be willing to try them again....

Also I would recommend doing specialty dining every night. The MDR leaves much to be desired (and this is according to relatives who cruise with NCL somewhat frequently and are in fact on an NCL ship at this moment.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just be aware that it will be a very different experience to HAL. I am (somewhat) reluctantly cruising with NCL this coming summer -- not because of their COVID policies but because they are the only line offering the precise itinerary to Iceland and Greenland that I have been looking for. As a solo cruiser used to sharing meals and conversations with others I am not particularly looking forward to it. My only other experience with NCL was more than 30 years ago and it has taken me this long to be willing to try them again....

Also I would recommend doing specialty dining every night. The MDR leaves much to be desired (and this is according to relatives who cruise with NCL somewhat frequently and are in fact on an NCL ship at this moment.)

We are going into this with open minds fully understanding that it will be different.   We are also traveling with friends who have sailed NCL many times. 

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I last sailed on NCL 24 years ago so I am sure it is different today. However, you will love Iceland as we sailed there with VO this past Summer. Are you booked on the Reykjavik - Reykjavik cruise in July? The cruise through the fjord to Akureyri is stunning. Hopefully NCL offers decent excursions. Reykjavik is very doable on your own. And because of  having done the cruise to Iceland, we are sailing to Greenland in 2023.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Wow. I have a feeling at least part of your trepidation is from reading a thread I started about do people want to dine with others that was posted in the NCL section. Please try to go with a more positive attitude as your attitude when you sail will affect your enjoyment or lack of on the ship.

Concentrate on the itinerary; that is why you picked the cruise. I'm sure you will find some people you can interact with. It may be harder than on other lines, but there surely will be some.

🤞 that your cruise will be better than you expected.

19 hours ago, esimon said:

I think people afraid of the unvaccinated should stay home.  Some people can not be vaccinated - for various reasons.  

Agree. And since I am vaccinated and boosted, I don't worry about protecting anyone who is refusing the vaccine and I only wear a mask when required.  Those who cannot get vaccinated for various reasons should mask up to protect themselves.

• Like 1

We took an Alaska cruise this summer on the Nieuw Amsterdam rt. Seattle.  I felt very comfortable with the testing pre cruise and mask wearing.

We took a HAL excursion by boat to the Misty Fjords and before we left the dock they asked if anyone was not vaccinated and one person raised their hand.  I believe that family was asked to leave the tour.  I was surprised because I thought that the cruise was 100 % vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Wow. I have a feeling at least part of your trepidation is from reading a thread I started about do people want to dine with others that was posted in the NCL section. Please try to go with a more positive attitude as your attitude when you sail will affect your enjoyment or lack of on the ship.

Concentrate on the itinerary; that is why you picked the cruise. I'm sure you will find some people you can interact with. It may be harder than on other lines, but there surely will be some.

🤞 that your cruise will be better than you expected.

Indeed. I second this very good advice, for all of us. As well as not to forget to always try to hang on tight to as much of a sense of humor as can be mustered in the face of surprising situations. What we’ve always heard about laughter being the best cure. 😊

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodinville cruisers said:

We took an Alaska cruise this summer on the Nieuw Amsterdam rt. Seattle.  I felt very comfortable with the testing pre cruise and mask wearing.

We took a HAL excursion by boat to the Misty Fjords and before we left the dock they asked if anyone was not vaccinated and one person raised their hand.  I believe that family was asked to leave the tour.  I was surprised because I thought that the cruise was 100 % vaccinated.

In light of the many public statements HAL has given about being 100% passenger vaccinated, rather than just “fully vaccinated” (which 95%/5% allows for), this is surprising. (I am in no way “afraid of the unvaccinated” as some like to call those of us who are cautious, but a policy is a policy.)

Is there any chance at all this was an excursion, though offered by HAL, that had passengers from elsewhere join in? I know this was an issue on some shuttles, and BC I have taken HAL excursions that had others  who were not on our ship join in (though I didn’t realize before that was even possible). Thanks for sharing.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

I really don't know if the people were on our cruise or not.

It just surprised us.  

We've also sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam through the Panama Canal since the Alaska cruise.  I really felt safer on the ship than going to my local grocery store.

Everyone was tested three times during the Panama Canal cruise.  HAL paid for it, we had a timed appointment and it probably only took 5 minutes total plus they gave you chocolate afterwards.

All the staff wore masks 100% of the time.

Passengers took masks off to eat or drink.

I think HAL is doing an excellent job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi, All,

I believe that the CDC said awhile back that if, as a country, we reach a 70% or 80% vaxxed rate that COVID could be controlled successfully. If a ship is at 95% or greater, that far exceeds the CDC's standards.

I, for one, wear a mask whenever I enter a public space (community center, grocery store, restaurant, etc.) so I find a masking policy unoffensive. From watching a variety of You Tube Cruisers, I agree that a cruise ship might well be safer than visiting any local retail space.

I have spoken to HAL a number of times about our upcoming Rotterdam cruise (12/01/21). The one constant I hear is that policies are extremely fluid and can/will change daily if not hourly. I suggest preparing for the most extreme conditions and be happy if they are relaxed when it is your time to board.

Thanks for this opportunity to discuss policies.

These posts are genuinely perplexing to me. On the surface, it appears to be a person asking a genuine question about the HAL website and asking for clarification. But then you get to this part:

Eager to cruise again we booked our first Norwegian cruise this fall. We are not familiar with Norwegian but chose it because of its no exceptions to the 100% vaccination and pre-boarding testing requirements. It sounded best to us.

Was your post the equivalent of a comment card? Were you genuinely concerned about website content or were you looking for an opportunity to state your preference? If you prefer to sail on fully vaccinated cruises, that's fine, but I don't understand why you don't just lead with that.

Also, out of curiosity, why is 100% vaccinated so important if you have your vaccines+booster? When I asked this question months ago the choral reply seemed to involve concern that a COVID case on board, or mini outbreak, would result in a lengthy ship quarantine for all. But that is clearly not the case anymore. Ships have been having COVID cases sporadically and there has been no drama.

Today I was in Fort Lauderdale on business and I had the chance to speak with some folks who were clearly just off a cruise ship. From their attire it looks like they were on Celebrity. I asked how full the ship was and they said they were told 40%. FORTY. PERCENT. That is not sustainable. The cruise lines are going to have to open up to nearly half of all Americans who have decided that the vaccine is not for them. When they do so, to save the ailing industry, you should still feel comfortable cruising. You're protected.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, woodinville cruisers said:

I really don't know if the people were on our cruise or not. It just surprised us….

I think HAL is doing an excellent job.

Thanks! I’m wondering if the company was allowing others to join, as long as they were vaccinated. I may ask the question and ask about others’ experiences in a new Thread. Either way, I think it’s helpful to know. 

• Like 1