How to kill a few hours post-cruise and pre-flight (Rome)?

FionaMG

I recently booked our flights for our cruise on Odyssey OTS in May. Our homeward flight from Rome departs at 5.35 pm so we will have a few hours to kill between getting kicked off the ship and checking in for our flight.

It looks like Rome Airport has luggage storage and I see that in the close vicinity there are the ruins of Ostia Antica and a seaside town. If google maps can be believed, both are within easy (taxi) striking distance of the airport.

What say you, area experts? Pros and cons in favour of one or the other? How easy/difficult would it be to get a taxi there and, more especially, to get another back to the airport?

I expect Royal will have a post-cruise excursion on offer but if past form is anything to go by then it's likely to be not much more than an expensive drive-by of a few sites in the centre of Rome.

Any other suggestions? As a last resort, and probably only if the weather is having a tantrum, I suppose we could book a day room at the Hilton, which I'm sure would be more comfortable than sitting around the airport terminal for most of the day but I'd kind of feel like it would be a wasted day.

My vote would be for Ostia Antica, unless the weather is bad. The site is large and generally is uncrowded (unless you happen to hit a day with a lot of Italian school children on field trips....!)  Take a map of the site with you and some notes if possible. There is a good website here with info:

https://www.ostia-antica.org/visiting.htm

You should have no problem getting a taxi there from the airport, and yes it is very close. When you are ready to return you could either ask someone to call a taxi for you from the ticket kiosk or walk back to the train station where there is likely to be one (or you can ask someone there to call).

• Thanks 1

Like CruiseMom we would also suggest just taking a taxi over to Ostia Antica for a couple of hours (or more) in those fascinating ruins.   As to the nearby seaside communities (we have stayed and dined in Fiumcino a couple of times) I do not see any strong attraction for a few daytime hours unless is looking for a nearby place to enjoy lunch.

Hank

• Thanks 2

Another option is to book a transfer tour with Rome cabs.   They will pick you up and take you to a variety of places,  like the Etruscan Center at Cerveteri and the Orsini castle.  They have several tours you can choose from depending on your interests.  We have used them many times with good results. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Another option is to book a transfer tour with Rome cabs.   They will pick you up and take you to a variety of places,  like the Etruscan Center at Cerveteri and the Orsini castle.  They have several tours you can choose from depending on your interests.  We have used them many times with good results. 

Or any of the other commonly mentioned vendors here. We like Rome in Limo, which also gets many recommendations. That will take care of your luggage issue, and by going direct, give you more time there. 

FCO is not a well organized airport. Give yourself 2 hours to get through the process.

• Thanks 2

On 11/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Or any of the other commonly mentioned vendors here. We like Rome in Limo, which also gets many recommendations. That will take care of your luggage issue, and by going direct, give you more time there. 

FCO is not a well organized airport. Give yourself 2 hours to get through the process.

Most knowledgeable sources suggest allowing three hours for checking in for an international (non-Schengen) flight out of FCO.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Most knowledgeable sources suggest allowing three hours for checking in for an international (non-Schengen) flight out of FCO.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

It would appear theOP is flying to Portugal. 

Yes, flying to Portugal, so it's Schengen. It's also on TAP which means it will probably be delayed and check-in/bag drop probably won't open until exactly two hours before the scheduled departure time. 

Even so, I will plan on getting to the airport about 2.5 hours before to be on the safe side, not least since I'm a nervous traveller.