World Cruise book direct or thru big box? any lessons learned in 2020?

travelbug615

I have always done all the research, selected our cabin and then booked our 25+ cruises  with a big box TA to get OBC/cash cards.  I basically just tell the TA everything, and don't rely on any information from them.   I am wondering if there is any negative to this for booking a world cruise.  Did anyone learn any lessons in 2020 when the WC was cancelled mid sail that might be relevant to booking the 2024 WC this way?

No booking by me for a 2020 world cruise, but I would strongly suggest that one ought to book with an experienced travel agent that has dealt with world cruise bookings for many years.  Why take a chance with a "big box" agent that is great in booking the Grand Classica, but has little/to now knowledge about booking a world cruise.  

You like "added amenities"?  A travel agent that I described ought to be able to provide you with such as well as offering shore excursions that are priced and designed just for their clients.  

We can definitely speak to this! Having booked our 2020 world cruise thru a big box and getting a great OBC (since changed to cash card policy now) we spoke with many people as to why would I go with a smaller TA.  The big box couldn't do anything to help with issues especially since it would be a looooong hold time to get thru to them, no texting capability or email.  Those who had TAs on board were in much better shape in the issues arising from the 2020 cancellation.  We have since changed to one of the TAs represented onboard and so very happy.  The TA is so responsive to any and all phone calls and emails.  And I'm confident that the TA representative would assist us if there were any issues on board.  We have also, used them for other cruises since.  Never again will we return to a big box.  And yes - I do all my research and select cabins, etc, and plan all our trips. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Hygge! said:

We can definitely speak to this! Having booked our 2020 world cruise thru a big box and getting a great OBC (since changed to cash card policy now) we spoke with many people as to why would I go with a smaller TA.  The big box couldn't do anything to help with issues especially since it would be a looooong hold time to get thru to them, no texting capability or email.  Those who had TAs on board were in much better shape in the issues arising from the 2020 cancellation.  We have since changed to one of the TAs represented onboard and so very happy.  The TA is so responsive to any and all phone calls and emails.  And I'm confident that the TA representative would assist us if there were any issues on board.  We have also, used them for other cruises since.  Never again will we return to a big box.  And yes - I do all my research and select cabins, etc, and plan all our trips. 

Ditto.  I am an experienced traveler of a certain age, and I thought I could handle any situation.  However, as a solo cruiser, I had to deal with the chaos and communication limitations (including three sets of cancelled flight reservations from Australia to home) on my own.  Never again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, triiip42 said:

Hi, good info, would you explain what you mean by" represented onboard"..

Thanks

Some agencies, with large numbers of booked travelers, will have a trip leader or host on the cruise to host parties and provide assistance while on the cruise.   If you google some of the larger agencies the hosts names for certain cruises  are often used in their advertising.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Part of the answer depends on how important saving money is versus having support if needed while on board.  The largest agency onboard (and the usually have more then 100 clients onboard) is definitely not the least expensive.  They provide a limited number of perks beyond what HAL provides to everyone and do have an onboard presence if you need help with something.  But as with anything in life, you have to pay for it.  Depending on which TA you select if you are able to operate independently, you should get a minimum of 8% and up to 12% reduction in cruise fare (not taxes and port fees).  I am not sure using the 2020 as a guide is necessarily wise that I would say that was a highly unusual event.  We were onboard and managed to survive with out any help but some onboard definitely needed help. 

• Like 2

Reading the tales of those who got caught in the March 2020 cruise world meltdown, those who did have good land based and local travel agents were the one's most glad they had this ongoing relationship when it really mattered. And at that time,  it really mattered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Part of the answer depends on how important saving money is versus having support if needed while on board.  The largest agency onboard (and the usually have more then 100 clients onboard) is definitely not the least expensive.  They provide a limited number of perks beyond what HAL provides to everyone and do have an onboard presence if you need help with something.  But as with anything in life, you have to pay for it.  Depending on which TA you select if you are able to operate independently, you should get a minimum of 8% and up to 12% reduction in cruise fare (not taxes and port fees).  I am not sure using the 2020 as a guide is necessarily wise that I would say that was a highly unusual event.  We were onboard and managed to survive with out any help but some onboard definitely needed help. 

But as with anything in life, you have to pay for it.    well said ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

The operative word here is "we".

• Like 1

I agree with Hygge and others. I have booked short Caribbean runs with the big box a couple of times without problems......however on our world cruises(5) and other complicated trips, like taking a family of 8 to Europe, we always use our amazing travel agent. Her agency has lots of clients on the world cruise and many years of experience with world travel. In 2020 when things fell apart, it was great to know that our onboard hosts were there as a resource. The agency staff back in the US worked 24 hours a day to get us all home safely in spite of constantly changing rules and canceled flights.

I find their price to be good, with a discount, very generous OBC and other amenities. We now never leave home without their support!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Charleston Lady said:

I agree with Hygge and others. I have booked short Caribbean runs with the big box a couple of times without problems......however on our world cruises(5) and other complicated trips, like taking a family of 8 to Europe, we always use our amazing travel agent. Her agency has lots of clients on the world cruise and many years of experience with world travel. In 2020 when things fell apart, it was great to know that our onboard hosts were there as a resource. The agency staff back in the US worked 24 hours a day to get us all home safely in spite of constantly changing rules and canceled flights.

I find their price to be good, with a discount, very generous OBC and other amenities. We now never leave home without their support!

100% agree with this poster's thoughts!  Whether the "going gets rough" or not, having an "experienced hand" at the tiller of my cruise plans is important to me.  

• Like 1